BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2015 8:09 pm  #5161

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

An interesting essay on queer reading of Guy Ritchie´s Holmes and BBC Sherlock (it´s downloadable, but also readable from the page, you just need to scroll it down):

http://www.academia.edu/8281600/Paying_the_Rent_and_Other_Queer_Issues_surrounding_Neo-Victorian_Representation_of_Sherlock_Holmes

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 3, 2015 8:25 pm  #5162

And this is a whole book discussing genre and gender in BBC Sherlock, Elementary and some other adaptations:

http://dr.library.brocku.ca/bitstream/handle/10464/6024/Brock_Lackey_Jennifer_2015.pdf?sequence=1

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 3, 2015 9:08 pm  #5163

Oh, thank you for those, nakahara! I'm going to read them soon...ish    

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 4, 2015 9:23 pm  #5164

Ahem, what an interesting little piece of information about where Mark finds his inspiration :

http://hudders-and-hiddles.tumblr.com/post/132557542619/cupidford-stickyrive-gatissmark-mark

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2015 9:28 pm  #5165

SusiGo wrote:

Ahem, what an interesting little piece of information about where Mark finds his inspiration :

http://hudders-and-hiddles.tumblr.com/post/132557542619/cupidford-stickyrive-gatissmark-mark

I´m not even surprised! 

November 4, 2015 9:30 pm  #5166

Neither am I. I once had a look at his very own magnum opus "The King's Men". 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2015 9:33 pm  #5167

I saw excerpt from that on the internet. It was "educative" to say the least. 

Last edited by nakahara (November 4, 2015 9:35 pm)

November 4, 2015 9:34 pm  #5168

November 4, 2015 9:35 pm  #5169

LOL! 

November 5, 2015 12:04 pm  #5170

They are so married:

November 5, 2015 2:18 pm  #5171

I just discovered this post concerning the queer reading of S.H. and it´s very, very good:

http://just-sort-of-happened.tumblr.com/post/132548276741/murlockholmes-in-all-this-fandom-wankery-i

November 5, 2015 2:54 pm  #5172

Brilliant.

November 5, 2015 8:56 pm  #5173

I wish I could get my husband to read that link you posted, nakahara. Just yesterday we had a little "debate" about Johnlock. He says that after watching the entire series twice, he just doesn't see it (Johnlock) and thinks people are twisting the show into something it's not for some sort of gay fetish! I keep saying it's okay if he doesn't see it or want to see it, but he shouldn't put other people (including me) down for seeing it, as everyone has their own interpretation. I can't have a real debate with him about it as his idea of debating is talking loudly over the top of the other person and I always forget all the good arguments anyway (until I'm replaying the conversation in my head the way it should have gone, lol) My husband has always claimed he's not homophobic but I am beginning to think he is in a way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 5, 2015 10:07 pm  #5174

ukaunz wrote:

I wish I could get my husband to read that link you posted, nakahara. Just yesterday we had a little "debate" about Johnlock. He says that after watching the entire series twice, he just doesn't see it (Johnlock) and thinks people are twisting the show into something it's not for some sort of gay fetish! I keep saying it's okay if he doesn't see it or want to see it, but he shouldn't put other people (including me) down for seeing it, as everyone has their own interpretation. I can't have a real debate with him about it as his idea of debating is talking loudly over the top of the other person and I always forget all the good arguments anyway (until I'm replaying the conversation in my head the way it should have gone, lol) My husband has always claimed he's not homophobic but I am beginning to think he is in a way.

We are from the very young age led into some ingrained ways of thinking. So in the case of your husband, it must not be a real homophobia, but merely the unwillingness to abandon certain patterns of perception and stubborness / inability to open the mind towards alternative ways of deciphering the content of an artistic product. The ways of thinking we are used to are confortable for us, so it´s a hard fight to change them. I think you are brave that you even started that discussion with him and tried to widen his horizont a bit.

And yes, conversations we replay in our heads are usually witty and snappish (I do it too) - too bad they rarely go like that in real life. 

November 6, 2015 12:12 am  #5175

Heads up ladies!!!

IT'S A CLUE!

http://sylviatietjens.co.vu/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2015 12:12 am  #5176

This is very OT, but there is more to my husbands "not homophobic" claim than just this conversation which would be too complicated and OT to explain here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 7, 2015 1:23 pm  #5177

This is probably not the right thread for this, but had no idea where to put it:

NRK (Norway's public tv channel, our BBC if you like) has an article about fanfiction, OTP and fandoms on their front site today. This is the picture they use on the front page:

[img]http://gfx.nrk.no/front/2015/06/24/c=440,242,2013,2013;w=325;h=325;59673.jpg[/img]

Here's the article: https://nrkbeta.no/2015/11/06/hva-ville-skjedd-om-harry-potter-ikke-vokste-opp-i-kottet-under-trappen/

There's one section about Johnlock, with The Eyesex scene gif. And as if that wasn't enough, there's another section about fandom including the interview with Ben where he comments on Johnlock fan art and fanfiction.

AND a quote from Moffat about Sherlock fanfiction.

Not shabby. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 7, 2015 2:56 pm  #5178

Ah nice :D Isn't it great how our languages are quite simular so I could read that? ;)

-Could you whisper...?
-NOT REALLY!!

November 7, 2015 4:33 pm  #5179

The perks of being a Scandinavian. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 7, 2015 6:05 pm  #5180

Indeed 

-Could you whisper...?
-NOT REALLY!!

Board footera