BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2015 9:35 pm  #1861

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

ukaunz wrote:

I'm still trying to work out if it will be based on an ACD story or not. Did those pointy hat people look like KKK? The Five Orange Pips has the clan in it.

I will automatically think of KKK whenever I see several pointy hats. Here it looked like the robes and hats they were wearing, did it not?
I wonder whether they'd go with The Five Orange Pips again -they've already paid tribute to it in TGG, haven't they? It would seem logical, though, that they would place nods here and there to the canon, as they've always done. In what form, though...
As for the line "You promised to keep him safe"...well, it could be from anything, really.
Any progress on that score?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

October 7, 2015 9:36 pm  #1862

nakahara wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

I'm still trying to work out if it will be based on an ACD story or not. Did those pointy hat people look like KKK? The Five Orange Pips has the clan in it.

That´s actually a good theory...

A quick scan of the story and another few watches of the trailer, and I'm almost convinced I'm right

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 7, 2015 9:37 pm  #1863

Solenn wrote:

The way he says " Oh Watson " though ..

But do I think I've heard him say that already...?

Solenn wrote:

Alright , I'm going to bed , too much crazy reactions for tonight !

In the immortal words of The Woman "There's no such thing as too much..."

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

October 7, 2015 9:39 pm  #1864

I actually screamed. It was amazing. My favourite moments:

- They called each other Holmes and Watson
- "Oh Watson..."
- Watson's gun click
- "This is the 19th Century" (just in case the audience hadn't noticed)
- "You're Serlock Holmes, wear the damn hat" and the copycat moment from the Sherlock series in the corridor.
- "The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is..." etc - again a copycat moment from the Sherlock series.
- The fact that it's all spooky and about ghosts and stuff, possibly
- Mary in a black dress
- Lestrade's lamb chops
- "I made me"
- Holmes removing a gun from his dressing gown pocket
- The music

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 7, 2015 9:40 pm  #1865

Lilythiell wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

I will automatically think of KKK whenever I see several pointy hats. Here it looked like the robes and hats they were wearing, did it not?
I wonder whether they'd go with The Five Orange Pips again -they've already paid tribute to it in TGG, haven't they? It would seem logical, though, that they would place nods here and there to the canon, as they've always done. In what form, though...
As for the line "You promised to keep him safe"...well, it could be from anything, really.
Any progress on that score?

I think they could easily go back to the original story for this, after all they only used the "pips" for TGG, and Sherlock explained that it came from secret societies.

They could have invented a wife or fiancé for the character John Openshaw, who Sherlock promises to keep safe from the threat of the orange pips...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 7, 2015 9:42 pm  #1866

Also, The Five Orange Pips story fits with the "ghosts of the past" theme

October 7, 2015 9:44 pm  #1867

Where is it okay to post pics? because someone already made screen crabs... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 7, 2015 9:52 pm  #1868

The Big Special Picture Thread (Spoilers)

October 7, 2015 9:57 pm  #1869

Thanks, I should have known, lol! 

My brain is way too worked up to function properly!

This is the first new thing since I became a fan! And gosh, I'm happy! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 7, 2015 10:25 pm  #1870

Me too Phantom

I thought I would take a look at the IMDB page cast list for more clues. Is this considered spoilers? I'll put in the tags just in case

Other cast:
Amanda Abbington    ... Mary Morstan (so not Mrs Watson yet?)
Rupert Graves    ... DI Lestrade
Louise Brealey    ... Molly Hooper (can't wait to see her! And find out what role she plays)
Jonathan Aris    ... Anderson
Natasha O'Keeffe    (is this the woman in the trailer?)
Una Stubbs ... Mrs. Hudson
Adam Greaves-Neal ... Billy (same actor as Archie in TSoT)
Dionne Vincent ... Actrolyte (makes me think of acolyte, perhaps something to do with cult?)
Gerald Kyd ... Ricoletti (There is a reference to a Ricoletti in The Musgrave Ritual)
Anthony Farrelly ... Cabbie
David Nellist ... Mike Stamford
Gavin Lee Lewis ...    Mime Artiste
Alex Austin ... Alf
Kishan Maru ... Indian Reporter (Indian... something to do with Agra perhaps? Eg. an explanation of Mary Morstan's backstory)
Stephanie Hyam ...    Jane
Nik Davies ... Injured Soldier
Damian Samuels ...    Giles
Sophie Slavin ... Uniformed Police Officer (a female police officer?)
Jessie Hawkes ... Lady In Black (mysterious...)
Taj Smith    ... Businessman
Clem So    ... ?

October 7, 2015 10:29 pm  #1871

ukaunz wrote:

I think they could easily go back to the original story for this, after all they only used the "pips" for TGG, and Sherlock explained that it came from secret societies.

They could have invented a wife or fiancé for the character John Openshaw, who Sherlock promises to keep safe from the threat of the orange pips...

Yes, that sound more than probable!

Well, I think I'll have a nice sleep tonight, if I can manage to calm down enough to actually sleep, that is.

October 7, 2015 11:32 pm  #1872

HD trailer link

October 7, 2015 11:40 pm  #1873

Quite interesting with the character list! 

I tried to sleep... it's 1.40am here right now... but I had to turn my laptop back on and start writing a fan fic... Wonder how many there'll be out the next days inspired by this trailer! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 7, 2015 11:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 8, 2015 12:27 am  #1874

I. Am. Deaded.  The trailer was all I hoped for and more.

Is it wrong that Watson's gun click made my tummy flutter?  

Yes, still want a date, but you know, I figure at worst we've still got less than 3 more months to wait. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 8, 2015 4:21 am  #1875

Ohh… my…  Oh my oh my…  between coming home late to this, and the recent posts in the Sherlock pics thread, I'm so deaded.    Thanks for all the different info fill-ins!  Love the dark, spooky feel, and just the 'Look' of everything!!  And I agree!  Wouldn't it be great if they were really taking advantage of the historical period to do some of the cases that simply wouldn't work in some elements in modern times (i.e. The Five Orange Pips).  And all the nods/nearly identical moments from the modern version!  Eeee…  this is getting so exciting!!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 8, 2015 9:25 am  #1876

Lilythiell wrote:

@ukaunz, welcome dear -though mine's terrible^^ I feel like I should change the lines and have them be accurate, but...it also feels like stealing. And that being a bit not good...

It's not stealing, sweetie, so if you want to change yours, go ahead!  I too struggled with a couple of lines.  Lord, I hope they speak more clearly in the rest of the episode.

I am wondering about the man who looks like Mycroft but isn't him.  Could this be ... the other one??

October 8, 2015 1:36 pm  #1877

After reading a lot of posts about the special in the last week I'm a bit confused. When do we expect the date announcement? On 24.October?

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 8, 2015 1:41 pm  #1878

There has not been an announcement for the date announcement so far. But since on that day there will be a panel at London Comic Con we might get more information. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 8, 2015 1:47 pm  #1879

Okay that's my information, too. But there was such an excitement and a lot of posts I got confused.

The last time we had a hearse to announce the date, I hope it will be equally classy.

Last edited by Ivy (October 8, 2015 2:14 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 8, 2015 1:52 pm  #1880

I am sure they will find something nice. And you know this fandom - give them 1.30 minutes and they will interpret and photoshop the hell out of it! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera