BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2015 4:32 am  #21

Re: After Sherlock saved John

Dorothy83 wrote:

I honestly think that Sherlock wouldn't give a hoot about not being welcome - I mean we've had SOOOO many instances where Sherlock freaked out about John's wellbeing, of course he would go to the hospital anyway and wait until he knew John was alright!! I mean.... it's Sherlock we're talking about!

Yes, the same Sherlock who left the wedding early. Why did he do that, in your opinion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 14, 2015 5:03 pm  #22

nakahara wrote:

TeaCub wrote:

I remember feeling pretty annoyed when I read John's blog and included in the entry is John saying that Sherlock probably did it just so he could save John and get him to forgive him. I know it's meant as a joke, but that's pretty heartless. 

Yes, that was awful. And puzzling - John, barely conscious as he was, still heard Sherlock bellowing his name in fear. Mary probably told him how they only saved him in time after having to crack the codes that came to them through SMS and how Sherlock tore to the bonfire in panic, trying to dig him out from under it. And yet he made comment like that?

I actually agree with thtis-- John has a history of saying stuff like this on his blog-- to other people-- very passive aggressive-- and he tends to think the worst of Sherlock. He does not get a pass from me for that . 

September 14, 2015 5:05 pm  #23

SusiGo wrote:

I do not really agree with you. This is just sarcastic John speaking and he adds:

"Set it all up just so he could save my life so I'd forgive him about what he did. Nah, I know it wasn't really."

And further down: 

"But then the whole kidnapping/bonfire thing happened. And he saved my life, of course. And I went to say thanks and... I was hooked. He's like a drug. He told me about the terrorist plot and I was hooked."

I wasn't happy about that last, either.
So John knows what Sherlock did for him - during the bonfire and before on the roof. And just look at the wording: hooked, drug. 

"It's bloody brilliant. #sherlocklives means #johnwatsonlives."

I personally find this here far more offensive and it throws an interesting light on the park bench scene in TSoT:

I will say, though, she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Sorry, Sherlock  

I was not happy with that last, either...

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (September 14, 2015 5:06 pm)

September 15, 2015 8:59 am  #24

Let's remember though that that blog is chock full of mistakes and reads as if it's disconnected from the show. Therefore I don't take it seriously at all - how can we? Half of it makes no sense and/or is disconnected from the show and from John's voice.

September 15, 2015 7:26 pm  #25

Dorothy83 wrote:

Let's remember though that that blog is chock full of mistakes and reads as if it's disconnected from the show. Therefore I don't take it seriously at all - how can we? Half of it makes no sense and/or is disconnected from the show and from John's voice.

I agree.. since I read the author of the blog stating he makes most of it up unsupervised I don't regard it as part of the text anymore. (The best thing about it are the made-up cases.. The one in which John and Sherlock dress up as ninjas..  )

September 15, 2015 8:06 pm  #26

Zatoichi wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

I agree.. since I read the author of the blog stating he makes most of it up unsupervised I don't regard it as part of the text anymore. (The best thing about it are the made-up cases.. The one in which John and Sherlock dress up as ninjas.. )

The problem for me is that some of it is obviously connected with the show-- and is endorsed ( or appears to be) by the show's producers. So, that lends a certain amount of weight to the blog, whether I like it or not. :-(  I find it hard to just cherry-pick what I want to believe and what i don't want to believe. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (September 15, 2015 8:07 pm)

September 15, 2015 8:28 pm  #27

From the Sherlock book, the author of the blog said that in general, his writing was approved by the crew (Moftiss). I can't remember the exact wording, but can look it up if you guys want.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 15, 2015 8:56 pm  #28

I cherrypick when it comes to the blog.. I find it pretty easy to ignore. It just seems too carelessly written to actually take it into account.. Sometimes even officially approved things don't meet the usual standard (the John-Watson-Board at the last convention comes to mind.) And else my opinion of John would seriously suffer.. I share your feelings towards the way he expresses himself there @Raven..

But maybe that should go in another thread..?

Actually i asked myself the same questions about the time after Sherlock pulled John out of the fire.. the two scenes feel so disconnected. Maybe I'll go with the version that the ambulance only let Mary as the fiance accompany John, and Sherlock was content with knowing him safe and returned to Baker Street (to have a bisquit with Mrs. H and the bike owner, during which he embarrasses him with personal details he deduced from the bike  ).

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 15, 2015 8:57 pm)

September 15, 2015 9:00 pm  #29

Zatoichi wrote:

Actually i asked myself the same questions about the time after Sherlock pulled John out of the fire.. the two scenes feel so disconnected. Maybe I'll go with the version that the ambulance only let Mary as the fiance accompany John, and Sherlock was content with knowing him safe and returned to Baker Street (to have a bisquit with Mrs. H and the bike owner, during which he embarrasses him with personal details he deduced from the bike ).

I like this theory. I can totally see Sherlock torturing the bike owner with his deductions.... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 15, 2015 9:06 pm  #30

Zatoichi wrote:

I cherrypick when it comes to the blog.. I find it pretty easy to ignore. It just seems too carelessly written to actually take it into account.. Sometimes even officially approved things don't meet the usual standard (the John-Watson-Board at the last convention comes to mind.) And else my opinion of John would seriously suffer.. I share your feelings towards the way he expresses himself there @Raven..

Actually i asked myself the same questions about the time after Sherlock pulled John out of the fire.. the two scenes feel so disconnected. Maybe I'll go with the version that the ambulance only let Mary as the fiance accompany John, and Sherlock was content with knowing him safe and returned to Baker Street (to have a bisquit with Mrs. H and the bike owner, during which he embarrasses him with personal details he deduced from the bike ).

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but-- honestly, I think it's par for the course; the show and the blog are not always seamless when it comes to continuity, plot holes, consistency of characterization.... so, I take the show AND the blog with a wheelbarrel of salt-- and I think the show is more valid than the blog. But I think they both count. 

September 15, 2015 9:18 pm  #31

On the other hand, Sherlock´s blog isn´t something you would await from a genius either. Even Connie Prince, that poor victim from TGG, had a better blog than this. 

Actually, the best blog of them all is definitely Molly´s blog. The cats alone cracked me up. 

http://www.mollyhooper.co.uk/

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 15, 2015 9:19 pm  #32

True. 

September 15, 2015 9:35 pm  #33

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but-- honestly, I think it's par for the course; the show and the blog are not always seamless when it comes to continuity, plot holes, consistency of characterization.... so, I take the show AND the blog with a wheelbarrel of salt-- and I think the show is more valid than the blog. But I think they both count. 

No flack from me.. i absolutely agree. I think the writers mainly had fun and didn't pain themselves too much with making sense of everything.. so I take the same artistic license for my reception and interpretation.. 

September 15, 2015 10:31 pm  #34

nakahara wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

I like this theory. I can totally see Sherlock torturing the bike owner with his deductions.... 

Then again, he barely was in his usual form at that momet.. Maybe he just wistfully watched the ambulance drive off and returned back home to his dark flat and cold chips..desperately trying to solve the puzzle but barely able to concentrate with John so close to death and so far out of reach.. (To bring back a little angst here..  )

September 15, 2015 10:33 pm  #35

Zatoichi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

Then again, he barely was in his usual form at that momet.. Maybe he just wistfully watched the ambulance drive off and returned back home to his dark flat and cold chips..desperately trying to solve the puzzle but barely able to concentrate with John so close to death and so far out of reach.. (To bring back a little angst here.. )

Due to the tone of that episode ( the way they are showing Sherlock-- as almost crippled without John-- or at least severely compromised) I tend to think the latter approach is more likely. 

Board footera