BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2015 9:22 pm  #1

Sherlock and Doctor Who?

Is it worth it try to watch Doctor Who tv show? BBC Sherlock fans answer only.

July 17, 2015 12:53 am  #2

Re: Sherlock and Doctor Who?

I would say yes.  While I think that as far as oerall quality is concerned, Sherlock is better and more exciting, Doctor Who is still quite good and quite enjoyable.  I haven't seen any of the original, "Classic" (as many fans call it) episodes of 60s and 70s, but I have seen the first few seasons of the reboot, and I still enjoy it even though some episodes not as much as others.  There are some very well written episodes (some of my favourites written by Mark Gatiss or Steven Moffat).  So I would recommend it.  Whatever you do, don't skip the first series (Christopher Eccelston as the Ninth Doctor)!
Sherlock and Doctor Who are quite different shows, but they both have their own charm and can both be quite moving as well as exciting.  I already mentioned the writing, but there are episodes with some actors you will recognize from Sherlock: Mark Gatiss, Vinette Robinson, Russell Tovey.

Clueing for looks.

July 17, 2015 7:21 am  #3

Yes, I can confirm that. I started with Eccleston as well and now I am currently watching series 7 with Matt Smith. What may be interesting for Sherlock fans especially, are the narrative changes after Steven Moffat became show-runner. He has a different way of building story arcs, less episodic than before. Like with Sherlock we are given hints that become meaningful only several episodes later or even in the next series. And as Yitzock said, there are lots of well-known faces, not only from Sherlock but also in general. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2015 11:13 pm  #4

Using this thread for a quick question to the ones watching both: how many similarities are there?
Today i watched an Episode which twice reminded me so much of sherlock. One time the music, the other time a certain setting...
Is that often? Is that me seeing sherlock reminders everywhere?
The Shows are so different, but sometimes the style feels similar to me. Only sometimes. Cannot describe this very well...

Last edited by Whisky (August 16, 2015 11:16 pm)

"It is what it is."

August 17, 2015 7:30 pm  #5

I guess they are kind of similar in style, though obviously not in subjectmatter.  Which episode was it that reminded you of Sherlock? I don't know whether it reminds me much of Sherlock other than the style, but then again I don't remember every episode that I've seen.

Clueing for looks.

August 17, 2015 8:24 pm  #6

I think most similarities to "Sherlock" can be found in S8 with Twelve. In the very first episode Moffat lets him 'do the Sherlock' several times, if you ask me. Twelve also is the one Doctor to whom humans are mostly stupid and dull, at least that's the impression I got.
But there have also been moments in Eleven's era which reminded me of "Sherlock". If I remember correctly this even goes so far as that Moffat uses almost the exact same dialogue at times.

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 17, 2015 8:24 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 17, 2015 8:25 pm  #7

Same setting...Are you by any chance referring to Blink...? The cemetery is indeed very familiar, I wonder why.
I watch both BBC!Sherlock and Doctor Who -I've also watched a few stories of the Classic series- and obviously there will be some similarities between the two shows (especially since Steven is also the showrunner of Doctor Who. As well as being a writer.), but all in all they are very different. It's not the same type of story, the main character is different ("Sherlock Holmes is a human being aspiring to be a god while the Doctor is a god aspiring to be human" said Steven) despite having some similarities (cleverness, for one) and the adventure he's having are not the same type at all.
The Doctor is having adventures because he wants to discover the world/the universe/flee from his past/insert any possible reason.
Sherlock, on the other hand, is solving crimes because he's bored.
If anything, it's Martin Freeman who goes on adventures, not Sherlock.
One could argue, obviously, that in series 3 Sherlock embarks on an adventure to deal with emotions and other human beings, but that's really not the same.
If you find the style sometimes similar it might very well be because, as Susi said, Steven has a very distinctive writing style, the story arcs being longer than during RTD's era. For the record, he took over RTD after series 4.
I consider myself more of a Sherlockian that a Whovian now because BBC Sherlock holds more appeal to me -and I mean the show in its entirety, not only the actors ;). However, having watched both (repeatedly...is there any other way to watch a show, I wonder?) I feel like I can give a decent opinion on both.

In answer to the original question asked by cslewisandtolkien, YES, it is definitely worth it to watch Doctor Who. I couldn't agree more with Yizock, whatever you do, do not skip Nine, that Doctor is great. Sassy as hell. Hilarious.
And if you can (well, obviously you can, you need only type the title of an episode into the Youtube search bar), do watch the Classics. Be warned, though, the pace is not the same as New Who -it is so much slower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 17, 2015 8:29 pm  #8

Same setting...Are you by any chance referring to Blink...? The cemetery is indeed very familiar, I wonder why.
I watch both BBC!Sherlock and Doctor Who -I've also watched a few stories of the Classic series- and obviously there will be some similarities between the two shows (especially since Steven is also the showrunner of Doctor Who. As well as being a writer.), but all in all they are very different. It's not the same type of story, the main character is different ("Sherlock Holmes is a human being aspiring to be a god while the Doctor is a god aspiring to be human" said Steven) despite having some similarities (cleverness, for one) and the adventure he's having are not the same type at all.
The Doctor is having adventures because he wants to discover the world/the universe/flee from his past/insert any possible reason.
Sherlock, on the other hand, is solving crimes because he's bored.
If anything, it's Martin Freeman who goes on adventures, not Sherlock.
One could argue, obviously, that in series 3 Sherlock embarks on an adventure to deal with emotions and other human beings, but that's really not the same.
If you find the style sometimes similar it might very well be because, as Susi said, Steven has a very distinctive writing style, the story arcs being longer than during RTD's era. For the record, he took over RTD after series 4.
I consider myself more of a Sherlockian that a Whovian now because BBC Sherlock holds more appeal to me -and I mean the show in its entirety, not only the actors ;). However, having watched both (repeatedly...is there any other way to watch a show, I wonder?) I feel like I can give a decent opinion on both.

In answer to the original question asked by cslewisandtolkien, YES, it is definitely worth it to watch Doctor Who. I couldn't agree more with Yizock, whatever you do, do not skip Nine, that Doctor is great. Sassy as hell. Hilarious.
And if you can (well, obviously you can, you need only type the title of an episode into the Youtube search bar), do watch the Classics. Be warned, though, the pace is not the same as New Who -it is so much slower.

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 17, 2015 8:41 pm  #9

At the beginning of Sherlock, in the "staircase" scene of ASiP, Sherlock acted very much like one of Doctors, I think... after that he never repeated this.

Plus, at the very beginning of Dr. Who, the first Doctor, William Hartnell, acted very Sherlock-like and was similar to an elderly Sherlock, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 17, 2015 9:03 pm  #10

I used to watch Doctor Who when I was a kid and loved the Tom Baker episodes. I wasn't really interested in the new episodes when they started, but I've been watching them since my five year old son decided he is a fan recently, and I have to admit to becoming quite partial to the show. We started with David Tennant because those were the episodes that were being repeated on TV at the time. He used to be my son's favourite Doctor. Now he prefers Matt Smith. We have only seen a couple of Christopher Ecclestone episodes, and the one where the Doctor regenerates as Peter Capaldi. I'm tempted to go back to the start of season 1* and watch them all in order, especially now that I've seen some of the Stephen Moffat story arcs! It gives me an idea of what might be going on with Sherlock, that there is a "big picture" that we haven't even seen all of yet. Exciting

* Season 1 of the new episodes, is what I meant to say. I've tried rewatching some of the classics again, but they're terribly slow and melodramatic.

Last edited by ukaunz (August 17, 2015 9:23 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 17, 2015 9:05 pm  #11

Even if I have watched some of the Classics, I have not watched nearly enough. /vows to correct this as soon as I get back home/
However, considering how much both Steven and Mark hold Doctor Who dear, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that they have been influenced (even if only inconsciously) by William Hartnell's Doctor and that some of his Doctor has slipped into their representation of Sherlock's character.

August 18, 2015 4:10 am  #12

ukaunz wrote:

especially now that I've seen some of the Stephen Moffat story arcs! It gives me an idea of what might be going on with Sherlock, that there is a "big picture" that we haven't even seen all of yet. Exciting

I know what you mean. I'm not sure though if you can do a similar thing with a show that gives you only three new episodes every two or three years. It's difficult for 'normal' viewers to keep track (and even with Doctor Who it's sometimes difficult to keep track with Moffat's story arcs).
Nevertheless I'm definitely hoping for a "big picture".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 20, 2015 11:04 am  #13

Question: the "classics" refersto the old dr. Who, right?

Actually , I was watching the end of series 3, blink, utopia, .... hm, Blink felt very original to me... no, I didnt feel reminded by the cemetary. Still, it freaked me totally out, nobody told me how creepy this show can be... 

I have to rewatch it, but the music sounded very similar to Sherlock one point in utopia or the last episode - cant recall the name right now.
The setting, that was in the last one as well... something about the Doctor, standing there, talking to people in the room... it's this Sherlock explanation style... or maybe it's just a general style present in every Tv/ cinematic piece :D the hero explaining the work.

Thanks for your interesting answers. Will be especially excited for nine now... will hurry over to the "big" Dr. Who thread for further investigation.... ;-)

Last edited by Whisky (August 20, 2015 11:07 am)

"It is what it is."

September 5, 2015 7:14 am  #14

Yes to Sherlock. Yes To Sherlock!!!

Board footera