BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2015 10:27 pm  #161

Re: Mycroft Holmes

I think there could still be a pressure chain. CAM seems to fancy himself as even more powerful as Mycroft. He also started to work on the pressure chain the moment Sherlock came back to London. Maybe he turned against Mycroft once he thought he could get the upper hand. Sherlock’s visit could have been planned by Mycroft, in order to take CAM down.

I have just discovered a small thing that I wonder about. In ASIP Sherlock says Mycroft “is the British government” and “the British secret service and the CIA on a freelance basis”. In SIB Irene talks about Mycroft’s “masters”. In HLV CAM calls him “the most powerful man in the country”. Mycroft’s omniscience is already terrifying, but the thought of him having “master” just gives me Goosebumps (though he might have climbed the career ladder to the very top since SIB).

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

September 5, 2015 9:10 am  #162

I usually don’t post metas and other external information because I rather write down my thoughts in my own words, but I found this very interesting tumblr about Mycroft. This post goes a bit more into the idea of Mycroft’s masters and directly places him back into position as “the most dangerous man you have ever met”.
http://wellingtongoose.tumblr.com/post/32412162614/enigma1

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

September 5, 2015 4:36 pm  #163

I have a feeling that Mycroft knows all about Mary's past, probably through CAM.  Why else would he warn Sherlock not to get involved?

September 15, 2015 7:21 pm  #164

Dorothy83 wrote:

dioscureantwins wrote:

I'm convinced Mycroft can be utterly ruthles and would has no qualms about starting a minor war if it serves British interests. But he'd rather chop off his right arm than hurt his little brother. 

I agree. When it comes to brotherly fights or picking on him or any other childish stuff Mycroft is more than happy to, but he would never actually allow Sherlock to be seriously harmed physically - and emotionally, Mycroft would only allow it if the circumstances doesn't leave room for alternative solutions, and then he would make absolutely sure to look after him (even though he is a bit overbearing and perhaps doesn't go about it the 'right' way - but who exactly knows what the right way is in these cases, especially if it's a family member we're talking about?). I mean look how worried he was about him when he thought he was suffering after Irene's death....

I do so absolutely agree with you in this.

September 15, 2015 7:24 pm  #165

Lola Red wrote:

I think there could still be a pressure chain. CAM seems to fancy himself as even more powerful as Mycroft. He also started to work on the pressure chain the moment Sherlock came back to London. Maybe he turned against Mycroft once he thought he could get the upper hand. Sherlock’s visit could have been planned by Mycroft, in order to take CAM down.

I have just discovered a small thing that I wonder about. In ASIP Sherlock says Mycroft “is the British government” and “the British secret service and the CIA on a freelance basis”. In SIB Irene talks about Mycroft’s “masters”. In HLV CAM calls him “the most powerful man in the country”. Mycroft’s omniscience is already terrifying, but the thought of him having “master” just gives me Goosebumps (though he might have climbed the career ladder to the very top since SIB).

I'd assumed that to be a reference to those clients with a navy on whose behalf Mycroft commissioned Sherlock to get hold of that phone in the first place.

September 15, 2015 7:25 pm  #166

OnlyinWestwood wrote:

I have a feeling that Mycroft knows all about Mary's past, probably through CAM.  Why else would he warn Sherlock not to get involved?

If he does, why is Mary even still alive at the beginning of S3?

September 15, 2015 7:47 pm  #167

I'm even more worried about CAM mentioning Readbeard...

September 16, 2015 9:55 am  #168

I hope Mofftiss have all this in hand and it's not a bunch of plot holes and lose threads 'a la Lost...

September 16, 2015 10:51 am  #169

Oh I'm sure it will be fine, if not, the fanfic writers will make it so 

September 16, 2015 12:29 pm  #170

Let the Fic Writers be praised. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 16, 2015 6:49 pm  #171

JP wrote:

I'm afraid  I felt CAM was a villain that did S3 full justice. Not that interesting.

September 16, 2015 7:24 pm  #172

JP wrote:

Now that is a really good point that I haven't thougth about. How on earth would CAM know about Sherlock's childhood dog?!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 16, 2015 7:36 pm  #173

There is a bit of a parallel with TRF where Moriarty resp. Kitty knew about Sherlock's past. Probably from Mycroft for all that we know.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 16, 2015 7:58 pm  #174

SusiGo wrote:

There is a bit of a parallel with TRF where Moriarty resp. Kitty knew about Sherlock's past. Probably from Mycroft for all that we know.

Maybe from interrogating Moriarty? 

September 16, 2015 8:08 pm  #175

Definitely, I'd say. 

September 16, 2015 8:13 pm  #176

Either that or by tapping Mycroft’s/Sherlock’s phone during the wedding. We know CAM was still looking for pressure points.

September 29, 2015 3:31 pm  #177

Mycroft is a fake ! 😈
Makes me laugh thinking That according to everyone he is the british governement however he spends his life spying his Brother and kidnapping John to once again talk about Sherlock.
Mycroft,you big liar, You Never work ! 😋

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

October 14, 2015 10:24 am  #178

Mycroft is certainly one of the more complex(and therefore interesting) characters.
He likes to be seen as the height of The Establishment.
So he sometimes is in an awkward place: Sherlock can sometimes help and other times he causes problems!
But he is Mycroft's little brother and I suspect Mummy expects Mycroft to keep an eye on him.
But there does also seems some filial concern, possibly cos of losing the other one!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2015 10:29 am  #179

I also think Mummy expects Mycroft to look after Sherlock, just like parents often do with older kids, but I do also think that Mycroft does it out of his own choice too. Because he loves him.

October 14, 2015 11:21 am  #180

Aw...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera