BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2012 10:30 pm  #1

Olivia Poulet

Although the Blind Banker isn't considered one of the better episodes,  I do love watching the nuanced acting.
Olivia Poulet has always had very good comic timing in her roles (watch the silly end when she finds out her
hairpin is worth 9 million..)-   Added bonus are the Benedict Cumberbatch scenes with her,
very natural,  and funny reactions.   Made more poignant as they had apparently just ended their 11+ yr relationship.

March 24, 2012 11:03 pm  #2

Re: Olivia Poulet

Oh my god, was she Benedict's girlfriend? I had no idea...we're talking about the secretary in the bank right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 24, 2012 11:08 pm  #3

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Oh my god, was she Benedict's girlfriend? I had no idea...we're talking about the secretary in the bank right?

*slap*
Geez keep up!

Yessss the one with the 9 million pound hairpin.
Dear me, more study for you.

The ex-happy couple:

Last edited by kazza474 (March 24, 2012 11:30 pm)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 12:16 am  #4

She also had a small part in 'Day of the Flowers', about some Scottish
folks who journey to Cuba (modern day) - one of the films screened in last
fall's Mill Valley Film Festival (and elsewhere).

June 3, 2012 10:11 pm  #5

OH!  I didn't know SHE was his ex, either.  It kinda puts a different slant on her scene at the end of the episode, if one wants to read anything into it: I thought...he was taking me for granted.  He didn't appreciate me. (Sighs...)  And if not, I wonder if it was hard for her to do that scene.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 3, 2012 11:07 pm  #6

She wasn't his ex when they filmed Season 1. They broke up between Season 1 and 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 3, 2012 11:35 pm  #7

Ahh.  Thanks for setting me straight, Wholocked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 11, 2012 4:07 pm  #8

She's cute - but he can do better

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 11, 2012 4:26 pm  #9

KeepersPrice wrote:

Oh, I don't know... 9 million quid ain't nothin' to sneer at...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 12, 2012 2:27 pm  #10

Tantalus wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Oh, I don't know... 9 million quid ain't nothin' to sneer at...

Are you talking about Olivia Poulet's monetary value or the hairpin in the story?   

I'm just thinking there are an awful lot of ladies standing in line (queue?) right now to take Olivia's place in Benedict's life.  In fact, a stampede is likely.......

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 13, 2012 6:24 am  #11

I also love that part when she learns of the 9mio hairpin. That was great acting. Short scene but really good.

June 13, 2012 10:36 am  #12

kazza474 wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

*slap*
Geez keep up!

Yessss the one with the 9 million pound hairpin.
Dear me, more study for you.

The ex-happy couple:

Not to be catty. even though I am, but Ben can do a lot better than her I am sure he is having a very good time these days

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 13, 2012 11:06 am  #13

Actually, Benedict has said a few times now that he & Olivia are still good friends. Heck they lived together for long enough!
From what I've seen of her she's quite a lovely lady.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 11:20 am  #14

kazza474 wrote:

Actually, Benedict has said a few times now that he & Olivia are still good friends. Heck they lived together for long enough!
From what I've seen of her she's quite a lovely lady.

I am sure that's true kazza but come on! Benedict is in the big leagues now. He can hold out for lovelies like you and I

June 13, 2012 11:51 am  #15

Is this going to end up in the 'have you had any dreams about Sherlock' thread ladies? Phew!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 12:44 pm  #16

Davina wrote:

Is this going to end up in the 'have you had any dreams about Sherlock' thread ladies? Phew!

Yes please! 

August 8, 2012 1:10 pm  #17

This is a really, really, really old thread, but thought I'd add this comment about Olivia Poulet--  I didn't know until I read this thread today that the bank PA in this episode was Ben's GF at the time-- I knew he'd had a 10+ year relationship with someone named Olivia Poulet, but I didn't know that blond gal was her.

Loved her reaction when he said what the worth of the pin was, jumping up and staggering back, and his delightful grin in reaction.

But is that Sherlock's laughter I heard immediately after that, as the camera panned to John, looking through the doorway from Sebastian's office? I couldn't see anyone else laughing, so I figured that the merriment must have continued back in the PA's office. Knowing now that she was Ben's GF at the time, maybe the laughter was spontaneous and the editors decided to keep it in.

August 9, 2012 12:29 am  #18

On a slightly related notes - it is interesting that the option 'Benedict Cumberbatch girlfriend' is suggested by Google as soon as I start typing  'Benedict Cumberbatch'. Seriously?

August 9, 2012 1:40 am  #19

ancientsgate wrote:

Knowing now that she was Ben's GF at the time, maybe the laughter was spontaneous and the editors decided to keep it in.

I very much doubt that. They're both professional actors, they wouldn't have let their personal relationship get into the scene at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 9, 2012 3:24 am  #20

The Doctor wrote:

On a slightly related notes - it is interesting that the option 'Benedict Cumberbatch girlfriend' is suggested by Google as soon as I start typing  'Benedict Cumberbatch'. Seriously?

Well now that a hormone enraged fandom had their hooks in him, I can't see that changing for the poor woman anytime soon. Oddly this fact has probably garnered her more publicity than her work probably has. It has also attracted a lot of 'haters' for no real reason.

Tis why they say "Breaking up is hard to do".

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera