BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2015 3:55 pm  #81

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

Well, it will change once you actually see the special, right? You're just impatient, but actually getting a new episode, or more news, will help won't it?

Clueing for looks.

September 22, 2015 4:05 pm  #82

I don't think so, because like I said - I didn't want Victorian Sherlock with Martin Freeman wearing a hideous moustache and Benedict looking like Benedict and not Sherlock. I wanted the show I was watching - Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century. There haven't been enough episodes (and I definitely can say this) for us to have gotten bored of that setting yet or to want a 'change' (even temporary).

So why Victorian? It feels like a vanity project (well,it is), something that nobody asked for but that Mofftiss just wanted to do, and who cares. This is why I'm disappointed. If I chose to watch Sherlock, theer is a reason. If I choose to watch Downtown Abbey it's because I want to see period england, not 21st century england. I want the characters I love, and I want the storyline they have built and which they have left hanging, with a bloody 3-year gap before the continuation.

Yes, of course I am curious to see what happens in the Special, mostly because I want to see why the heck they thought it was a good idea. But ultimately? It will feel like I'm watching a different production that happens to have Cumberbatch and Freeman in it.
Meanwhile, I have to wait yet another year and a half (if I'm lucky) before I see the show I actually wanted to see.

September 22, 2015 4:23 pm  #83

I will tell you right now that the moustache isn't for the whole episodes (I've seen set photos that suggest that).

Fair enough, I can understand if you are disappointed, but I think the personalities of the characters will still be the same if that helps any.

If anything, the only thing I can say is that Sherlock is known for many things, including its long hiatuses, so the waiting is something to be expected if you ask me.

Sorry you're not happy and I'm sorry if I made it worse.

Clueing for looks.

September 22, 2015 4:25 pm  #84

Funnily enough, I did want Victorian Sherlock!  It was something that had been on my mind even before the Special was announced, thinking that I'd love to see them do a period piece as a one-off, but wouldn't want it to interfere with the series.  And that's what they're giving me, so I'm quite pleased!  If they only were able to do one episode for this year, then I think this is a great way to do it, to remove it from the current storyline and make it separate (which is what I presume is happening, rather than having time travel or whatever). 

Doctor Who crossover - no.   The trouble is that Moffat has said he would like to do, but isn't allowed to.   I hope he never is allowed to.  I think it would be fun, yes, but they are two really different "universes" and shows (not to mention different audiences.  One is a children/family show whereas the other is a post-watershed show, even though there are many shared viewers).   I could see it work as a Doctor Who episode (Doctor Who allows for such things as the Doctor meeting fictional characters, for instance) but not as a Sherlock episode. 

September 22, 2015 4:29 pm  #85

yes, Sherlock is known for the long hiatuses but this one is the longest yet. And we weren't even told outright - we were promised S4, then this suddenly got pushed back 1 year like that. *And* they keep messing with us and giving us contrasting information - that infuriates me because I feel like a fool. It might be stupid but I am indeed invested in this series, perhaps to my detriment but I am. And them taking the piss and saying something only to deny it 2 days later it's really pissing me off.

Yes, I've seen pics of John without moustache, just like I've seen pics of current day Mary and John. But that doesn't mean these scenes are included in the Special - and if they are, I worry they'll turn the whole thing into an even bigger pantomime that it sounds at the moment - flashbacks? The present day characters seeing themselves in the past? John dreaming of himself and Sherlock in 1800s and waking up with a start and going 'ah thank god we don't have the plague nowadays!' ? Please. It sounds ridiculous.

Sorry to sound grim, please ignore me if I'm annoying.

September 22, 2015 4:39 pm  #86

No, you're not annoying at all!  Just getting me worried, because I wondered at the beginning if there was going to be some sort of flashback or dream sequence, but I haven't followed the whole setlock thing (didn't want too many spoilers) and didn't realise there was present day stuff too.  It would work best for me if this was something out on its own, a period piece, set in a universe where Sherlock only exists in the past, not in the present day.    I'm not entirely against a flashback, but I'm not sure if one episode is enough to do both moderm and past stories, while resolving the S3 cliffhangers, and sorting out the Mary and the baby thing. 

September 22, 2015 5:11 pm  #87

I'm not sure if I can say here as there may be people who don't want to read spoilers and I'm on mobile so I can't put it under the spoiler button but yes they did definitely film modern stuff. With the same costumes Amanda and Martin had at the end of HLV.

Now I don't know if this material will be used for the Special - according to what Moffat has decided to say in that latest interview it seems like it wouldn't be included, but you know - he likes to laugh at us. (And I'm honestly rather tired of it).

I'm afraid they'll do a 'comedy' episode, with the Victorian bit played for laugh, with continuous jumps between past and present - victorian scene followed by close up of John's face gawping comically because Sherlock is telling him that he was a super hero in the 1800s.

At this point I hope there is no connection whatsoever withHLV as I in no way want them to try and pass that situation on as funny or trivial.

September 22, 2015 5:36 pm  #88

Personally, I think we fans should be careful not to feel entitled too much. It is still their show, and they are free to do with it what they want, and film it whenever they can. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 22, 2015 8:08 pm  #89

Which is why you don't see me saying that they shouldn't do it. I'm saying thats not what I wanted to see, and I am completely free to think that and also to say that we are unhappy about what we are given.

Just because it's their show and we are not entitled to what they want to do with it doesn't mean we have to like and look forward to whatever they do.

There is a difference.

September 22, 2015 8:26 pm  #90

Dorothy83 wrote:

yes, Sherlock is known for the long hiatuses but this one is the longest yet. And we weren't even told outright - we were promised S4, then this suddenly got pushed back 1 year like that. *And* they keep messing with us and giving us contrasting information - that infuriates me because I feel like a fool. It might be stupid but I am indeed invested in this series, perhaps to my detriment but I am. And them taking the piss and saying something only to deny it 2 days later it's really pissing me off.

Yes, their constant lies get to me too. I generally ignore Moftiss interviews because of that. I´m wondering why they think a honest approach to their fans is out of the question.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 22, 2015 8:39 pm  #91

I guess I can understand a certain level of fibbing - we surely don't want them to tell us what happens. But Moffat seems like he's started loving lying and misdirecting us too much, and it's honestly getting tiring and annoying.
Amanda and Louise said there is a reason why it's set Victorian times and that they only want to make us think it's set in the past (or something to that effect); now Moffat is saying that it's completely separate from everything else because basically they just decided to do Victorian. I'm frankly fed up.

Sorry I'm being such a downer. I've had these feelings for a long time now, since when they released that wretched botched picture with the missing shoulder, so this is nothing new nor it will change - but every time I hear Moffat say something else about that I get sad again.

September 22, 2015 8:57 pm  #92

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 22, 2015 9:57 pm  #93

*passes Dorothy a blankie and a cuppa tea*

Biscuits dear?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 23, 2015 1:20 am  #94

I'm very interested and excited about the Special and think it has the potential to be extremely creative.  I love everything this show has given me for the past 3 series and I have no reason to think the Special will do otherwise.

It's fun speculating on how they are going to pull it off - in much the same way I wondered how they were going to pull off a 21st Century"Sherlock Homes" when the show first aired.  Well, the creativity, cleverness, and quality blew me away and I bet the Special will too.

My personal pet theory to explain the time shift is that someone (a producer perhaps) either bought (or stole) a story from John's blog and has made a mystery thriller with the characters set in Victorian times. We get to view the thriller - which in some clever way mirrors something going on with the 'real' characters in the 21st Century.

Twisting the stories and characters back on themselves would be a neat trick if done well.  Well, only a few more months (hopefully) until we know.  In Mofftiss we trust.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 23, 2015 2:01 am  #95

That's a cool theory that I had not thought of!

Clueing for looks.

September 23, 2015 7:06 am  #96

I don't have a problem with waiting either. And I am a big fan of the proverb "The journey is the reward"!
But if they give us Sherlock it should be 21st century Sherlock , that's why I love the BBC Sherlock. I don't need a Victorian Era one. I could watch the one with Jeremy Brett then. Maybe I see things different after I have seen the special, I'm sure it's very well written and played, but at the moment "I can barely contain myself!" to quote Mycroft in TEH

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 23, 2015 10:21 am  #97

In the latest interview Steven Moffat says (I know, I know..) they just wanted to put them in period clothes but didn't quite want to put it in S3, so they decided to do a one-off that completely stands alone (thank the gods, that would probably have been the final straw for me). Also they wanted it because Jeremy Brett has done a classic and a modern version as well, so now their Sherlock has done it, too. I know better than to unreservedly trust his words, but it surely sounds like their usual resoning (we wanted a helicopter, and we wanted to use Leinster Gardens, and Janine was great so we wanted her again etc..)

September 23, 2015 10:32 am  #98

but then why did Amanda and Louise say something different?

September 24, 2015 9:08 am  #99

I just want something ... anything!! CAN'T WAIT!!

September 24, 2015 10:27 am  #100

I saw this in a Telegraph article on Twitter today. Amanda Abbington talking about Sherlock:

I’ve just finished doing Cuffs, a BBC police drama set in Brighton, and am filming my last series of Mr Selfridge at the moment. Then in February we start shooting the fourth lot of Sherlock. I’m sworn to secrecy, but the story arc is brilliant.

Nothing new or exciting, but another mention of when they will start filming...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera