BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2015 9:38 am  #1

Where can you find and read Sherlock Holmes untold tales? or buy?

I have the list of untold stories, but i can't find them anywhere to read it. Do they even exist?

September 8, 2015 10:45 am  #2

Re: Where can you find and read Sherlock Holmes untold tales? or buy?

cslewisandtolkien wrote:

I have the list of untold stories, but i can't find them anywhere to read it. Do they even exist?

I´m afraid most of those "untold tales" mentioned in the Canon don´t exist indeed - they are only there to create an illusion that Sherlock solved numerous cases of which we know nothing, because Dr. Watson didn´t write about them.

But there are some short stories and pastiches created by ACD and his son Adrian Doyle, which are not considered canonical and which feature Sherlock. They are listed here under the name "Extracanonical works":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_of_Sherlock_Holmes

Last edited by nakahara (September 8, 2015 11:37 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 8, 2015 10:54 am  #3

These uncanonical tales are sometimes printed in the special editions, for example, Czech republic printed them under the name "Forgotten cases of Sherlock Holmes":

I´m sure that something like that can also be discovered in English.

Last edited by nakahara (September 8, 2015 10:54 am)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 8, 2015 11:58 am  #4

Found it! In English, the book is called "The Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", compiled by Peter Haining:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QTM43VXVL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

http://www.amazon.com/The-Final-Adventures-Sherlock-Holmes/dp/097640253X

September 8, 2015 1:41 pm  #5

nakahara thank you very much!..

September 8, 2015 7:36 pm  #6

Wow, good job, nakahara! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 3, 2015 3:18 pm  #7

November 3, 2015 4:08 pm  #8

it is interesting indeed!.. thank you again..

November 3, 2015 7:13 pm  #9

Not at all, not at all, it was done with pleasure.

I posted another good link on Holmesian pastiches also in another thread. Some of them are readable, some are listed. I´ll post this link also here:

http://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php/Pastiches_&_Parodies

November 3, 2015 7:50 pm  #10

will look at it definitely.. maybe I already said this to you but - thank you..

Board footera