BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2014 1:35 am  #1

What happened to Moriarty’s corpse?

That is thing one that wasn’t addressed in TEH. Did the Police find it? Was his body taken to the morgue? Was it cremated? Is it buried somewhere? Did Mycroft or any others that participated in staging the fall know where it went?
 However, if Moriarty is in fact returning then there probably is no corpse. 

June 11, 2014 10:30 am  #2

Re: What happened to Moriarty’s corpse?

It is a delicate problem, because Mycroft would obviously have checked the rooftop. If there had been no body, he wouldn't have believed Moriarty was dead. M.could, hipothetically, have fooled Sherlock, but not Mycroft - I don't really believe he would be able to pretend he was dead under a close examination. And it is possible Sherlock took a look as well, once he safely inside the hospital.

June 11, 2014 10:45 am  #3

I don´t think Moriarty´s corpse was ever found - we would have known if such a thing has happened.

In my opinion, Moriarty was probably not alone in St. Barts Hospital. He could have some accomplices nearby who seized his body after he killed himself and got rid of it. There were more people working in the St. Bart´s pathology than Molly Hooper - and just as Molly helped Sherlock, some other employee could be Moriarty´s man. Considering that Moriarty himself worked at St. Bart´s as an IT expert before makes that theory likely - he certainly had some contacts in the hospital who enabled him to infiltrate.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 11, 2014 4:22 pm  #4

Yes I think Mycroft/Sherlock /Gov....conspired  to hush up Moriarttys death.
In Andersons, the fan girls and Sherlocks theory , no body was found / public knowledge.

Perhaps they stole Moriartys own idea...and replaced him with a lookalikey actor..thus  Mycroft infiltrates and breaks Moriartys empire from the top.
Hence Sherlock had to jump to make it appear Moriarty won..and was still alive . Explains the  " I got you ... I am you" comments.
The replacement being the ugly duckling...and rescuing Sherlock.

The secret Gov. always runs both sides ....teorrists and agents to their own agenda...kinda the usual conspiracy theory.

Last edited by lil (June 11, 2014 4:23 pm)

August 5, 2014 10:22 pm  #5

The problem is, Anderson would never have come up with his theory that we see at the begining of TEH, if they found a corpse. If that was actually what happened, then the body would have been moved and disposed of.
That's means no body was found on the roof...

Are you ever not going to fall for that?

August 5, 2014 10:25 pm  #6

But Gatiss and Moffat are evil. In S4, moriarty might be alive because of a mask, or a bungy jump or something in Andersons theories that we all scoffed at. It's probably going to be something that we have already seen. And we're going to kill ourselves when we find out

Are you ever not going to fall for that?

August 6, 2014 5:56 am  #7

I've also read the theory that, like in the original Sherlock Holmes stories, Moriarty has a twin. In case the body would have been examinded, what is quite probable, it could have been the body of his twin. Same appearence, same DNA and no-one would doupt it's Jim Moriarty.
Or just something like that... 

August 7, 2014 12:03 pm  #8

SebbyM wrote:

I've also read the theory that, like in the original Sherlock Holmes stories, Moriarty has a twin.

Erm, sorry - where does it say in the original stories that he had a twin???

What I find strange when Moriarty dies is what the gunshot does, or rather does not do, to his head. It depends on the gun and the type of ammunition, but putting a bullet through the roof of someone's mouth will rarely result in such a clean, barely marked corpse as the one we see lying there. By rights, Moriarty's face and/or the back of his head should have been blown apart with his brains all over the place.

So, was the apparently very neat and clean state of the corpse really just due to budget restrictions on the special effects, or is there more behind it?

I also wonder why Sherlock never bent down and checked that he was really dead. He says in TEH (explaining or mock-explaning the fall to Anderson) that "speed was paramount", but it would not have taken more than a moment to make sure. Or even shoot him again himself, just to make certain.

That all said, I really, really hope that Moriarty is and stays dead. He was OK and well acted and served his narrative purpose as long as he was around, but I've about had enough of him. Please give me some more interesting bad guys from now on (like Magnussen was!) instead of two-dimensional psychopaths who are just evil for the sake of being evil, which I find very boring.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 7, 2014 12:05 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 23, 2015 3:53 pm  #9

At least Anderson knew there was a body, because it is a part of his theory at the beginning of TEH. IF Mycroft had to cover the whole incident and let the body disappear - and I think it's what should have happened, because otherwise there would be no "suicide of a fake detective". But how would Anderson know in that case?

September 24, 2015 3:17 am  #10

That's the thing - Anderson didn't necessarily know there was a body, because he didn't refute that point with the Irish girl's attempt at her own explanation where Moriarty was alive.

And if fans of Sherlock couldn't even agree on whether Moriarty were actually dead or alive, then we would have...

...this forum 

September 24, 2015 10:30 am  #11

I don't kow... wasn't "are you out of your mind?!?" refute enough?

September 24, 2015 11:33 am  #12

I can't help myself.
I have to be a total nerd here and point out that the girl was Scottish.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 24, 2015 12:58 pm  #13

tonnaree wrote:

I can't help myself.

she was indeed

September 24, 2015 4:54 pm  #14

JP wrote:

I don't kow... wasn't "are you out of your mind?!?" refute enough?

I took that as Anderson being shocked about the idea of Sherlock and Moriarty having an ... intimate moment.  Not about the idea of Moriarty being alive.  I could be wrong though.

tonnaree wrote:

I can't help myself.

I totally knew that.  How embarrassing.  The Scottish accent happens to be one of my favorites, too.

My only excuse is that a few pints of beer scrambled my wits when I was typing that.

Board footera