BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2015 10:03 pm  #1

Lunar Eclipse - September 27, 2015

For those of you who are not in North America or perhaps did not have clear skies, I thought I'd share some photos (in a primitive collage) that I took of the super moon total lunar eclipse last night.  While it got the brightest photos, many of these were taken in the high-sensitivity setting of my camera which also unfortunately lowered the quality of a number of the images, but it still gets the colour. (I had tried a bunch of modes until that point and only two of them captured anything at all).  The later ones where the eclipse is coming to an end have that weird multiplying effect because by that point I was back in my room and almost ready for bed (it was near midnight), but I still took a few photos.

Clueing for looks.

September 28, 2015 10:46 pm  #2

Re: Lunar Eclipse - September 27, 2015

Very nice!

I have a super telescope, but unfortunately did not have the energy to set it up and see this up close.

I did spend a little time gazing upward with the naked eye, though.  I was amazed at how the moon appeared in the sky.  Usually, it just looks like a circle.  But with the shading during the eclipse, its spherical shape was really enhanced.  It was a pretty spectacular experience.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

September 28, 2015 11:23 pm  #3

Yes, I agree.  Several years ago when I first saw an eclipse, my mum and I reflected on the same thing! It does look much more three-dimensional during an eclipse than it does the rest of the time.

Clueing for looks.

September 29, 2015 6:59 am  #4

I actually got up to see it, but I think I missed the eclipse itself... but did see the red moon before I fell back asleep. I'm really annoyed that I missed it as I'm sort of interested in astronomy. Denmark had a really clear view of the whole thing actually

Thsnk you for the pictures! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 29, 2015 7:17 am  #5

I heard about it yesterday and found this gif, how beautiful.

https://twitter.com/ChosenGrier/status/648404124795555840

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 29, 2015 7:20 am  #6

That is a gorgeous gif! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 29, 2015 8:10 am  #7

Absolutely enchanting theatre of nature.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 29, 2015 1:03 pm  #8

That is a nice gif.

I had no idea it was visible in Denmark or anywhere in Europe.  That's nice you got to see it in person, though, Phantom.

Clueing for looks.

September 29, 2015 2:12 pm  #9

I saw it from my kitchen window, and took a few pictures. It was really beautiful...

"It is what it is."

September 29, 2015 4:06 pm  #10

I would agree.  And even though I took a bunch of photos I don't think they do it justice, really.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera