BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2012 4:48 pm  #181

Re: Things we will never know but are curious about

@Mattlocked and Tobeornot
Ah ok thanks guys! i get some idea now..just that they've never shown John's bedroom ever and that got me wondering i guess....

Anyways, here's another one .. Why do u think Sherlock texted "Happy New year" to Irene Adler? Just bcoz he 'really' felt like/wanted to/missed her or did he have any ulterior motive behind that motive?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

August 3, 2012 4:59 pm  #182

In my romantic opinion it was a special sign.
He never answered her texts before (although there it was already mentioned by John that this could mean something special because he usually would always text back....), but after she has been "dead" it seems to me as if he noticed that he "feels" (?) something for her / or that there is something special about her - and that's why he finally texted her, too....
Now lets listen to the opions of our more rational members. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 3, 2012 5:03 pm  #183

monitaa wrote:

Anyways, here's another one .. Why do u think Sherlock texted "Happy New year" to Irene Adler? Just bcoz he 'really' felt like/wanted to/missed her or did he have any ulterior motive behind that motive?

"Happy New Year" was Sherlock's only reply to Irene's text messages.
It's between: "I'm not dead. Let's have dinner" and "Goodbye Mr Holmes"
To me, it sounds quite non-binding. But could also mean "I've been thinking of you." Who knows what's going on in Sherlock's funny old head?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 3, 2012 7:02 pm  #184

Maybe it was Sherlock acknowledging Irene's cleverness in faking her death, too. 

August 3, 2012 9:42 pm  #185

monitaa, here is another tiny bit to help you figure out the living situation of Mrs Hudson and the boys:

The level of nerd-detail is high: there are 17 steps up from the hall to the front room, as specified in the books. The Christmas cards in the hallway have all been filled out inside, to the landlady, Mrs Hudson. On the set, however, there are no actual quarters for Mrs Hudson.

“She doesn’t have a room,  Gatiss explains. “She just… stands at the end of this corridor, and hibernates until the front door bell rings.

No own room for poor Mrs. Hudson.... 

August 4, 2012 6:01 am  #186

@Mattlocked.. lolzzzz poor mrs. hudson
@Arya..Thanks..yes that can be true as well!

Here's another one guys...
Is it always cold in London? Sherlock always wears that overcoat and scarf .. so wondering..Or he just doesn't likes solving cases in summers? I wud like to see Sherlock in T-shirt once!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

August 4, 2012 6:44 am  #187

Mattlocked wrote:

Oh, but she DOES have a kitchen (a fridge at least with some kind of kitchen around it) and BINS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 5, 2012 3:29 am  #188

Nosy wrote:

sherlockskitty wrote:

Perhaps he did,  but it didn't work out.   I  seem to recall he said something of the sort in one of the canon stories.

In the canon, he wanted to marry some daughter of his teacher but she dies before wedding.
In the series we perhaps will find out more about - I hope....

What? In the Sherlock Holmes stories? Not that I've ever read. Watson did get married, and his wife Mary died (happened during the time period Holmes was "dead", and something I am anticipating for Season 3). But it was never indicated that Sherlock was or was wanting to marry anyone. He did become engaged, but only while in disguise and to get information (poor girl!). Even Watson said that that might be going a bit too far. That Watson was a bit of a Ladies man is canon. Sherlock not being "involved" with women is also canon. Moffit/Gadiss has indicated differently in this series, mostly on the basis of the differences in social mores between the Victorian age and now, and they do have a point. BUT even with that caveat, only Irene could rightly hold title to being "THE woman".

Last edited by HoosierPhD (August 5, 2012 3:31 am)

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

August 5, 2012 3:35 am  #189

tobeornot221b wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Oh, but she DOES have a kitchen (a fridge at least with some kind of kitchen around it) and BINS!

Yes, we do see her kitchen! And we see Sherlock remove something from her fridge... 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 5, 2012 3:53 am  #190

I would like to know more about Mycroft and Sherlocks early childhood together and what are their issues with each other?  NIcking Smurfs?
Mycroft isn't mentioned too many times in the books (other than being rather heavy and far more intelligent than Sherlock) so the writers are trying to fill in between the lines. So far, Mycroft indicates a great deal of concern for his brother.  Sherlock indicates a distant respect ("..the most dangerous man...") but also sarcasm (..here to see the Queen? Apparently yes [in reference to Mycroft]).
Also, the interaction in SiB: Mycroft: "I'll be mother."  Sherlock: "And there is a whole childhood in a nutshell ."  I'd love to know the history behind that remark!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

August 5, 2012 5:58 am  #191

He nicks a mince pie from her fridge.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 5, 2012 6:05 am  #192

HoosierPhD wrote:

I would like to know more about Mycroft and Sherlocks early childhood together and what are their issues with each other?  NIcking Smurfs?
Mycroft isn't mentioned too many times in the books (other than being rather heavy and far more intelligent than Sherlock) so the writers are trying to fill in between the lines. So far, Mycroft indicates a great deal of concern for his brother.  Sherlock indicates a distant respect ("..the most dangerous man...") but also sarcasm (..here to see the Queen? Apparently yes [in reference to Mycroft]).
Also, the interaction in SiB: Mycroft: "I'll be mother."  Sherlock: "And there is a whole childhood in a nutshell ."  I'd love to know the history behind that remark!

I would also like to see more of their early family histroy...

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?

August 5, 2012 6:07 am  #193

Davina wrote:

He nicks a mince pie from her fridge.

I love that scene! 

Why would I do that?

August 5, 2012 9:00 am  #194

Then I understood something wrong. Or Gatiss was lying. I too remember her kitchen, now that you're talking about.   
And of course I remember the BINS   

monitaa wrote:

Is it always cold in London? Sherlock always wears that overcoat and scarf .. so wondering..Or he just doesn't likes solving cases in summers? I wud like to see Sherlock in T-shirt once!!

You will never see Sherlock in a shirt outside, because it has no collar to turn up.
He also pretends once in Baskerville it is "cold" (to John), just so he can turn up his collar and look cool........... 

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 5, 2012 9:01 am)

August 5, 2012 10:49 am  #195

HoosierPhD wrote:

What? In the Sherlock Holmes stories? Not that I've ever read. Watson did get married, and his wife Mary died (happened during the time period Holmes was "dead", and something I am anticipating for Season 3). But it was never indicated that Sherlock was or was wanting to marry anyone. He did become engaged, but only while in disguise and to get information (poor girl!). ................

Thanks for your reply; I have been re-reading everything trying to work out what story I had missed for all these years!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 6, 2012 7:55 am  #196

I always wonder what's all the texting Anthea did in "Pink" about! Is it work-related or private? To whom is she texting?
She's a mysterious character.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 6, 2012 7:59 am  #197

She's playing Angry Birds!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 7, 2012 6:21 pm  #198

Do you think that Mycroft and Sherlock ever had a good or normal relationship? When they were young for example.

By the way, I've just found these drawings. I really envy people who are able to draw.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=9&q=mycroft+sherlock&offset=48#/d4tmqp1

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 7, 2012 7:06 pm  #199

It makes me think of the Buckingham Palace scene when Mycroft says "I'll be mother" when offering tea and Sherlock retorts "And there you have a whole childhood in a nutshell." It's one of the few hints to their earlier relationship. I think it has been discussed elsewhere in connection with the other things we learn about their complicated relationship. It may be that Mycroft has felt responsible for his younger brother due to various reasons and Sherlock resented his attitude.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 7, 2012 11:08 pm  #200

Mattlocked wrote:

Then I understood something wrong. Or Gatiss was lying. I too remember her kitchen, now that you're talking about.   
And of course I remember the BINS   

monitaa wrote:

You will never see Sherlock in a shirt outside, because it has no collar to turn up.
He also pretends once in Baskerville it is "cold" (to John), just so he can turn up his collar and look cool........... 

Haha yes. Sometimes it gets really damn hot in London...walking round in a heavy coat and scarf just isn't practical. He does hang out in just his shirt and jacket sometimes - ie. pool scene he turns up in just his jacket. He could have left his coat in the pool changing rooms I suppose but more likely he just came out without it.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera