BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2015 6:45 am  #4101

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SusiGo wrote:

And one last point - Sherlock and John are not your regular buddies, there is no "bromance" between them. They are bantering, true, but I feel that there are many unspoken things and secret looks and all that that give their relationship a different quality. 

Yes, I agree. 

I do think it would have been impossible to make Starsky and Hutch a gay couple in the '70s.  There were gay characters in films, but I'm not sure about mainstream TV.   I know in the UK we didn't get a gay character in a soap until the 80s.    So I think an awful lot of stuff on screen was coded hints - gay characters and relationships weren't shown outright but there were clues for those in the know.     I don't think that's happening in Sherlock - we've moved on since those times.  But it is referenced. 

@ Raven, does John put Mary first?  I'm not sure that he does. 

September 14, 2015 7:16 am  #4102

For what we get in the second half of HLV I would agree with Raven. Just consider the tarmac scene.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 14, 2015 7:30 am  #4103

Liberty wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

And one last point - Sherlock and John are not your regular buddies, there is no "bromance" between them. They are bantering, true, but I feel that there are many unspoken things and secret looks and all that that give their relationship a different quality. 

Yes, I agree. 

I do think it would have been impossible to make Starsky and Hutch a gay couple in the '70s.  There were gay characters in films, but I'm not sure about mainstream TV.   I know in the UK we didn't get a gay character in a soap until the 80s.    So I think an awful lot of stuff on screen was coded hints - gay characters and relationships weren't shown outright but there were clues for those in the know.     I don't think that's happening in Sherlock - we've moved on since those times.  But it is referenced. 

Yes, I really think we've moved on since those times. That's the main reason I find it hard to root for their non-platonic love affair - if there is to be romance for Sherlock with a human being I want it to be open, passionate, fiercly protective and at least as glorious as I think he as a person is. Not all about repression without any easily understandable reasons (imo there is no bi-erasure in Sherlock with Mrs. H and Irene both suggesting John might be into women and Sherlock), denial, coded desire, stale grown-up choices against him and even taking up married life with the person who letally wounded him again.. it makes me feel exasperated rather than excited to imagine that's what love-life has in store for the both of them. And I find it hard to imagine that this is the kind of positive representation the Bbc-report had in mind.. nearly a decade of angst and pining before the tension is finally released with a happy ending. It is almost the opposite to Mark's vision of a gay detective-couple just doing their thing and being maverick without their relationship-status ever being the topic.

September 14, 2015 8:25 am  #4104

I think there have been interesting points over the last few pages.
Just a couple of thoughts:
I would like to take a step back and remember, what "Johnlock" actually means for those seeing it in the show. In my opinion we get too fixed on the sex here. Do they want to jump on each other- yes or no?
Well, if the sex is the only thing defining Johnlock- very well, we will most probably not see them sharing a bed. But Johnlock is more:
- as Raven mentioned: being the most important person for each other
- recognizing it, admitting it, living with it.
- being comfortable around each other without angst, anger or sacrifices that endanger this dynamic for a third person
- living together again and not having the pain of missing each other terribly ( metaphor: the chairs)
- giving them time, as we do in lots and lots of stories in books or on the screen (even in real life it took Ben and Sophie a lot of years, didn't it?)
- last not least: falling in love with a human being, not a gender
- and yes: as the creators have found Martin and Benedict the Johnlockers wouldn't mind a kiss
(there are quite a lot of explicite fanfics out there where it takes an astoundingly little to no stretch of imagination to see them falling for each other and the physical desires btw.)

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 14, 2015 8:28 am  #4105

I'm sorry, but I insist on the Gherkin, the pool scene, the rug scene, the knee grope and the like 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 14, 2015 8:30 am  #4106

You do not try to convince me, do you?

September 14, 2015 8:30 am  #4107

Thank you, mrshouse. Just what I keep thinking. The funny thing is that it is usually the people who do not see Johnlock keep bringing up the sex. For me the most important point has always been the exclusivity of the relationship which IMO is incompatible with a marriage or other relationship of one or both characters. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 14, 2015 9:16 am  #4108

I agree with the last posts. Sherlock and John are just as devoted to each other as any romantic couple could be (and sometimes even more). The other one is what their life revolves around, they are miserable when the other one isn't there, and they prioritize the other one above everything and everyone else. So much so that John can't get a relationship with a woman to work as long as Sherlock is around, and even when you think he got everything (Sherlock back as a friend and a pregnant wife) he is stil miserable. And Sherlock sacrifices absolutely everything for John's happiness alone.

Sex or no sex, that is to me pure love and devotion, on a level beyond what I've seen in many married couples.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 14, 2015 9:21 am  #4109

I'm all pro-Johnlock, if their relationship goals are fulfilled as soon as they sit in quiet harmony in their flat and talk about the thrill of their last case..

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 14, 2015 9:22 am)

September 14, 2015 9:28 am  #4110

SusiGo wrote:

Thank you, mrshouse. Just what I keep thinking. The funny thing is that it is usually the people who do not see Johnlock keep bringing up the sex.

But that's not quite true, isn't it? This time the sex was brought up by the suggestion that if they don't end up together and it's not a classical "strangers-to-lovers"-arc it is hurtful to queer audiences and all the used tropes wouldn't make any sense.
That's where I disagree, but I would happily sign all the last posts about the beauty of their relationship. 

September 14, 2015 10:05 am  #4111

But the beauty of their relationship only worked as long as there was no serious third party in the picture. I think in the whole of series 3 we did not get back the mood of series 1 and 2 and Mary was not the only but a decisive factor.
So I would like to know what their relationship could be in the future? Because both Johnlockers and non-Johnlockers seem to wish for something they did not get in series 3. I am not sure if there can and will be a return to John serial dating and Sherlock … well, doing nothing. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 14, 2015 10:06 am  #4112

I know I've said this before, but the reason sex is important is that without it, we all pretty much see the same thing.   And without sex there's no Johnlock, is there?  If there is no sexual attraction between them, then there's "just" the special, loving friendship that we all see.  And (I know I'm repeating myself again, sorry, but it does keep coming up), that's not because sex is the focus of a relationship, necessarily, but it's what changes the nature of a relationship (from friends to lovers). 

I could see them happily being together without sex - that's not what they want from each other, I don't think.  John does want sexual relationships, but he could continue to have those.  I don't think he ever craved or planned a family life before Mary's unexpected pregnancy, so I could see him living without that.     I don't think it needs to be a sexual relationship to be a fulfilling one.  It's a different kind of thing. 

In the Mumbai interview, Mark said that they thought ACD realised he made a mistake by marrying off John, and that he needed him back at Baker Street.   I think that means that they won't be making the same  mistake and have a solution in mind. 

September 14, 2015 6:37 pm  #4113

Liberty wrote:

I know I've said this before, but the reason sex is important is that without it, we all pretty much see the same thing.   And without sex there's no Johnlock, is there?  If there is no sexual attraction between them, then there's "just" the special, loving friendship that we all see.  And (I know I'm repeating myself again, sorry, but it does keep coming up), that's not because sex is the focus of a relationship, necessarily, but it's what changes the nature of a relationship (from friends to lovers). 

I could see them happily being together without sex - that's not what they want from each other, I don't think.  John does want sexual relationships, but he could continue to have those.  I don't think he ever craved or planned a family life before Mary's unexpected pregnancy, so I could see him living without that.     I don't think it needs to be a sexual relationship to be a fulfilling one.  It's a different kind of thing. 

In the Mumbai interview, Mark said that they thought ACD realised he made a mistake by marrying off John, and that he needed him back at Baker Street.   I think that means that they won't be making the same  mistake and have a solution in mind. 

I couldn't agree more! Sex IS the one thing that changes a relation - not always completely, but rather overwhelmingly. And as long as Sherlock and John don't end up in bed together I myself wouldn't call their relationship "Johnlock".
Don't get me wrong, I share your opinion: They LOVE each other - but to me that's not equal to a romantic/sexual relation, it's just something different.

And, by the way, I don't see John ever being unhappy with Mary! Certainly, he is "pissed off", but he truly loves her and is happy being together with her. I don't see any sign of suppressed homosexual/bisexual feelings ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

September 14, 2015 6:42 pm  #4114

I agree-- sex is the game changer. It makes it glaringly, unamibigously obvious that it's a Romantic Love, not a "bromance". 

September 14, 2015 6:50 pm  #4115

Kornmuhme - Perhaps you could tell us how often John smiles with affection at Mary in HLV, if he is so happy with her?

Raven and kornmuhme - there are so many sex allusions already.

Raven: How could what we see be "bromance"? Bromance means happy best buddies, comfortable with each other's physical presence, talking with pride in public about their deep loving relationship, and being happy for the other's significant others.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 14, 2015 7:44 pm  #4116

Harriet wrote:

Kornmuhme - Perhaps you could tell us how often John smiles with affection at Mary in HLV, if he is so happy with her?

Raven and kornmuhme - there are so many sex allusions already.

Raven: How could what we see be "bromance"? Bromance means happy best buddies, comfortable with each other's physical presence, talking with pride in public about their deep loving relationship, and being happy for the other's significant others.

Bromance-- well, when Sherlock did everything he could to keep Mary and John together (scratches head) that would , by your definiton be a bromantic (?) action. Sherlock has talked (in public) about his loving relationship with John-- John has not, really.  Sherlock planned John's and Mary's wedding, fer cryin' out loud. (More head scratching) 

September 14, 2015 7:51 pm  #4117

The "B" is silent.

I need to put that on a T-shirt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 14, 2015 7:51 pm  #4118

tonnaree wrote:

The "B" is silent.

I need to put that on a T-shirt.

!!!!

September 14, 2015 7:51 pm  #4119

I heard you. 

September 14, 2015 7:53 pm  #4120

Yes, I must make a new T-Shirt for 221b Con next year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera