BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2015 3:44 pm  #41

Re: The third explanation

Count me in as another convinced one. The meta is brilliant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 22, 2015 8:29 pm  #42

What do you think, nakahara?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 22, 2015 8:50 pm  #43

I would really wonder about John if this meta would prove true.

Like, he faces death and yet he thinks of such trivialities in his very last moments? It´s like standing before a firing squad and to think in your last minute that a Tartar Steak you had at dinner was no fresh or that dress you wore at last ball was out of date. Seriously, who does that? Why would John be worried about the means of Sherlock survival or the details of a "Skeleton Case" in his last seconds on Earth? Wouldn´t the threat of imminent death make those things absolutely insignificant?

Also, he would greatly disappoint me. Because this theory would make his forgiveness (and thus his magnanimous, kind nature) into naught and would replace it with "he held his grudge even beyond grave" revelation. Not sure I would like that.

That aside, I still think that "imagined scene" took place in reality somehow. Anderson is too cosy to Sherlock during a drug bust in HLV. And yet I doubt they are close friends or that they meet frequently. So why is Anderson so bold suddenly? Because that touchy-feely-weepy scene in which he asked for Sherlock´s forgiveness actually happened in Sherlockverse and was not merely a figment of John´s imagination, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 22, 2015 9:54 pm  #44

I think I have to agree with nakahara here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 23, 2015 4:31 pm  #45

Please have a look at the very end of this very longpost - the thing about the coat. Quite interesting, if you ask me:

http://wellthengameover.tumblr.com/post/131751289382/williamanyascottholmes-wellthengameover

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 23, 2015 4:54 pm  #46

That's a good one!

If I may play devil's advocate here, though - the coat argument could also be used to defend the theory that Sherlock was simply lying to Anderson (i.e. it was still "real" and not in John's imagination).

Sigh - these writers are the masters of ambiguity.

October 23, 2015 4:59 pm  #47

True. I just read the scene again and it is strange that Sherlock should mention the coat at all when Anderson did not. Only lies have detail. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera