BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2012 7:52 am  #81

Re: MEMBERS POLL: Male or Female?

Just found this thread and voted. 83% female, makes me proud to be one of them! 

I like your idea with the breadcrumbs as well...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

August 9, 2012 11:25 am  #82

.. juuuuust saying that the duality of male and female may not describe us all.

In fact, XX and XY are not the only possible gender chromosome combinations: There have been cases of XO, XXX, XXY, and XYY.

In other words, there might be a few categories missing, as in http://web.uvic.ca/~ahdevor/HowMany/HowMany.html to describe us all.

As for me, I am quite boring and standard in this regard but I work with an increasing number of people who do not fit the old duality.

The Australian government recently clarified

"Their Revised Policy
Sex reassignment surgery is not a prerequisite to issue a passport in a new gender. Birth or citizenship certificates do not need to be amended for sex and gender diverse applicants to be issued a passport in their preferred gender." more at https://www.passports.gov.au/web/sexgenderapplicants.aspx

"Australian passports will now have three gender options male, female and indeterminate under new guidelines to remove discrimination against transgender and intersex people, the government said Thursday.

Intersex people, those born with reproductive or sexual anatomy that does not fit the typical definitions of female or male, will be able to list their gender on passports as X.

Transgender people, whose perception of their own sex is at odds with their birth gender, will be able to pick whether they are male or female if their choice is supported by a doctor's statement."

August 9, 2012 7:38 pm  #83

MollyHfan wrote:

When I first read your post, I thought you were saying that you were 83% female.

Anyway, a tangential note to this thread: Some of you may enjoy the novel Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Last edited by veecee (August 9, 2012 8:07 pm)

August 9, 2012 8:01 pm  #84

veecee wrote:

MollyHfan wrote:

When I first read your post, I thought you were saying that you were 85% female.

Anyway, a tangential note to this thread: Some of you may enjoy the novel Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 9, 2012 8:31 pm  #85

Well....

*philosophical part of brain on*
WHO is 100% male - or female ?
*philosophical part of brain off*

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 7, 2012 9:50 pm  #86

veecee wrote:

OK, here's a supplemental question:
Whatever you are, would you change for Sherlock?

I'm a sworn bachelorette....but for SHERLOCK....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 7, 2012 9:52 pm  #87

I would love to meet him, if he was real!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2012 6:58 am  #88

besleybean wrote:

I would love to meet him, if he was real!

I'd love to meet him even if he's not real.  Then it's all about perception, Sherlock seems more real to me than some of the people I know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

November 8, 2012 7:02 am  #89

I couldn't agree more!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2013 2:32 pm  #90

This is weird. Somewhere I've read that 'Sherlock' is most liked by boys.
84% female, I'm one of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 8, 2013 2:44 pm  #91

Mary Me wrote:

This is weird. Somewhere I've read that 'Sherlock' is most liked by boys.
84% female, I'm one of them.

Definitely not. Have a look at tumblr.  So many fangirls (and ladies) …

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2013 3:11 pm  #92

Yeah, I see. :D
German internet news, rubbish.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 8, 2013 5:07 pm  #93

I think the most liked by boys thing may refer to the original stories.

February 19, 2013 11:10 am  #94

veecee wrote:

IdigN1, don't worry. We love you guys! (How American is that?)

There's certainly plenty in the program for men: action, fistfights, swordfights, gunshots, explosions, intrigue, guys making fun of each other, techno gadgets, beautiful babes, cars, chases, blood... Oops! Am I stereotyping?

Anyway, should we figure out how to get more of them on the forum, or just let it roll?

You just described my favorite kinds of movies and TV shows! Oh yeah I'm a girl, an older one at that even. I can't stand chick flicks or love scenes. I do love D&D films. (Death and Destruction) My daughter's boyfriend thinks I'm 'the bomb'! LOL She keeps trying to drag him to films that no teenaged boy would be caught dead watching! He's a great boyfriend though, because he goes.

Over the years I have found that many of these kinds of forums are heavily populated with women/girls. Fan fiction authors are predominately women. Not all of them of course, but you will find that the stats mirror what we see in this poll.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 21, 2013 3:15 pm  #95

The poll is now at 86% women percentage. ;)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 21, 2013 5:14 pm  #96

It was 100% on my last forum!

February 21, 2013 5:58 pm  #97

besleybean wrote:

It was 100% on my last forum!

Oh, what kind of forum was it? Sherlock related too?

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 21, 2013 5:59 pm  #98

Yep.

February 21, 2013 6:03 pm  #99

Nah, what else? 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 21, 2013 6:12 pm  #100

Wow, that's a lot of girls... XD

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
"The Sherlock show is the equivalent of a pack of chips, a box full of popcorn or an assortment of the finest Swiss chocolate; once you start, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP. EVER. IT'S THAT GOOD." quoted by me when trying to convince my friends to watch the show.

If you want to check out my music works, here's my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JayhanTheMusician?feature=mhee
If you like my works, then like my facebook page ;D : https://www.facebook.com/Julia.Jayhan.Handschin

Board footera