BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2015 9:00 pm  #1

Guilty Pleasures...

I will put this here instead of under Music or Movies as this goes for all media.

What is your guilty pleasure? Songs/books/comics/cartoons/anime/tv-shows/movies that you know is more or less crap, but that you love anyway?

I have tons. I will start with the movie Mamma Mia. It's basically a bunch of celebs doing (bad) karaoke on a stereotypical Hollywood version of a Greek Island with no story whatsover. And I love it to bits! I think it's my favorite feel-good movie of all time! (And it got Meryl Streep!)

So what's yours? 

Last edited by Vhanja (October 1, 2015 9:33 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 1, 2015 10:30 pm  #2

Re: Guilty Pleasures...

lol Mamma Mia...I've only ever seen the film version, but apparently the stage version was also quite successful.  The songs are very infectious, even though it's not the best film by any stretch (Pierce Brosnan trying to sing? What?), but the songs can get stuck in your head so easily (especially Dancing Queen and the titular Mamma Mia, in my opinion).  I found it funny in the movie all the people that appear out of nowhere (more than I felt with any other musical film I'd ever seen)
I can understand why it would be a movie that would cheer you up, though, all those famous people having fun and the catchy songs.

Hmm...even though I'm through with the brief quasi-obsession I had with it two years ago, The Rocky Horror Picture Show I guess is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine.  I know it's not a great film, nor do I claim it to be, but the songs are so catchy and the humor is silly, but somehow it works.  It's not a film or a musical that I love, but I do enjoy the songs quite a bit.  And it does have nods to other films and things, which are kind of fun.  And even though it's silly, there are songs that are not so silly, like Science Fiction Double Feature. And then there are the fun ones like Time Warp and Bless My Soul.
There might be some other guilty pleasure that I can't recall right now, but I'd say this is definitely one of mine.

Clueing for looks.

October 2, 2015 4:11 am  #3

But the Rocky Horror Picture Show is not a guilty pleasure. It's a classic!

My guilty pleasure are shows in which restaurants are saved by more or less famous cooks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 2, 2015 9:16 am  #4

When I'm upset I watch Titanic *hides*

Apart from that, I hate  sitcoms. When nobody sees me, I watch How I met your mother without taking a break for hours 

"It is what it is."

October 2, 2015 12:19 pm  #5

To a child, I would say that my guilty pleasure is watching animated films (The Lion King, Frozen, Toy Story, Anastasia...the list goes on).
I say "to a child" because a child/teenager would find it shameful for an adult to watch "children's films".

Now, to someone who's a little more mature than that, I'd say that my guilty pleasure is ... well, I'm still wondering, to be honest.
Watching BBC Sherlock or any other rom com (oh, did I just say that?! Yes, yes I did) whilst huddled in a blanket with a steaming cup of tea when things are not especially bright would qualify as such. Because obviously I would do that for hours.

Last edited by Lilythiell (October 3, 2015 7:52 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

October 14, 2015 1:07 pm  #6

I'm paying for mine...
I put 5lbs on this holiday!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2015 1:47 pm  #7

I'm guessing it's a food, then? Oh well, a person's value isn't measured in weight anyway.

Clueing for looks.

October 14, 2015 1:57 pm  #8

Food is probably my most destructive one...but I have a few!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 23, 2018 4:49 pm  #9

Since the Mamma Mia sequel has come out, I was wondering if you had seen it yet Vhanja? 
While I'm not a big fan, I still think the songs are catchy and I enjoyed the the newspaper last Friday gave all the film reviews titles that were lyrics by ABBA/Mamma Mia.

Clueing for looks.

July 23, 2018 7:34 pm  #10

No, I have to admit I'm a bit sceptical to the sequel. The formula worked (for me) the first time, partly because it was new and refreshing, partly because it was ABBA and partly because it was a lot of well-known movie starts singing karaoke and just having a blast.

As I understand it, the well-known starts have a smaller role this time around and it's not new anymore. So 1 out of 3... I will watch it, but I am sceptical and not at all hyped about it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 23, 2018 9:37 pm  #11

Yeah. It has some of the same songs but also some less famous ABBA songs. I guess if you don't like Cher or Lily James that much then it wouldn't be as fun as when the other famous guys are more of the focus.
I was just wondering about your thoughts.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera