BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2012 9:27 am  #1

The Mentalist

I've just started watching this from the start.

I have heard that apparently he uses the rubber ball under the arm trick later on, but as I am only on Series 1, the one thing I noticed (besides his ability to use commonsense clues like Sherlock) is that he has described his 'deducing' as going to his Memory Palace.

Hmm.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 18, 2012 9:05 pm  #2

Re: The Mentalist

They really should just have called it "Derren Brown PI". It's a nice show but it is a blatant rip off of Derren's work.

I enjoyed the Red John episodes - they only keep them for special occasions though.

Enjoy, it really is quite decent.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

March 22, 2012 3:57 am  #3

I don't see it as a blatant rip off of Brown, over the decades I have seen many similar people all using the same ideas, all exposing the frauds, etc etc. That's really not a new concept.

But using these things in a drama series this way is a novel idea. Whilst being entertaining, it also cheekily mocks other shows that use these ruses as part of their theme.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 22, 2012 5:53 am  #4

Big fan of this show. Been watching from the start.

As far as ripping off another show, all I can say is you watch enough of these types of shows and everyone borrows from everyone. I've seen Murdoch Mysteries borrow an episode from Columbo.

The Mentalist used the ball under the arm trick.

In a late 90's episode Columbo makes a remark about there not being dust where there should be. IIRC Sherlock made mention about dust or lack therof as a clue of where Moriarty might have been in 221B.

It is hard to have tons of original ideas nowadays haha.

April 28, 2012 8:57 am  #5

OMG, I have been watching this show online & have caught up to the most recent.
There's some darn good stuff in that there show.... BUT

RUBY SLIPPERS has just been shown in the US; and I gotta say, it was brilliant!
And put that with the fact that I caught on early who killed the victim; but the final ending was such an amazing reveal; I loved it!!!
And on rewatching, yep I shoulda guessed it.
This show is SO much like Sherlock; the clues are all there in front of you! Great practice for deducing really.

I just cannot say enough how brilliant it was!
It did have a subject matter close to my heart in a way, maybe that has something to do with it; but man, was it GOOD?!!!

Last edited by kazza474 (April 28, 2012 8:57 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 19, 2012 8:52 am  #6

Just watched the series finale; I am speechlessly flawed.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 6:31 am  #7

I  Love simon Baker.   I  love this show,  but I haven't been watching it for the last few moinths so I need to catch up on it somehow.   But  his character--I've even forgotten the NAME  of his character!!  (I'm a baaaadd kitty)   he does MANY things like sherlock does...he  even has the couch to lie down on,  and he makes deductions  which the officers don't even think of and don't like---but the end result is clear--  he solves the cases, for the most part.  I  guess I fell in love with Simon's blond curly locks....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 22, 2012 7:16 am  #8

Patrick Jane

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 10:13 pm  #9

thank you kazza!!   He's not wearing the scarf,  like Sherlock does.....oh well.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 14, 2012 10:06 pm  #10

I like Simon Baker (he's Australian, but I'm sure you knew that, kazza) and I'm just a bit addicted to The Guardian right now. As soon as I'm done with that I'll continue with The Mentalist, because I watched the first 4 episodes.

Earth to CBS: You've got this pretty brilliant Sherlock Holmes adaptation already. Why do you need another?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 15, 2012 7:55 am  #11

Owain (Rigsby) tweeted this today:
Owain Yeoman @OYeoman
We got the first two scripts of season 5 tweeps. Looking great! Mentalist returns Sunday's 10pm sept for our biggest and best season yet!!

Yay, cannot wait!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 9, 2012 5:36 am  #12

wow  you got all that from a tweet.   I'll have to watch this show again...But you're right,  seems like Sherlock's ideas are really catching...and contagious...I  only need ONE sherlock,  but he's only on for 3  90 minute episodes per year.  what's a kitty to do?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 9, 2012 11:13 am  #13

Just making a point, the dust thing has been used in MANY novels and films over the last decades..

November 24, 2013 12:48 am  #14

Episode Red John is on tonight. Can't wait. It's not gonna be any of the people on Jane's list. It will be another character & everyone will smack their heads & go why didn't I see that it was him/her?

Last edited by saturnR (November 24, 2013 12:49 am)

Board footera