BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2015 12:46 pm  #21

Re: Ariane DeVere checking in

Thank you all for such a lovely welcome!  Even after all these years it still amazes me how many people find the transcripts useful.  To think that I didn't originally do Season 1 because I thought nobody would be interested!  It was only after Verity Burns persuaded me to do Season 2 that I found out how many people found them essential, and it wasn't - as I'd thought - just the fanfic writers, but meta writers and, much more importantly, people whose first language isn't English, or who have hearing difficulties and don't like using closed captions/subtitles.  I even heard from someone who has the transcripts translated into Braille.  After the huge response, I really had no choice but to go back and do Season 1!  And I'll keep doing them for as long as the show keeps my interest, so it's totally up to Mofftiss as to whether I do the Spesh or Season 4 ...

It's always a huge relief to hear people saying that they like my asides.  Many of them are based on what's being said on Tumblr at the time but humour is such a subjective thing and I do have to stop and think very carefully whenever I'm considering chucking in an aside.  "Is this really appropriate?" / "Is it even funny?" etc.  Thankfully, so far at least, I've managed to keep the correct side of the line between being amusing and annoying the heck out of everyone.

August 24, 2015 12:59 pm  #22

And I also appreciate that you do not just transcribe the episodes but also the commentaries. What an incredible lot of work. One of your favourite comments is the one from HLV:

[Your transcriber slumps sideways and falls off her chair, exhausted at having just typed the most intense and complicated seven minutes of footage that she has ever attempted. She lies on the floor giggling contentedly to herself for a few minutes, then wearily hauls herself back onto her chair and continues.]

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2015 1:00 pm  #23

What a picture in my head

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 24, 2015 1:28 pm  #24

A very warm welcome from as well, Ariane.
And like all the others already mentioned I also appreciate your work with the transcripts. They are really useful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 30, 2015 7:48 am  #25

A belated welcome to you Ariane (broadband problems this end). Your transcription work is exemplary and without it many would be cast adrift. Round of applause! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 9, 2015 11:43 am  #26

You're very welcome - that's what they're for!

September 11, 2015 1:12 am  #27

Ariane DeVere wrote:

Hello, everyone!  Forgive me for not having known about this board before.  Now that I've finally arrived, I'm looking forward to working my way through the topics and getting to know everyone.

And yes, I'm that Ariane, transcriber of the episodes, fanfic writer and occasional maker of macros.  I live in south-east London, work in central London, am 50mumble years old but recently embraced my inner 12-year old and now have Sherlock fanart on the walls of my living room and hallway and have what I can only describe as a SherClock in my kitchen (it's one of those clocks which has boxes for photographs all around the face.  The photos are not of my family.)  
And let's not even talk about my mobile phone's cover, lock screen and desktop and its text alert and ringtone, or my work computer's desktop photo, the pinboard next to my desk at work ...

Anyway, it's nice to be here and to have new people with whom to whine about the long long wait for the Special and Season 4!

Ari x

Howdy! Love your work! Nice to see another over 50ish Lady here. Welcome!

September 11, 2015 12:29 pm  #28

How very dare you?!  I am forty-fourteen.  It sounds so much younger.  (Yeah, try and convince yourself, Ari!)

And I wouldn't say that I go on about Sherlock a lot at work, but last week this happened:

http://callie-ariane.tumblr.com/post/128328451577/

September 11, 2015 12:55 pm  #29

Aww, how lovely! I can't read the line below, though, I hope it was an invitation for after work 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 11, 2015 2:06 pm  #30

That's nice! lol "I bet you wish he worked here, too." 
Now you've got me wondering what Benedict would be like working in an office.

Clueing for looks.

September 14, 2015 12:20 pm  #31

I wish!  The line actually says:

Don't you just wish he worked here too!

Yes.  Yes, I really do.  *sighs wistfully*

Incidentally, I'm about to post an announcement regarding the downloadability of my transcripts on my Livejournal blog.  Is there a topic anywhere on this forum for 'useful stuff that fans might like to have'?

September 14, 2015 12:41 pm  #32

Well, I'm not totally certain, but I think it might fit under "Sherlock Links." If you're still not sure you can always ask the mods.  Either that or they'll move the topic if it's not in the right place when you post it.

Clueing for looks.

September 14, 2015 12:45 pm  #33

Ok, so here is my wish for you: Next time the sign says

Ariane, let's go out for dinner! xxx Ben

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 14, 2015 1:39 pm  #34

Do you want to give her a heart attack, Harriet?!

Clueing for looks.

September 14, 2015 1:43 pm  #35

No, I want to see her even more happy 

September 15, 2015 10:53 am  #36

*wibbles*

*goes to her happy place*

September 15, 2015 8:00 pm  #37

Ariane DeVere wrote:

How very dare you?!  I am forty-fourteen.  It sounds so much younger.  (Yeah, try and convince yourself, Ari!)

And I wouldn't say that I go on about Sherlock a lot at work, but last week this happened:

http://callie-ariane.tumblr.com/post/128328451577/

Heh! I was a Hardcore Punk Rocker-- back when it was NEW. Yes, we be Seasoned!!

AND CONGRATS on the anniversary!!!!!

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (September 15, 2015 8:00 pm)

September 15, 2015 8:21 pm  #38

Ariane, thank you for your work. It IS essential, also because it is searchable. If I have a line or even a scene and don't remember where it is from, I can always simply google it along your name and it's found in seconds. You spared me months of looking through the films! Not that it would be that bad - watching Sherlock - but I'm an efficiency freak

Last edited by JP (September 15, 2015 9:12 pm)

September 17, 2015 12:42 pm  #39

Good lord, that's terrifying!  I had no idea that that was a way to search for a line!

September 17, 2015 1:09 pm  #40

And why is it terrifying?
You just type: devere sherlock "the state of her knees" <-- the quotation marks are important
and here you are.

Board footera