BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2015 12:07 am  #1

John and Sherlock's weight

It's weird question time again!! 😁

This is something I wonder sometimes. Because we know their height obviously but I think their weight could be deceptive, since Sherlock is supposed to be quite skinny. What are your thoughts?

September 6, 2015 5:16 am  #2

Re: John and Sherlock's weight

When I googled "How much does Benedict Cumberbatch weigh" I found a site that claimed 79kg, and the same question for Martin Freeman results in 62kg. I would guess Sherlock's weight might be a bit less than 79kg though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6, 2015 7:25 am  #3

Well, as seen in S3, Sherlock (Ben) is surprisingly muscular and fit for being so apparently skinny. And muscles weigh more than fat, so I reckon he probably is 79 kg.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 6, 2015 7:45 am  #4

I was thinking more of S1 Sherlock I guess

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6, 2015 7:47 am  #5

I would also say it depends on which season you’re talking about. For the first season Ben lost quite some weight (I think he usually diets for Sherlock), but if you look at him in TEH in his shirt you can tell that he filled out quite a bit retained a bit of his Kahn-physics. I would guess that Martin is a little bit heavier than 62 kg, too. I am about as tall as he is, and slender, but I weigh about as much as that. Men usually weigh a bit more than women when both have a similar height and frame because of the different body compositions.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

September 6, 2015 8:39 am  #6

Yeah I agree I also think Martin weighs more than that.

But in terms of the question I'm referring more to the characters rather than the actors - as in, what do you think John and Sherlock are 'supposed' to weigh in BBC Sherlock

September 6, 2015 10:59 am  #7

For the characters, I'd say they both have about the same weight. John is quite muscular although we don't see it much. While Sherlock really looks skinny in series 1, and even if he had lots of muscles, I don't think he would weigh much with that appearance. For Sherlock and John I would each guess at 65-70kg. I don't think less. I'm smaller and not that muscular and already reach that weight, so them being men I find it highly unlikely to be lighter. Sherlock looks skinnier than John, but I guess his height would add the missing kg.

To me, 62kg for Martin Freeman don't sound much. I weigh more than him, being a slim girl, having no muscles, being only slightly taller... but maybe it's the good old bones thing and he simply has very light bones ;-)

Last edited by Whisky (September 6, 2015 11:02 am)

"It is what it is."

Board footera