BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2012 1:06 pm  #1

Sherlock Holmes Quiz (02/08/12)

Hello there...as I mentioned in another topic I recently went to a Sherlockian canon meeting and I promised to post up the quiz for you all to try. It's quite fun with lots of different style rounds. There are a possible 35 points in total. So here we go...

ROUND 1 - A Case Of Identity
From these canoninical descriptions, deduce the identities of the following people:

1. "A man entered who could hardly have been less than six feet six inches in height, with the chest and limbs of a Hercules. His dress was rich with a richness which would, in England, be looked upon as akin to bad taste. Heavy bands of astrakhan were slashed across the sleeves and fronts of his double breasted coat, while the deep blue cloak which was thrown over his shoulders was lined with flame-coloured silk, and secured at the neck with a brooch which consisted of a single flaming beryl. Boots which extended half way up his calves and which were trimmed at the tops with rich brown fur, completed the impression of barbaric opulence."                 
(2 points if you can give full name)

2. "Do you feel a creeping, shrinking sensation, Watson, when you stand before the serpents in the Zoo, and see the slithery, gliding, venemous creatures, with their deadly eyes and wicked, flattened faces? Well, that's how ... impresses me. I've had to do with fifty murderers in my career, but the worst of them never gave me the repulsion which I have for this fellow."
"...a man of fifty, with a large intellectual head, a round plump, hairless face, a perpetual frozen smile, and two keen grey eyes, which gleamed brightly from behind broad, gold rimmed glasses. There was something of Mr Pickwick's benevolence in his appearance, marred only by the insincerity of the fixed smile and by the hard glitter of those restless and penetrating eyes. His voice was as smooth and suave as his countenance."

3. "He was an elderly man, with a thin projecting nose, a high bald forehead, and a huge grizzled moustache. An opera hat was pushed to the back of his head, and an evening dress shirt front gleamed out through his open overcoat. His face was gaunt and swarthy, scoured with deep, savage lines. In his hand he carried what appeared to be a stick, but as he laid it down upon the floor it gave a metallic clang..."
"...with his savage eyes and bristling moustache, he was wonderfully like a tiger himself..."

4. "...extremely tall and thin, his forehead domes out in a white curve, and his two eyes are deeply sunken in his head. He is clean shaven, pale, and ascetic-looking, retaining something of the professor in his features. His shoulders are rounded from much study, and his face protrudes forward and is forever slowly oscillating from side to side in a curiously reptillian fashion."

5. "Our door had been suddenly dashed open, and...a huge man framed himself in the aperture. His costume was a peculiar mixture of the professional and of the agricultural, having a black top hat, a long frock coat, and a pair of high gaiters, with a hunting crop swinging in his hand. So tall was he that his hat actually brushed the cross bar of the doorway, and his breadth seemed to span it across from side to side. A large face, seared with a thousand wrinkles, burned yellow with the sun, and marked with every passion, was turned from one to the other of us, while his deep set, bile shot eyes and the high thin fleshless nose, gave him somewhat the resemblance to a fierce old bird of prey.
'Which of you is Holmes?' asked this apparition....'I know you, you scoundrel! I have heard of you before. You are Holmes the meddler...Holmes the busybody!'"

6. "He was a small, slim, clean shaven prim faced man, flaxen haired and lean jawed, between thirty and forty years of age, dressed in a grey suit and wearing a straw hat. A tin box for botanical speciment hung over his shoulder and he carried a green butterfly net in one of his hands."

7. "...entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. She was a blonde young lady, small, dainty, well gloved and dressed in the most perfect taste. There was, however, a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. The dress was sombre greyish beige, untrimmed and unbraided, and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue, relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion, but her expression was sweet and amiable, and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents, I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature.â€

8. “His very person and appearance were such as to strike the attention of the most casual observer. In height he was rather over six feet, and so excessively lean that he seemed to be considerably taller. His eyes were sharp and piercing, save during those intervals or torpor…and his thin, hawk like nose gave his whole expression an air of alertness and decision. His chin, too, had the prominence and squareness which mark the man of determination. His hands were invariably blotted with ink and stained with chemicals, yet he was possessed of extraordinary delicacy of touch…†   

ROUND TWO - Sherlock Holmes and Music

9. What make of fiddle does Holmes play?

10. In the Jeremy Brett adaptations who composed & conducted the musical score? And who actually played Jeremy’s violin pieces?
(2 points)

11. Which story ends by Watson and Holmes attending a violin concerto?

12. Name the composer on BBC Sherlock and another classic British franchise he has scored music for.
(2 points)

13. From whose “spatulate finger-ends† and “spirituality about the face† does Holmes correctly deduce a profession in music? Name the client and the story. (2 points)

ROUND 3 - Sherlock Holmes Illustrated

Name the story these illustrations are from:

ROUND 4 - The One With…
From the following brief and sometimes odd descriptions, can you name the related Sherlock Holmes story. (For example: The One With…the Big Dog would be Hound of the Baskervilles).

The One With…

24. The Dodgy Curry

25. The Lost Digit

26. The Big Drop

27. The Dodgy Mormons

28. The Southern Bloodsucker

29. The Three Empties

30. The Woman

31. The Spotty Snake

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 6, 2012 7:26 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Quiz (02/08/12)

OK
I've sent Round 1 answers to you. I hope others try this quiz; the first round is not that hard .

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 6, 2012 9:08 am  #3

Round 2 done, except one. More research needed!

Round 3 should be easy....... as long as I have the right book!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 6, 2012 1:08 pm  #4

It's kind of a lot harder than it looks. Once you actually get through the information it's surprising how much you can remember.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 6, 2012 1:42 pm  #5

Yes well I keep getting sidetracked reading things, lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 6, 2012 4:06 pm  #6

Edited!!!   I  sent all 4 rounds separately to you, boss lady.   I  hope you print the answers here, I'd love to see the answers you came up with as I'm not sure of some of them.  thanks muchly!!  I  did a lot of research but this quiz was really fun,  especially for round four!! 

I  didn't  know the deadline for entry--these questions seem very easy  for me--  I  LOVE  the picture quiz part.  I  already  know  some of them.   I'll  work  on  mine  in  a few minutes.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (August 6, 2012 11:41 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 1:58 am  #7

Are you allowed to look the answers up? How long do you have and is it the person with the fastest time most correct answers or am I over thinking this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

August 7, 2012 2:08 am  #8

Morton--I can't answer for Sherlock our boss,  but my assumption is--  yes  you are allowed to look things up to find the answers.  I don't think it matters how,  or where.   And,  Sherlock did not post the deadline,  so therefore you've got all the time in the world,  until he/she comes back to say this is over.   The last two players--  myself and Kazza,  have sent our answers to Sherlock via the PM system here.  Hope that helps.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 2:15 am  #9

Morton wrote:

Are you allowed to look the answers up? How long do you have and is it the person with the fastest time most correct answers or am I over thinking this?

Oh yes, please do! That is the whole POINT of our quizzes. Online quizzes are too hard to put such conditions on & we WANT people to read through the canon, look at the illustrations, read notes on the plots, ANYTHING & EVERYTHING is allowed.
You will be surprised at how much you will learn from doing the quizzes, because (as I said earlier) you read something or see something that gets your attention & you end up on a fascinating trip through ACD's world.
I tend to save pages or bookmark them so that I can go back & check them out more.

So yes, do whatever you like to answer the questions; last quizzes' prizes were ......... nuffin.
This time the prizes have TRIPLED!!!!  ..........  triple nuffin is ... nuffin.

BUT the experience of wandering through ACD's words is worth more than any prize.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 7, 2012 2:18 am  #10

prizes?  we got prizes?   what are they?   and where is our boss lady hiding?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 2:21 am  #11

sherlockskitty wrote:

prizes?  we got prizes?   what are they?   and where is our boss lady hiding?

You didn't get your nuffin?

(Translated nuffin = nothing)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 7, 2012 2:24 am  #12

No  i didn't get my nuffin!!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 2:33 am  #13

sherlockskitty wrote:

No  i didn't get my nuffin!!!

Ok, I will make a call to the BLN (Bureau of Lost Nuffins) and see if they can help solve this.
Short of that, maybe you need some help from members here to track down where your nuffin went? There MUST be clues around somewhere.

Think like Sherlock.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 7, 2012 3:08 pm  #14

Thank you for the answer to my Q.

You slay me guys. I am crap at quizzes but love the canon and keep dipping back into it for info I need for RP's. If you've not tried RP'ing I recommend it. It makes you think about how you interpret the canon.

The images I'm pretty much struggling on. Must do this though.

I'd like a triple Nuffin to go with my collection of single Nuffins and 'Round Tuits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

August 8, 2012 4:45 pm  #15

Our boss lady  Sherlock  seems to have forgotten this quiz.  Even  tho she didn't ask  me to  do so,  I  sent her the answers instead of posting them here.  I'd  sure like to know if I won  or not.  I  already  know I got ONE  image wrong,  darn it.  The rest of it was easy.  Hey  SHERLOCK!!   wherefore art thou?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 9, 2012 8:14 pm  #16

Could someone please let the owner of this quiz know?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 9, 2012 8:20 pm  #17

sherlockskitty wrote:

Our boss lady  Sherlock  seems to have forgotten this quiz.  Even  tho she didn't ask  me to  do so,  I  sent her the answers instead of posting them here.  I'd  sure like to know if I won  or not.  I  already  know I got ONE  image wrong,  darn it.  The rest of it was easy.  Hey  SHERLOCK!!   wherefore art thou?

He's gone. He does that.
Stay away from Sherlock Holmes!

Maybe you can remind him/her tomorrow - in a birthday card.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 12, 2012 6:30 am  #18

I did remind her.   what's going on?  I give up.   Hee's my answers.   I  know I'm right  on most of them.   

ROUND 1 - A Case Of Identity
From these canoninical descriptions, deduce the identities of the following people:

1.   Scandal In Bohemia--      Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel-Felstein, and hereditary King of Bohemia."           

2.   Charles Augustus Milverton--  The adventure of CAM 

3.   Colonel Sebastian Moran of The Empty House story

4.   Professor James Moriarty,  from  THE FINAL PROBLEM 

5.  Dr Grimesby Roylott in The Speckled Band

6.  Stapleton, in Hound of the Baskervilles  story

7.   Mary Morstan, Sign of Four story

8.  Sherlock Holmes,   In  Study in Scarlet   

ROUND TWO - Sherlock Holmes and Music
9. What make of fiddle does Holmes play?

Stradivarus

10. In the Jeremy Brett adaptations who composed & conducted the musical score? And who actually played Jeremy’s violin pieces?
(2 points) 
Patrick Gowers did the scores;   His daughter, Katherine Gowers, played the violin for Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock Holmes character. 

11. Which story ends by Watson and Holmes attending a violin concerto?

The Red-headed League story

12. Name the composer on BBC Sherlock and another classic British franchise he has scored music for.

Micheal Price;   David Arnold  (who also scored 5 James Bond movies) 
(2 points)

13. From whose “spatulate finger-ends��  and “spirituality about the face��  does Holmes correctly deduce a profession in music? Name the client and the story. (2 points)

Answer--Violet  Smith—The solitary Cyclist

ROUND 3 - Sherlock Holmes Illustrated
Name the story these illustrations are from:

The second Stain   

The

The Adventure of Black Peter

The Solitary cyclist   Jack Woodley

JThe

Charles Augustus Milverton   story

Study In Scarlet--

The Blue Carbuncle

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor

The Speckled Band 

Silver Blaze  Story

The Crooked Man

ROUND 4 - The One With…
From the following brief and sometimes odd descriptions, can you name the related Sherlock Holmes story. (For example: The One With…the Big Dog would be Hound of the Baskervilles).

The One With…

24. The Dodgy Curry---

The Silver Blaze story   

25. The Lost Digit

The Dancing Men

26. The Big Drop

The Reichenbach Falls—The Final Problem   

27. The Dodgy Mormons

The Valley Of Fear 

28. The Southern Bloodsucker

Sussex Vampyre

29. The Three Empties

The three garidebs  or the Three students 

30. The Woman

Scandal in Bohemia

31. The Spotty Snake

The Speckled Band 

ROUND 4 - The One With…

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 17, 2012 12:56 pm  #19

HEY GUYS!

Patience Kitty...I hadn't forgotten the quiz...I was just trying to give as much time as possible for people to send me in the answers. As it turned out only two people attempted it in the end. Maybe there were too many questions that put people off? But it actually looked a lot more daunting than it actually was, it's pretty easy once you get down to it. Anyway, here are the answers:

Round 1 (Descriptions round)
1. King Of Bohemia or Willhelm Gottseich Sigismond von Ormstein
2. Charles Augustus Milverton
3. Colonel Sebastian Moran
4. Professor James Moriarty
5. Dr Grimesby Roylott
6. Jack Stapleton
7. Mary Morstan
8. Sherlock Holmes

Round Two:
9. Stradivarius
10. Patrick Gowers. Jeremy’s violin pieces were played by his daughter.
11. The Red Headed League
12. David Arnold. James Bond
13. Violet Smith. The Solitary Cyclist

Round Three (Pictures)

14. Second Stain
15. Black Peter
16. Solitary Cyclist
17. Charles Augustus Milverton
18. A Study In Scarlet
19. Blue Carbuncle
20. Noble Bachelor
21. Speckled Band
22. Silver Blaze
23. Crooked Man

Round Four (The One With...)

24. Silver Blaze
25. Engineer’s Thumb
26. Final Problem
27. Study In Scarlet
28. Sussex Vampire
29. Abbey Grange
30. Scandal In Bohemia
31. The Speckled Band

And the results are:

Skitty: 30 and a half out of 32
Kazza: 31 out of 32

Well done guys! 

August 17, 2012 3:33 pm  #20

Well  now I know which ones I missed--  30  out of 32  , you mean I only got 2 right?   that's pretty impressive--I'm terrible at tests.  (I  'm joking here....)  good job kazza   the image part was  lovely--  the only illustrated SH book I have is the Hound one,  and it was great looking these up online.   Perhaps next time  do  a theme of one.   these quizzes sharpen my skills of SH lore.  See,  I know some big words.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera