BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2015 3:47 pm  #1

Dentist drama :(

I went to the Dentist on Friday as one of my upper back molars was hurting. I thought it was just that it was a bit broken (I had work done on it already) but once she had a look at it she said that the situation isn’t good and the tooth can’t be saved. So now I have to have it extracted!!   I’ve had loads of dental work done before but never an extraction, and now I’m terrified! Not even of the pain – she’s going to give me 2 injections so apart from the pinch of the injection itself, which I hate!- I shouldn’t be able to feel anything -  but it’s the thought of what she’s going to do that terrifies me! I’m scared of the pulling she’s going to have to do and the blood and I’m scared I’m going to faint

Do you have any advice? Has any of you had this done before?

October 19, 2015 4:00 pm  #2

Re: Dentist drama :(

I am the world's greatest dental phobic.
But I have had a few extractions...no problem.
The issue for me is that anaesthetics don't work on me.
But as long as you don't let them touch you until you feel numb, it should be fine.
I don't tend to bleed a lot, but if this is your first, you won't know until it's done.
I've never felt like fainting!
The noise is sometimes  a bit off putting

Last edited by besleybean (October 19, 2015 4:01 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 19, 2015 4:33 pm  #3

I had four extractions a while ago and found it bearable.
Didn't feel much pain, and the work on the jaw wasn't nice but I could deal with it.

Where did you get your information about tooth extraction from?
Did other people tell you it's that bad? Or the dentist?
For me, it's nothing I'd look forward to, but nothing to be really scared of either.
I'm saying this to encourage you - dentists have improved a lot indeed.

It might take a while to fully heal. However, after the second day things will probably be much better already 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 19, 2015 4:36 pm  #4

Nobody really scared me, I've actually heard from people that it's not that bad, but I scared myself basically. I'm super squeamish and scared of injections (can't even look at my arm when I do a blood test) and I am prone to panic attacks so I'm scared I'm going to work myself up for no reason.
I appreciate you trying to reassure me- it's exactly what I need!

October 19, 2015 4:47 pm  #5

I see - did you talk to your dentist about that? Perhaps she knows some methods to help you in this situation. You are not the first one with troubles like that, so no need to keep it to yourself.

Some people feel hypnosis helpful, others make an agreement that the dentist will take a break when needed. Some want to be told about every step that is going on and how long it will take - I'm always glad when someone tells me "It's half over already..." or "The worst is behind us now"
You might also want to bring a friend...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 19, 2015 4:58 pm  #6

Do they have the special anaesthetic gel they can put on before your injection?
I'm fortunate that an injection won't bother me at all.
Extractions are preferable to root canal work!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 19, 2015 6:44 pm  #7

I'm sorry to hear that you have to have your tooth extracted.  It's not fun, even if you don't feel anything.
I had four teeth extracted a few years ago (one molar from each quadrant of my mouth) because my mouth was too small for all my teeth and I had braces so I needed space for my teeth to move to.  My experience is probably different from yours if you are only having a couple needles.  They put me to sleep (not a deep sleep, but I was unconscious for the procedure).  I was very relieved by this since I had had a baby tooth removed (it wasn't loosening properly because the adult tooth grew in behind it...that was fun getting fixed ) and even though I had needles for that I still remember it feeling bad.
I have a friend who had teeth removed without being asleep.  As has already been mentioned in this conversation, the sound of it happening was the worst for her since she didn't feel anything.
As for the bleeding, they should give you lots of gauze to use for that and to replace, so I don't think you should worry about that part.
The procedure shouldn't last very long.  I think the worst part is when you have the tender spot in your gums for a few weeks after.  Your tooth roots are long (I kept my extracted teeth, it's quite fascinating), so there will be a "hole" there until it heals over, so make sure you have lots of soft foods and liquids to eat and drink until you feel more comfortable chewing things.  That was the most frustrating part for me, not being able to eat comfortably (and I had four holes, you'll just have one lucky you)
I really hope the person who does the procedure is nice and makes you feel a little more at ease.  Best of luck.

Clueing for looks.

October 20, 2015 8:57 am  #8

besleybean wrote:

Do they have the special anaesthetic gel they can put on before your injection?
I'm fortunate that an injection won't bother me at all.
Extractions are preferable to root canal work!

Are they? I've had loads of root canals, I'm not scared of them

October 20, 2015 1:24 pm  #9

Have you had the extractions done now, Dorothy? How are you feeling?

Sorry, the only experience I can provide is extraction of the wisdom teeth and it didn't terrify me. As you say, the pulling is maybe the most uncomfortable part. But I'm not afraid of injections.
Since the one of them grew out a bit weird angled and the gums started to hurt it was just a relief.
Apart from that I'm almost ashamed to say that I have ridiculous healthy teeth. No fillings, miles away from any root canal works, just the old professional cleansing from time to time.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 21, 2015 8:57 am  #10

Lucky you... I have always been super unlucky with teeth

No I haven't had it yet. Currently trying to work out a date that works so that I can stay home and recover...

October 21, 2015 4:20 pm  #11

I've always had bad teeth, and have gone through several painful procedures myself - some quite recently.

For me, apart from the pain and discomfort, the most difficult part is being consciously aware of the work being done at the time.

I've learned how to make this part more bearable, which works well for me personally.  Perhaps it will work for you, as well.

The first challenge is to relax.  I take deep, measured breaths through my nose, and untense my muscles.  I almost seem to disassociate my mouth from the rest of my body.  This is not easy when you're undergoing a procedure, but it is possible.

The second things I do is to put my mind elsewhere.  Distraction.  I ponder theories, mentally plan projects, go over the events of a book I'm reading - stuff like that.

Try picking the most intriguing Sherlock mystery you know.  Brush up on the details.  Then, when you're undergoing treatment, focus on that mystery and toy with the pieces of the puzzle.

It is not always easy to remain focused.  But even just trying to remain focused could be enough of a distraction to get you through another piece of the procedure.

Best of luck!

October 22, 2015 1:04 pm  #12

Thanks Magingus. That's a great idea. Perhaps I'll try and work out the plot of my Secret Santa fic - who knows, perhaps inspiration will strike while I'm at the dentist...

October 22, 2015 2:07 pm  #13

You're welcome!  Working on a story plot is a great idea!  I hope it helps.

October 22, 2015 2:23 pm  #14

Dorothy, good luck with your extractions! 

I had two wisdom teeth removed this year by operation...

After you have it done I suggest you follow the instructions from the dentist about the aftercare... I didn't do that completely and got drysocket. That was the worst part of the entire thing. 

As someone who deals with pain daily I think Maginus is on to something good, distraction is so important! 
You can 'control' a lot of it with your mind. Working on your story is awesome, I've used that 'trick' since I was a little girl. 
The more you focus on something the less you think about the pain and the uncomfortable situation around you. 

When my back and hip pains started getting really serious at the end of 2013; I found out that somehow Bob Dylan and Joan Baez' music seemed to help me drift off... I then discovered Sherlock and Benedict and that works just the same. 

Good luck Dorothy, and try not to get too worried on beforehand, that's only going to make the whole thing worse. Keep telling yourself it's going to be okay, trust yourself. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 22, 2015 3:10 pm  #15

I will try! I'm trying to do it right now - I'm thinking I need to absolutely stop getting myself worked up.

I will just lay there thinking about John and Sherlock kissing

Board footera