BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2015 11:08 am  #1

Episode transcripts (and commentary, and DVD extra transcripts)

Just for anyone who missed my recent announcement elsewhere:

For years people have been asking, “Why hasn’t Ariane made the transcripts available to download?” To which my answer has been along the lines of, “You know why she’s here? She’s not paid or anything.”  
But, three and a half years after starting to write Sherlock transcripts, I have finally relented and have made the transcripts available to download.  
Not only that, but I’ve done variations on just the full transcripts.  They are:

1.  One single file containing all the episodes (including the pilot and Many Happy Returns).  428 pages, with a page index and everything!
2.  One single file containing all the episodes (including the pilot and MHR) with just the speaker and the spoken words.  No descriptions or voice tones, no snarky asides from your transcriber.  A mere 192 pages!
3.  One single file containing a list of all the lines spoken by each of 25 of the characters throughout all the episodes (including the pilot and MHR).  158 pages, with a handy page index so you can easily see who’s included and then jump to the appropriate character’s lines.

All files are available to download in Word (.docx) or as a PDF.  To save clogging up this forum, if you’re interested in more details, head to my Livejournal blog for the links.

Last edited by Ariane DeVere (May 6, 2016 12:45 pm)

September 15, 2015 11:10 am  #2

Re: Episode transcripts (and commentary, and DVD extra transcripts)

Thank you very much, Ariane, for the amazing work you did and for making it available as download. I am sure this will help many of us in finding quotes, etc. even quicker and easier. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2015 11:17 am  #3

Wondeful, Ariane! Thank you so much for all those beautiful transcripts again and for making them available in this manner! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 15, 2015 12:42 pm  #4

Wow, thank you so much! I had created file #1 already by myself but without MHR, and made some feeble attempts to transform a copy of that to file#2.
Now I will exchange them for #1, #2 and #4 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 15, 2015 4:47 pm  #5

Thank you so much for providing this for us!

September 15, 2015 7:14 pm  #6

Wow I feel like it's already Christmas! Thank you very much for sharing your work, Ariane. These transcripts are a real treasure trove.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

September 16, 2015 6:52 pm  #7

Thank you so much for this Ariane on behalf of all the fic writers. You're transcripts are a treasure house none of us can do without.

January 11, 2016 1:48 pm  #8

Sorry, sorry - I had so many places to post the link and forgot this forum.

Transcript of The Abominable Bride here.

I hope to work on the DVD Extras fairly soon.

January 11, 2016 1:52 pm  #9

You are the best - I never thank you on LJ because I have no account, but I really appreciate all your work! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 11, 2016 1:53 pm  #10

Thank you so much! You are wonderful! (And super quick, as always).

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2016 5:13 pm  #11

Thank you, indeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2016 7:17 pm  #12

WOW a huge thank you

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

January 18, 2016 1:49 pm  #13

There are now transcripts of new material which appears only on the Special Features of the DVD of The Abominable Bride. They do not include descriptions of every visual moment – you should buy the DVD yourself to see those! But I hope that they may be useful in particular to viewers whose first language is not English and/or who are unable to access the subtitles.

There’s no audio commentary on the DVD. I suspect that in a few months there will be a new DVD called something cunning like “The Special Special” and we’ll all be expected to buy it again to get an audio commentary and one or two extra extras.

Warning: Each of the Special Features contains spoilers. Enter with care if you haven’t seen the episode yet.

Links are here: http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/36505.html

January 18, 2016 2:33 pm  #14

Thank you yet again .   It's wonderful that you do this for us!

February 15, 2016 4:10 pm  #15

Back in September last year I announced that I had finally made all of my Sherlock transcripts available to download.  I have now updated all of the downloads to incorporate the transcript of The Abominable Bride.  However, for the benefit of anyone who downloaded earlier versions and then edited/annotated them and doesn’t want to tamper with them, I’ve also added TAB-only files in the hope that they’ll be useful to a few people.

The various downloadable versions of the transcripts are:

1.  One single file containing all the episodes (including the pilot, Many Happy Returns and the Special).  473 pages, with a page index and everything!  Additionally, there is a TAB-only version.
2.  One single file containing all the episodes (including the pilot, MHR and the Special) with just the speaker and the spoken words.  No descriptions or voice tones, no snarky asides from your transcriber.  A mere 213 pages!  Additionally, a TAB-only version.
3.  One single file containing a list of all the lines spoken by each of 25 of the characters throughout all the episodes (including the pilot, MHR and the Special).  179 pages, with a handy page index so you can easily see who’s included and then jump to the appropriate character’s lines.  Additionally ... no, sorry, you’re on your own with that one.

All files are available to download in Word (.docx) or as a PDF.  To save clogging up this comm, if you’re interested in more details, head to my updated LJ blog entry for the links.

February 15, 2016 4:13 pm  #16

Thumbs up, Ariane! 

July 7, 2016 7:22 am  #17

They are very useful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2016 8:19 am  #18

Lautrela wrote:

I'm just discovering this topic and OMG !!!
Thank you so much Ariane for your hard work *bow respectfully*

Now, you see, this is the way I should be treated, with the bowing down and all. ;)

Seriously, you're very welcome.  It's always nice to know that people are excited even now to discover the transcripts.

July 7, 2016 8:29 am  #19

I didn't know about the download. The pdfs are something for my ebook reader. Always by hand if needed. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 4, 2017 6:03 am  #20

Part 1 of the transcript of The Six Thatchers is now up:

http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/86813.html

Part 2 should hopefully go up on Thursday or Friday.

Board footera