BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2015 11:28 pm  #1

Does Sherlock Eat

I've read somewhere that Sherlock only eats once a week. If so, wouldn't he die? Can someone please explain this to me. Maybe what I read was false.

x SherlockianPrincess 

September 19, 2015 11:47 pm  #2

Re: Does Sherlock Eat

Where have you read this?

I am no expert, but I've heard that Sherlock tends not to eat while actively working on a case (which I believe is canon).

But he is a human, and does need to eat regularly to survive.  And there are clearly instances of him eating on the show.

September 19, 2015 11:59 pm  #3

Building off what Magingus said, I think Sherlock probably eats more when he's not on a case.  He mentions that digestion slows him down on a case, but other than that I'm sure he eats more regularly.  
Also like Magingus said, there are instances where he is eating in the show.  He's eating chips before Mary tells him about the skip code.  One of the shots of him trying to guess John's middle name is at the breakfast table.  There's probably some other examples but those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.
Sherlock does do a lot of running around after all.  If he never at anything he wouldn't be able to maintain that, and the brain does need food to function.

Clueing for looks.

September 20, 2015 12:31 am  #4

He likes extra portions on those fish and chips, too!

September 20, 2015 12:33 am  #5

Okay, I suppose that makes sense. What I read suggested that he only ate on Wendays and when I did a google search to look more into that I found a few other sources that pointed in that same direction. Like you said, something about digestion slowing him down. But thank you, the sources I read it from clearly had a missinturpitation of something or other.

x SherlockianPrincess 

September 20, 2015 1:16 am  #6

Maybe it comes from here:

SHERLOCK: You may as well eat. We might be waiting a long time.
JOHN: Hmm. Are you going to?
SHERLOCK: What day is it?
JOHN: It’s Wednesday.
SHERLOCK: I’m okay for a bit.
JOHN: You haven’t eaten today? For God’s sake, you need to eat.
SHERLOCK: No, you need to eat. I need to think. The brain’s what counts. Everything else is transport.

It's from the Pilot, transcript by Ariane (of course ).

Last edited by JP (September 20, 2015 1:17 am)

September 20, 2015 3:57 am  #7

Don't forget he's eaten most of a dish of pasta in that scene in the cafe after he was shot in HLV (when Magnussen eats the olive off his plate).

In the ACD stories Holmes eats quite frequently, despite saying he never eats when he's on a case because digestion slows his brain down.

Last edited by ukaunz (September 20, 2015 3:58 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 20, 2015 9:03 am  #8

We see Sherlock actively eating three times in the series:

- He's munching on what looks like toast in ASiP when he asks John about his blogging
- He steals and eats a minced pie from Mrs Hudson after the CIA-guys incident 
- He eats fish and chips in TEH when Mary runs to him with the "skip code"

It's then implied that he has eaten most of a pasta dish in HLV while waiting for Magnussen (which goes against him not eating while on cases). In TSoT we see a three-course meal being eaten, I am not sure if it's implied to be by Sherlock or just a way to speed up the time to the speech. There is a also what looks like a deleted scene with Sherlock munching on Christmas cookies while at their parents.

But, yeah, we do see that he brings John to cafes and restaurants to eat while on a case, but he never eats anything himself. Which he states he doesn't do during cases. Ben also lost weight for the first season to show a man who doesn't really take too much care of himself (his "transport"). And then gained it back again for S2 now that he lives with a doctor. (So it's not completely out of nowhere the "John coaxing Sherlock to eat"-trope in fics).

Last edited by Vhanja (September 20, 2015 9:04 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 25, 2015 11:21 pm  #9

A part of me imagines that when Sherlock is without a case, and he has those bouts of boredom and lethargy, he actually eats quite a bit. People tend to eat when they're bored, even if they're not hungry. 

September 26, 2015 1:20 am  #10

tea&ash wrote:

People tend to eat when they're bored, even if they're not hungry.

Let us not forget the oral stimulation of eating when one is trying to quit smoking.

September 26, 2015 11:42 am  #11

He does eat, becaude obviously, we've seen him eat. He pretty much demolished that pasta in the scene with Magnussen, and they're pretty big portions (I know because I've had one from the same place!).

He just doesn't eat very much when he's working, but this whole "Sherlock doesn't eat" thing is more of a fanon than a canon. People have kind of ran with it in fan fics and stuff, but it's not actually true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 26, 2015 1:57 pm  #12

Yeah, that's true that it's emphasized in fanfiction a lot.  People like to write scenarios where John gets him to eat, I think, in order to emphasize John's nurturing side.

Clueing for looks.

October 4, 2015 5:38 am  #13

Canon Holmes eats quite frequently in the ACD stories. I had to laugh when I read this in The Valley of Fear:

He [Holmes] had spent the whole afternoon at the Manor House in consultation with his two colleagues, and returned about five with a ravenous appetite for a high tea which I had ordered for him. "No confidences, Watson; for they are mighty awkward if it comes to an arrest for conspiracy and murder."
"You think it will come to that?"
He was in his most cheerful and debonair humour. "My dear Watson, when I have exterminated that fourth egg I shall be ready to put you in touch with the whole situation. I don't say that we have fathomed it—far from it—but when we have traced the missing dumb-bell—"

He's right in the middle of a case, too... Although a few paragraphs later:

He sat with his mouth full of toast and his eyes sparkling with mischief, watching my intellectual entanglement.  The mere sight of his excellent appetite was an assurance of success; for I had very clear recollections of days and nights without a thought of food, when his baffled mind had chafed before some problem while his thin, eager features became more attenuated with the asceticism of complete mental concentration.

Last edited by ukaunz (October 4, 2015 5:49 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera