BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2015 1:39 pm  #21

Re: Called it!

Zatoichi wrote:

John will move in to Baker Street again, but there will be considerably less lingering looks, intimacy and domesticity.

why do you think so?

September 2, 2015 3:28 pm  #22

Because I have the feeling that some of the involved actors are not comfortable with fueling the Johnlock anymore.. And the chemistry between the actors seems to have changed a bit, too.. But I'll be happy if proven wrong!

September 2, 2015 3:52 pm  #23

oh I see. I don't disagree with you, but my fear is more connected to the writers rather than the actors - ultimately whether they want it or not, the actors have to do what the script and the director tells them. But I'm worried Moffat and Gatiss want to draw a line on the 'Johnlocky' side of things and will therefore tame their 'flirting' - although it has to be said, Moffat loves to play with what people want so perhaps it'll be exactly the opposite

Why do you say the chemistry between the actors has changed? They seemed alright to me in s3!

September 2, 2015 4:08 pm  #24

It gets slightly OT, but this was the impression I got from the Special-Setlock and some things Martin said in the press ("Benedict can go f*** himself" etc.)

As for Moffat i agree he won't completely sink this profitable ship.. I expect some pining looks and ambiguous sentences from Sherlock and some customized scenes like the knee-grope, just enough to make it run steady. Imo the main lead, who happens to be an international superstar and is absolutely irreplaceable for the show, has enough power to influence the way the show is written.. But who knows!

September 2, 2015 4:31 pm  #25

I get really sad when people take Martin so seriously. That was obviously a joke, and actually it makes me smile to see that these two have the kind of relationship where they can banter like this openly in public without fear of the other getting offended.
I don't understand how people don't see that.

September 2, 2015 4:33 pm  #26

Zatoichi wrote:

Imo the main lead, who happens to be an international superstar and is absolutely irreplaceable for the show, has enough power to influence the way the show is written.. But who knows!

This is another misconception. Unless the actor is officially involved in the writing, he or she can make suggestions on how he thinks he should play a scene, but ultimately he needs to follow the script and the director's directions, no matter how big the actor is.

September 2, 2015 4:59 pm  #27

Zatoichi wrote:

Because I have the feeling that some of the involved actors are not comfortable with fueling the Johnlock anymore.. And the chemistry between the actors seems to have changed a bit, too.. But I'll be happy if proven wrong!

Thank you, zatoichi! I agree with you on that one but never dared to say it here! I also hope that I'm wrong and hope for the happy Ben/Martin pics like we had them at Setlock earlier.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 2, 2015 5:20 pm  #28

I think this is not about "fueling the Johnlock" but about basic writing decisions. Knowing a bit about Steven Moffat I can say that he usually writes very long story arcs. In Doctor Who, for example, there is one character whose story he had planned seasons before it happened and he tailored other elements of the story accordingly until the final revelation. 

I never saw the relationship between Sherlock and John as fueling, cheap joking, queerbaiting or whatever you want, but as an essential part of the narration. And I really do not think that one actor would say, come on, change your plan for the show because I am not comfortable with loving a man.  

Last edited by SusiGo (September 2, 2015 5:22 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2015 6:55 pm  #29

Sorry, I didn´t mean to start any Johnlock-discussions.. I was just playing the game and handing in my predictions.. 

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 2, 2015 7:02 pm)

September 2, 2015 7:35 pm  #30

I am fine with talking about Johnlock. It is an important element of the show and IMO part of the story. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2015 8:01 pm  #31

And do you have any concrete predictions about how it will be played out in S4 then? 

September 3, 2015 9:44 am  #32

I agree with Susi, and I really want to say that I think they'll go back to the s1 and s2 set up, but I am worried they will not, and not because of writing decisions but because in s3 they seemed to have lost a bit of their original vision, what with their fascination with bloody Mary and their obsession with showing how 'great' she was with them (yeah right).

But who knows. Maybe they'll surprise me.

September 3, 2015 1:44 pm  #33

Also, another prediction I want to make: Mycroft will kill Mary himself (or have her killed).

September 3, 2015 6:24 pm  #34

Wow, I like that 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 3, 2015 8:10 pm  #35

My predictions:

Lestrade will ask either Sherlock or John's advice on asking Molly out. ( I do think he's interested but also gunshy).
Sebastian Moran will target Molly, and Molly may kill Moran, and have huge character development.
Mary will save Sherlock back and maybe die in the process, creating weirdness with John. I can't figure out what they'll do with the baby.

September 4, 2015 10:30 am  #36

My prediction:

Mary will go into labour just as Sherlock is in danger and seeks John's help (perhaps Sherlock has found out who sent out the "Did you miss me?" messages and is about to confront him/her).  John is torn as to who to be with.

I don't have any particular ideas as to what happens next or who John goes to, although I have a horrible inkling that if the above does happen, John goes to protect Sherlock, and Mary and the baby die in childbirth.

Sometimes I hate myself ...

September 4, 2015 11:13 am  #37

Ariane, I feel ya but I don't think the chances of death in childbirth are high at all in the UK nowadays so how realistic would it be for that to happen to a healthy woman who had no problems in pregnancy like Mary?

September 4, 2015 12:05 pm  #38

Whoa, you just created the one scenario that would actually make me hate John and Sherlock for not supporting Mary, even if she was the next big villain..^^ didn't think this was possible!

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 4, 2015 12:10 pm)

September 4, 2015 12:15 pm  #39

Ariane DeVere wrote:

Mary will go into labour just as Sherlock is in danger and seeks John's help (perhaps Sherlock has found out who sent out the "Did you miss me?" messages and is about to confront him/her).  John is torn as to who to be with.

I believe that John in such circumstances would remain with Mary - it´s his belief that Sherlock always has a plan for everything and that  he is a big guy, so he would only join him after birth of his child.

Plus, I really doubt Sherlock would bother John with his pleas for help if he knew that Mary just went into labour - even if his life was in direct danger. he usually faces such things alone.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 4, 2015 12:29 pm  #40

Dorothy83 wrote:

Also, another prediction I want to make: Mycroft will kill Mary himself (or have her killed).

Weird, I had the very same thought yesterday.

Still, nowadays I predict:

John´s daughter will be born all right, but Mary will be arrested immediatelly after, because she didn´t gave up her old job and bumped off some politicians right under John´s nose.

John would of course blame Sherlock for all this and would try to hit him. Sherlock would catch his hand, force it behind John´s back and then he would bitterly say to John that he lied about "surgery", because he wanted to give John a chance to leave Mary from his own will, not being influenced by Sherlock´s injury, only influenced by her awful job and her horrid past.... but John chose to stay with Mary, ignoring all that. John would be ashamed, having nothing to say in his defence.

Shortly after that Sherlock gets into danger, being seized by Moriarty´s organisation again and John would desperately try to save him, but he would be injured which would lead into a nice "Three Garridebs" moment.

Through all this, Harry, John´s sister, would care for John´s child.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera