BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2015 3:39 pm  #361

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

I just opened Hamlet again as well. 

My edition is looking worse for wear by now, I've had it in my bag for 7 years now and it's still full of pencil notes from when I wrote my major project on 'The madness in Shakespeare's Hamlet' (the teachers called me mad for choosing that subject). 

But it always feels like revisiting an old friend. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (July 20, 2015 3:40 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 20, 2015 4:25 pm  #362

gently69 wrote:

Yeah, I felt the flow with that OTHER actor already, Solar.

Well, you should be fine then. With Benedict the flow might feel even more... flowy.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 21, 2015 8:24 am  #363

And above all, this time it will be a live experinece.
Sorry, too much OT.

Go on with books then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 21, 2015 7:33 pm  #364

I only read "Julius Caesar" by Shakespeare long, long ago at school - found it terrible!! I never understood why we had to read this certain book by the Bard, although there are so many other famous plays (not mention the ones taking place in England!). This old Roman/Latin stuff :-/!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 22, 2015 10:01 pm  #365

"It" by Stephen King. And don't laugh, but it's the first one of his novels for me...
I always thought they were too sadistic for my likes, so it took time for me to give it a go. But I'm enjoying it quite a lot!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 23, 2015 1:28 pm  #366

mrshouse wrote:

"It" by Stephen King. And don't laugh, but it's the first one of his novels for me...
I always thought they were too sadistic for my likes, so it took time for me to give it a go. But I'm enjoying it quite a lot!

Enjoy it! It's one of the best books he's ever written!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 27, 2015 8:11 pm  #367

Shakespeare= universal truths. Whether a play in set in Ancient Rome, Denmark, Scotland, Venice or on a fantasy island is ultimately unimportant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2015 4:58 am  #368

I'm listening to an audiobook at the moment, and wishing (ironically) that it came with subtitles. It's called Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch, the second book in the Peter Grant series, read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith. Kobna is doing a fantastic job with all the different character voices, but in the chapter I'm listening to at the moment, Peter is talking on the phone to another character who has a severe speech impediment, and I just can't understand the dialogue! I keep having to rewind and replay it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 18, 2015 3:12 pm  #369

Just finished "Nachtzug nach Lissabon" (Night Train to Lisbon) and loved it!!
Next one waiting for me is... please guess... yeah, Hamlet. What else.

@ ukaunz: I've read "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch, it was a nice one but the magic stuff got on my nerves at some point and I didn't read the second one ;-) Still, the London stuff was great :D

Last edited by Whisky (September 18, 2015 3:18 pm)

"It is what it is."

October 11, 2015 8:18 am  #370

I only have my Kobo with me in London and I am currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin on it.
At home, my real book is the first ever Philip Dick sci fi I've read: The man in the high castle high.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 12, 2015 4:23 pm  #371

Im starting Death Note  shouldnt have seen the anime though 

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

October 12, 2015 5:02 pm  #372

I'm reading "Letters to a Young Poet" by Rilke, for a class.  I didn't care for it the first time I read it. Hope it seems better now...

A full shuttle and a long warp...

November 4, 2015 10:42 pm  #373

So much for "What are you reading at the moment." I'm going to talk about the book I just finished.

For the past month or two (I've had  stuff  to read for class, so this book took some time to get through), I've bee reading Making Masterpiece by Rebecca Eaton, who is (was?) the executive producer of Masterpiece, which is the program that, among other things, airs Sherlock and Downton Abbey in the US.
There's not a ton of talk about Sherlock in the book, but I still thought it was quite an interesting book to read about the history of the TV program and the people who have been involved.  

The middle of the book has some  colour  photos, some nice Downton Abbey ones and a couple Sherlock ones.  I especiallly like the one of the cameraman running after Sherlock and John.

There's also a kind of funny bit in the Afterword, where she's talking about how thanks to what she calls "the digital age," we can watch TV shows pretty much whenever we want.  She writes, "You can get comfortable on the couch on a rainy Sunday and watch the entire first season of Endeavor or Mr. Selfridge or the three episodes of Sherlock that you missed last year." I don't think I need to explain why I chuckled at that.
She also talks about people connecting over the programs.  I think this forum is a testament to how people connect over Sherlock.

Clueing for looks.

November 5, 2015 6:34 am  #374

I actually have rather a lot to catch up on with this thread, and even though I am now well back form London....still too much!
Anyhow I finished the Philip Dick(good but odd) and am now reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods...
It's the size of War and Peace, so I may be quite some time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 5, 2015 12:50 pm  #375

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 26, 2016 2:01 pm  #376

I just started reading Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. I'm fairly new to Discworld, but I'm enjoying it so far. Having a good chuckle at Terry's way with words

Granny glared up sternly. Their wills clanged like cymbals and the air between them thickened. But Granny had spent a lifetime bending recalcitrant creatures to her bidding and, while Esk was a surprisingly strong opponent, it was obvious that she would give in before the end of the paragraph.

I'd be thrilled to be able to write like that!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 26, 2016 4:24 pm  #377

Friday I started reading "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins.  I was hooked from the first page.  It is hard to put down.   I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed "Gone Girl."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Girl-Train-Paula-Hawkins/dp/1594633665

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 26, 2016 5:05 pm  #378

Does anybody know if Girl on a train is like the film?
Cos my parents hated it!
I suspect I'm way behind with this thread...let's see what I was last reading.
Oh right, not so bad!
So I eventually finished Neil Gaiman and have since been reading a Scottish Quartet.
I'm almost up to the last of the four!
After that, it's a couple of Sherlockian things.

Oh I also eventually completed Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Oh and at school I'm reading the wonderful 'Carrie's War', with my top readers.

Last edited by besleybean (January 26, 2016 5:06 pm)

January 26, 2016 6:15 pm  #379

The film of "Girl on the Train"  won't be released until October.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 26, 2016 6:23 pm  #380

Oh sorry...I must have the wrong one then.
Though knowing my mother, she told me the wrong title!

Board footera