BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2013 12:16 pm  #1

In which other roles would you like to see him?

Hey all,

five years ago, I came across which is now one of my favourite books, namely "Temeraire" by Naomi Novik  (if you want to read about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_%28series%29 ).
It is very well-written and thoroughly researched and could go through as a historical novel if it didn't have the twist with the dragons providing a kind of airforce during the Napoleonic Wars.

I have been listening to the audiobook today and pondered the characters, because Peter Jackson, director of "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" has bought the rights to the Temeraire series since and apparently is considering making a mini-series out of it. Naturally, I would want Benedict to play the main character Will Laurence, I think he'd fit beautifully.
I don't think that's actually going to happen though, since a) he probably wouldn't want to do something with dragons again, and b) the setting and costumes would be similar to "To the Ends of the Earth". All apart from his already busy schedule.

Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to hear whether there are other roles you'd like to see him in, and why.

Cheers,
Kerkerian

PS: Happy first day of shooting season 3!

Last edited by Kerkerian (March 18, 2013 12:18 pm)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

March 18, 2013 3:13 pm  #2

Re: In which other roles would you like to see him?

Uh, that's a nice question. I think I would accept him in any role. To see him on screen is all that matters to me 
Now Susi, I've got a better idea how to imagine Leo Wechsler. 

Last edited by Mary Me (March 18, 2013 3:38 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 18, 2013 3:24 pm  #3

SusiGo wrote:

Well, that's a good question. And I do have an idea although it seems preposterous. I'd love him to play my very own police inspector Leo Wechsler (a dark-haired widowed father of two children living in 1920s Berlin). Just have a look at my signature. 

I'm totally with you. Up to now Leo looked differently in my mind, I'll try tomantally  replace that image when I'll continue reading tonight!

Besides that, I'm such a Star Trek fan. Had you asked me one year ago, I would have said: "Please let Bendict play someone on Star Trek." Happy me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 18, 2013 4:18 pm  #4

Give it a try. It works. It does for me and makes writing quite enjoyable. Although of course I didn't have Benedict in mind when starting the series. 

I always liked Star Trek but I'm no passionate Trekkie. We've got all the films on DVD and watch them time and again. But this is the first time I'm really, really excited. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 28, 2013 6:02 pm  #5

Benedict has done such wonderful work with complex characters I'd like to see him tackle the role of J. Robert Oppenheimer. Read this brief article about the man and you will see why I think that this man's life and political bearings along with his underlying morality would give Benedict a role to sink his teeth into:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/peopleevents/pandeAMEX65.html

Of course that means someone brilliant would have to write the role. Hmmm, any ideas?

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

January 12, 2014 10:57 pm  #6

If you've been following a recent real-life classisfied information scandal:

...can you see Benedict as Edward Snowden? Or am I just making an association because of the Assange movie?

Or possibly, as a young Ralph Nader?

January 14, 2014 5:03 pm  #7

I think I'd like to see him in something  comedic. He has fanastic timing, and I loved the drunken stag night. Maybe something like Raoul Duke in Fear and Lothing in Las Vagas.

January 31, 2014 12:54 am  #8

YES THE TEMERAIRE SERIES! I AM FREAKING OUT! sorry bout the caps but I am ...omg wow this is great news. Only one of the best dragon series of ALL time.

do NOT worry about repeating characters just because they are dragons. Comparing SMAUG to TEMERAIRRE is like comparing SHERLOCK to LITTLE CHARLES in AOC.  TWO entirely different beasts...yeah sorry about the pun.

Temeraire is educated and sophisticated...this is a dragon that has his meals cooked for him with sages and spices.  He will write and talk about philosophy.  This is a perfect role requiring an actor that can portray feelings in his voice as well as an acute intelligence while also gettting your badassery on! Temeraire is sleek, fast, and powerful but there is this intelligence that will challenge the status quo and make unpopular but ethical decisions. These books may be based on the Napoleanic war but they resonate on issues of today as good science fiction should.

Benedict would be perfect for this role! I hope they do a trilogy and I hope they definitely edit the script differently when they get to Lawrence and the treason.  Splitting up temeraire and lawrence was the lowlight of the series.

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (January 31, 2014 1:00 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

January 31, 2014 12:56 am  #9

On a different train of thought...I would love to see Benedict do a darker remake of the Labyrinth.  or some science fiction work like Star Wars or maybe a gothic comic book.

January 31, 2014 1:14 am  #10

" or maybe a gothic comic book."

Ever since I discovered Benedict he's been my ideal Dream for The Sandman series.  
Looks like that's not going to happen though now with Joseph Gordon Levett in charge of the project.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 31, 2014 1:23 am  #11

^ hmmm do you have pictures?

February 11, 2014 6:23 pm  #12

I wonder about a action thriller type thing.  A British Jack Bauer perhaps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

May 27, 2015 12:27 am  #13

Since Canongate is the UK publisher of Guantánamo Diary I noted on their website that Nick Cave is also in their stable of writers and it got me thinking that Cave's The Death of Bunny Monro would be an interesting "book to film" project to make... for perhaps a talented Mr. Cumberbatch??  I think it is something very different for him and he definitely has the chops to pull it off.

Here's a blurb on the book

http://www.canongate.tv/the-death-of-bunny-munro-hardback.html

Some more about the book from Wikipedia -
Irvine Welsh, Neil Labute and David Peace have all touted the novel - providing back-cover reviews. Moreover, "The Death of Bunny Munro" has received strong reviews from the British media: Graeme Thomson (writing in The Observer, 6 September 2009) awarded the novel four stars. Likewise, the Saturday Times (on the 5th of September 2009) stated, in a very positive review, that the novel "reads like a good indie movie".

The title character seems unlike anyone that Cumberbatch has done before (this I really like).  Bunny Munro isn't a "feel good" protagonist (indeed in the story his wife was driven to suicide because of his incapacity for tenderness, empathy or love) but as one reviewer said it hard not to like him just as much as you loath him.  Bunny is also a hugely, visceral sexual obsessive.  He will virtually screw anything - like a "bunny" rabbit I suppose.  He thinks with his cock almost 24/7.
This aspect would certainly get Ben away from the cerebral characters he is known for.

But underneath all this sex and self-gratification there is also a story of a relationship between a morally bankrupt, lost soul and his nine year old son, who hero-worships his lothario of a travelling salesman father.  It is a tragedy but it leaves us with hope at least.

The book has been compared to American Psycho (and equal parts Death of a Salesman) but it has more humour to it (albeit of the most darkest kind).

It also has been described by Publisher Jamie Byng as ""a modern Faustus of sorts" that will "shock and amaze a lot of people."

Has anyone on the board read the book? And what do you think of it becoming a movie starring BC? 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

September 18, 2015 3:55 pm  #14

I think he would make an even better Mr Darcy than Laurence Olivier and Colin Firth.

He wouldn't make himself very popular if he accepted it and they'll never film the novel anyway for it's much too confronting but he'd be a great Max Aue, truly frightening.

A good comic role for he has such great comic timing. Sadly, none comes to mind.

September 18, 2015 4:10 pm  #15

I would LOVE to see him as Elwood P. Dowd! You know, "Harvey".

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2015 4:13 pm  #16

I've seen the play Harvey before. Never thought of Benedict as Elwoodd though.  Could be good.

Personally I think it would be fun to see him in a musical.  We know he can dance, and his singing is decent enough.

Clueing for looks.

September 18, 2015 4:30 pm  #17

I will probably get chased away with planks for this, but after what I heard from him I would rather not have him in a musical... 
On the other hand, even Ewan McGregor was allowed to sing...*shudder*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2015 6:38 pm  #18

Ah-chie wrote:

Since Canongate is the UK publisher of Guantánamo Diary I noted on their website that Nick Cave is also in their stable of writers and it got me thinking that Cave's The Death of Bunny Monro would be an interesting "book to film" project to make... for perhaps a talented Mr. Cumberbatch??  I think it is something very different for him and he definitely has the chops to pull it off.

Here's a blurb on the book

http://www.canongate.tv/the-death-of-bunny-munro-hardback.html

Some more about the book from Wikipedia -
Irvine Welsh, Neil Labute and David Peace have all touted the novel - providing back-cover reviews. Moreover, "The Death of Bunny Munro" has received strong reviews from the British media: Graeme Thomson (writing in The Observer, 6 September 2009) awarded the novel four stars. Likewise, the Saturday Times (on the 5th of September 2009) stated, in a very positive review, that the novel "reads like a good indie movie".

The title character seems unlike anyone that Cumberbatch has done before (this I really like).  Bunny Munro isn't a "feel good" protagonist (indeed in the story his wife was driven to suicide because of his incapacity for tenderness, empathy or love) but as one reviewer said it hard not to like him just as much as you loath him.  Bunny is also a hugely, visceral sexual obsessive.  He will virtually screw anything - like a "bunny" rabbit I suppose.  He thinks with his cock almost 24/7.
This aspect would certainly get Ben away from the cerebral characters he is known for.

But underneath all this sex and self-gratification there is also a story of a relationship between a morally bankrupt, lost soul and his nine year old son, who hero-worships his lothario of a travelling salesman father.  It is a tragedy but it leaves us with hope at least.

The book has been compared to American Psycho (and equal parts Death of a Salesman) but it has more humour to it (albeit of the most darkest kind).

It also has been described by Publisher Jamie Byng as ""a modern Faustus of sorts" that will "shock and amaze a lot of people."

Has anyone on the board read the book? And what do you think of it becoming a movie starring BC? 

-Val

I would like to second this motion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 21, 2016 10:12 pm  #19

I have been reading Emma by Jane Austen and I think Benedict could have been a good Mr. Frank Churchill in an adaptation of that.  Unfortunately that character is only 23 years old, so I think we'd have to settle for him playing Mr. Knightley at this point, which still wouldn't be so bad.  I guess I think it would be nice to see him as a character in Emma.

Clueing for looks.

January 22, 2016 6:33 am  #20

He could kill any of the roles.
But I would prefer him as Mr Knightley.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera