BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2012 5:51 am  #1

A Question for Americans

This question was asked on a talk back show on the radio today. I've never seen this myself and tried googling the answer with limited success. I wondered if I could find the definitive answer here.

Apparently this person was in the USA watching TV. At the end of some shows, a slogan came up on the bottom of the screen saying "Characters Welcome".

What does it mean? Is it a TV Network's advertising slogan or something? And if so, what does it mean? lol

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 22, 2012 3:12 pm  #2

Re: A Question for Americans

Yeah, that's the USA Network's slogan.

From my understanding, the word "characters" is used as a sort of double meaning: "characters" as in fictional characters, and "characters" as in people who are unusual, interesting, or stand out from the norm. So basically the way I understood it was that the USA Network is trying to advertise that they have interesting and unique characters in their TV shows -- characters that stand out from "normal" fictional characters.

Haha, hope that makes some semblance of sense. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 22, 2012 3:13 pm  #3

I saw this topic and thought, "Hey, I'm an American!"

I don't know if people in other countries use this expression, but to describe someone who is funny or eccentric, we might say "He/She's a real character." That, coupled with the fact that the USA network (the tv network that uses that slogan) provides shows with fictionalized characters in them, it is kind of a clever play on words.

March 23, 2012 5:16 am  #4

Ahhhh. Thanks.
Yes, we Aussies call people like that 'characters' too.

It must be the way it looks on-screen because a few 'theories' had it as an advertisement of some kind (wanting characters). That didn't seem right to me. I figured the 'slogan' was the better bet.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 23, 2012 7:52 am  #5

We use the same phrase too here in 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera