BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2012 9:57 pm  #441

Re: You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when...

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Davina wrote:

You lick the inside of sweet wrappers to see if they have been poisoned.

LOL

You start keeping "experiments" in your fridge

Uh, oh... you mean this isn't normal?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

July 31, 2012 3:02 am  #442

HoosierPhD wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Davina wrote:

You lick the inside of sweet wrappers to see if they have been poisoned.

LOL

They're both perfeclty normal, but licking your experiments is not.

July 31, 2012 8:06 am  #443

Definitely NOT to be recommended! That way lies...death!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 8:25 am  #444

veecee wrote:

HoosierPhD wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

LOL

They're both perfeclty normal, but licking your experiments is not.

Davina said:  <<<Definitely NOT to be recommended! That way lies...death!>>>

Not necessarily.  *g*  It depends on the exact nature of your "experiments".

July 31, 2012 10:17 am  #445

Yes but a bit of a risk, nevertheless. There's a story somewhere I think maybe in one of the Brother Cadfael stories ( but I could be totally wrong) about someone who accidentally poisons themselves by licking the tip of their pen. I digress! Feel another bit os research coming on! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 10:32 am  #446

When you start weeping upon hearing Stayin' Alive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 31, 2012 4:03 pm  #447

When you write "I believe in Sherlock" on a big rock when walking around a beautiful lake in Austria. Photo proof to follow when I'm back home.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2012 4:13 pm  #448

AreYouTryingToDeduceMe wrote:

When you start weeping upon hearing Stayin' Alive

Deduce Me, is that you in your icon? Pretty! But I had to comment on the scarf, worn and tied a la Sherlock.  heh

August 2, 2012 12:27 am  #449

You know you're obsessed with SHERLOCK when you google "Boffin" and then go around proudly telling your colleagues what it means... (go ahead Americans - google it! Doesn't mean what you think it means.).

This is the height of scientific Sherlock Holmes geekdome.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

August 2, 2012 12:44 am  #450

HoosierPhD wrote:

You know you're obsessed with SHERLOCK when you google "Boffin" and then go around proudly telling your colleagues what it means... (go ahead Americans - google it! Doesn't mean what you think it means.).  This is the height of scientific Sherlock Holmes geekdome.

Why would Americans think the word means anything except what Wiki says **a scientist, engineer, or other person engaged in technical or scientific research**?

Sherlock would rather be known as a detective, not a boffin, I guess. I think he thinks that it's important for others to know that his work has practical real-world importance and relevance. He's no head-in-the-clouds researcher or scientist.

I'm not 100% sure I ever heard the word boffin before TRF. It's not used in America that I know of. I had to look it up, too.

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 2, 2012 12:45 am)

August 2, 2012 2:55 am  #451

Not sure if you're all serious. There is the verb, to b*ff. So if you are doing it, you're b*ffin'.Not something you'd say in front of your grandmother, unless, well...never mind.

August 2, 2012 3:02 am  #452

veecee wrote:

Not sure if you're all serious. There is the verb, to b*ff. So if you are doing it, you're b*ffin'.Not something you'd say in front of your grandmother, unless, well...never mind.

Oh, boffing! Yeah. I would consider that a Britism, a synonym for (shall we say) sexual activity; is it actually American?

But I knew it was boffin, Boffin Sherlock Holmes, because it was written out on the newspaper headline when he threw the thing down on the coffee table in front of John. Either that or I was reading the scene's subtitles at the time. So I never went to boffing/boffin' in my mind.

August 2, 2012 5:57 am  #453

Boffin also shortened to boff is used widely here in the UK. Kids also use it for other kids at school, especially boys, who are seen as overly studious ( which I've always found to be quite sad). It is closely allied to the idea of a geek.

August 2, 2012 1:07 pm  #454

As I said, google the term. It doesn't mean what you think it means (term unknown to Americans). I've confirmed the term with a British friend of mine.

August 5, 2012 2:39 am  #455

Yep. That's correct. I checked with a British fellow even though as we all know, Wiki is NEVER wrong. . He says that it use to mean 'scientist' but now maybe a slight slur on 'scientist'.

Hum. I don't know a lot of 'head-in-the-clouds' scientists. As a whole they've become far far more practical with real world relevance and applications. Unless you like not being funded.... But he SH does appreciate scientific techniques he can apply to answer his 'questions'. Notice he asks Molly for the results of an analysis (TRF). I'm sure he's having her use some of the state-of-the-art analytical equipment  (LC/MS perhaps). After all, you really can't determine the presence of glycerol molecule structure using a microscope.

August 5, 2012 1:47 pm  #456

You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when

... suddenly, in August, you find a hidden chocolate Easter bunny between the books you used to read in pre-Sherlock times.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 5, 2012 2:18 pm  #457

lol  Well, that IS a sign.....

You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when

.... after months you think it could be a nice idea to go back to a former hobby of yours and once you started it will not work as expected and you get really frustrated and mad and you decide to throw everything away and go back to the Sherlock-forum as quickly as possible.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 6, 2012 7:18 pm  #458

Just curious: what hobby?

Or, you take one of your hobbies on a Sherlockian turn (will post photo soon).

August 6, 2012 7:34 pm  #459

building sculptures from concrete

and from clay. But that one I will keep 
(build a Sherlock? no........)

You know when you're obsessed with Sherlock when...
..... you notice it's still beginning of month but you don't have any money left. All spent for........??? 

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 6, 2012 7:36 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 6, 2012 7:36 pm  #460

Do you form the concrete or sculpt blocks. Or put broken or cut pieces together? It sounds like it takes a lot of room -- and strength.
Probably should move this conversation to a different thread.

Board footera