BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2015 10:46 am  #21

Re: On Writing

silverblaze wrote:

Foreign languages: When I think in English, I think in English, no Dutch enters into it unless I'm really struggling to find a word, which is relatively rare. If I don't know a word, I usually just look it up on the internet. With translation it's useful not to just look at a dictionary translation but also to look how a word is used and by whom.

That's nearly the way I do it. I'm using public transport a lot, more than two hours every day, to work and back. And now I use the time to work on my Secret Santa Fic for example. I put earphones with music on and then I'm able to blend out everything around. I write by hand in my notebook and think in English while writing. It's not that difficult because Sherlock and especially related fan fics only work in English for me. If I don't know words I just write them down in German and look them up in the Internet later. When I type the story parts into the computer. That's also the first revision of my text.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 5, 2015 11:42 am  #22

gently69 wrote:

Sherlock and especially related fan fics only work in English for me.

Same for me.

"It is what it is."

October 6, 2015 5:38 am  #23

I also think in English when writing fan fics.

As for how I write fan fics, there are two mayor ways for me. The first is that I go over a scene in my mind again and again. Those are mostly very emotional scenes. I try to live them in my mind from several perspectives (well, two perspectives, Sherlock's and John's)  to get a clear idea how everybody is feeling in the situation.
The second way is sitting down on front of my laptop and just start writing. Sometimes, ideas come up that I didn't have before. When I do that, I must sometimes force myself to erase whole pages because the story developed into the wrong direction but sometimes I surprise myself with the outcome.

As for the plot, I always have a general idea about what will happen. I wrote Crossing Bridges with a detailed writing plan. Hence I was able to write the difficult part in, say, chapter 5 before writing chapter 4 where the story has to lead to what would happen in chapter 5. I only started publishing it when it was completely finished.

For Not Broken, every chapter was uploaded as soon as it was finished. I felt that very liberating somehow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 6, 2015 9:10 am  #24

Whisky wrote:

gently69 wrote:

Same for me.

Same, but I have to say - sometimes I like to read stories in Italian (my native language), even though I cringe at the descriptions of London and/or British stuff/attitudes/worldview (because most are very generic or stereotyped), because of the way some words sound or feel in the context of Johnlock. For example - 'to make love' - in English it's cheesy and, while sweet, it tends to feel out of place in Sherlock fics. But in Italian, it doesn't have that 'cheesiness', it sounds exactly right for what John and Sherlock would be doing - literally 'sex with feelings', makes me feel all warm inside.

Sorry if this is off topic or inappropriate, haha

October 6, 2015 9:25 am  #25

Whisky wrote:

gently69 wrote:

Same for me.

I agree. I once translated one of my fics into German and it somehow sounded very strange to me. Not sure if the reason is that it was in German or that I translated my own text. And it was not even Johnlock but a humorous one but still, it was not the same. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 21, 2015 11:21 pm  #26

Thanks for your answers!! :-) :-)

Which tense do you write in, usually? Which is your favourite?
I'm asking because the "easiest one" everybody suggests for me isn't the easiest one, apparently, as I tend to end up in another. So I'm curios - again :-)

"It is what it is."

October 21, 2015 11:31 pm  #27

Dorothy83 wrote:

For example - 'to make love' - in English it's cheesy and, while sweet, it tends to feel out of place in Sherlock fics. But in Italian, it doesn't have that 'cheesiness', it sounds exactly right for what John and Sherlock would be doing - literally 'sex with feelings', makes me feel all warm inside.

Oh yes, I know that feeling. For me, it's usually the other way round: that there is an english word for something but there isn't a german one, and then I'm sad ;-) It's not so often that I write english and long for a german word. Don't know why. Maybe it's because for me, English is the language which has more options for description? Is that true? Susi must know ;-)
E.g. it seems to me as if English has more synonyms, which is handy for writing poetry... And I don't like the German way of creating words just by adding words to each other, because that produces long words that don't hold much meaning of their own. Still, I do like German as a language ;-)

"It is what it is."

October 22, 2015 5:44 am  #28

I know I may be biased, but I am a huge fan of English!
Precisely because it does have so many options of  and variations in words.
I dearly love my adopted Scots and there are some wonderfully descriptive Scots words.
But I still find Scots doesn't have the breadth or depth of vocabulary that English does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera