BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2012 2:27 pm  #1

Benedict's eyes

Whilst watching a bit of Sherlock during my holiday in France it was very interesting to see the reaction of people to him who had never seen the programme before (yes these sad souls do exist). The first reaction from several people was to comment upon his eyes e.g. 'doesn't he have unusual eyes', 'loo mad eyes' (though this was in the scene where he has to say why the painting is a fake in The Great Game' so he is a bit manic in it. It just struck me that it was his eyes people noticed first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 23, 2012 2:42 pm  #2

Re: Benedict's eyes

Eyes?
What do you mean?

Oh you mean the slanted blue/green eyes that seem to only fit on that gorgeous otter face?

Yeah, they're ok I guess.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 23, 2012 2:46 pm  #3

Someone get a brown paper bag for Kaz to breath into!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 23, 2012 2:51 pm  #4

Well, it's hard to miss something so incredibly gorgeous and striking. Especially when they are so perfectly placed on an equally gorgeous and striking face. *melts*

*hands kazza474 a paper bag and takes one for herself*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 23, 2012 2:51 pm  #5

such beautiful eyes..
lovely~!

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 23, 2012 2:59 pm  #6

42_and_221B wrote:

Well, it's hard to miss something so incredibly gorgeous and striking. Especially when they are so perfectly placed on an equally gorgeous and striking face. *melts*

*hands kazza474 a paper bag and takes one for herself*

Thanks; but I am somewhat immune.
They are on my desktop and I DON'T shut down when I go to bed; I just stare at the computer screen from across the room. Hence why I seem dopey here at times, I've been 'eye staring' before I start! lol

Seriously though; put a mass murderer in those eyes and I'd swoon as well. I can't help it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 23, 2012 4:17 pm  #7

So...the eyes have it!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 23, 2012 6:38 pm  #8

May I add this one?

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 23, 2012 7:18 pm  #9

There's a peculiarity about Benedict's eyes, which has even been described by Thomas Mann in his novel 'Magic Mountain': The lids almost disappear in a fold of skin, which makes them look slanted. It is considered a minor blemish, and many afflicted people get a surgical correction. In Thomas Mann's novel the female character (Clawdia Chauchat) is considered to be mysteriously attractive because of those eyes. I have a friend with eyes like that, and was always fascinated. I think, Ben Cumberbatch's sightly alien look contributes a lot of fascination to this version of  Sherlock Holmes.

March 24, 2012 3:53 pm  #10

Here they are traditionally described as 'almond-shaped' eyes.

April 2, 2012 11:07 am  #11

i guess, I've infected some family members with the 'Sherlock Virus' after all. My son told me this weekend, that he got all his friends into the show. They are also now very excited about Ben Cumberbatch being Smaug in the upcoming 'Hobbit' movie. When I told him, that Ben not only gave Smaug his voice, but that he did also the motion captions for Smaug, he said: 'Why did they motion capture him? Cumberbatch looks so outlandish,  especially his eyes... he could portrait Smaug just with his eyes, his body and his voice and make us all believe, he's a dragon. He is just that good as an actor!'

Last edited by sherlocked (April 2, 2012 11:08 am)

April 2, 2012 11:34 am  #12

Awesome! It's good to hear Ben being appreciated for his acting skills and not just his physical attributes by crazy fan girls!

April 2, 2012 11:41 am  #13

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Awesome! It's good to hear Ben being appreciated for his acting skills and not just his physical attributes by crazy fan girls!

I know... and it's good, it really is. Some of my friends think that I have a "physical" crush on him but it's not that... he's so talented... in fact I really don't find him so attractive physically speaking. He's just an amazing actor. And I do believe he could convince me of anything, even of being a dragon with no make up at all. He has such an  amazing control of his face and his voice...
I think he will someday be remembered the way Laurence Olivier or John Gielgud are now. Just wait and see...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 2, 2012 11:54 am  #14

Irene_Adler wrote:

Some of my friends think that I have a "physical" crush on him but it's not that... he's so talented... in fact I really don't find him so attractive physically speaking. He's just an amazing actor.

I know exactly what you mean. Although I do find him physically attractive but not when he's playing Sherlock and is all skinny & wan lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 2, 2012 1:32 pm  #15

LOL yep he's not handsome (IMO he's too skinny right? XD)  but somehow he had something "sparkling" from inside to outside and makes us get interesting on him :D

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

April 2, 2012 1:36 pm  #16

You're right theCuriousOne, I don't think he's a standard hadsome man but there's something about him... don't know what it is, he's magnetic.

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 2, 2012 3:00 pm  #17

Ha, ha, I only find Ben physically attractive, when he's skinny and playing Sherlock, not so much in other roles. Everybody has a different taste, but I ALWAYS think, he's a great actor, and I absolutely know, that I will feel sorry now for Smaug, when he's shot down from the sky. Someone owed Smaug a fall, too, I guess.
I couldn't stop laughing, when my son said, Ben would be a perfectly believable dragon without any computer assistance. Could there be a bigger compliment for a great actor?

April 2, 2012 3:29 pm  #18

Magnetism seems to be quite an appropriate word actually, yes!

April 2, 2012 7:16 pm  #19

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Magnetism seems to be quite an appropriate word actually, yes!

Magnetic and hypnotic, that's what I find him to be.

I think I will also feel sorry for Smaug, sherlocked... but then again, Bilbo will be Martin Awesome Freeman so I'll have a divided heart... oh, that movie is going to make me cry anyway...

July 12, 2012 12:35 am  #20

Those eyes are just...
There are scenes in Sherlock when I thought he has a different color in each eye. Like one blue and one green. I thought I'd ask here but then I found this thread The pics made it clear to me that he only has one eye color. 

Board footera