BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2015 8:26 pm  #1721

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I started out not being terribly exited for Mary (maybe because I came later to the fandom, so I was never terribly excited about seeing Martin and Amanda acting opposite each other, I only figured out the connection between them later). I still remain quite neutral about her. I was pleased that she seemed to fit in so well with the boys, not disrupting the chemistry between them too much, but rather adding to it and actively pushing them to spend time together. I did not like the developments of HLV, not because it awoke anger in me, but because I found that assassin storyline completely unnecessary. I found that Mary was a fitting character for the show before that, I did not feel she needed that background to become “more interesting”. Now I am a bit torn. On the one side I would wish for Mary to become more of a supporting character al la Mrs Hudson or Molly. Someone who would support the boys from the side-lines and every now and then give us a great moment. But with her background that would now seem OOC, also (bad writing aside) there should be a reason to include her assassin past, which likely means that Mary will spent some more time in the foreground. So part of me wants to go back to the core of the show, which are Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, but another part of me wants the Moftiss to be better writers than that (and I believe they belong to the best TV writers of the moment). So I honestly cannot say what I would wish for concerning Mary in the next season.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 29, 2015 8:30 pm  #1722

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

I agree with Vhanja here. It is all right to respectfully discuss an opposing view, to give counter arguments and ask questions, but calling your discussion partner “fanatical” or suffering from “wishful thinking” or an unexplainable “need”, while calling oneself “insightful” is hardly helping the general atmosphere. So I ask you all to keep the tone of discussion respectful towards everyone, even if you don’t agree with them.

Again, I am apologizing, if I caused ruffled feathers or hurt feelings. Mea culpa. :-(

No harm done here 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 29, 2015 8:58 pm  #1723

Lola Red wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

I agree with Vhanja here. It is all right to respectfully discuss an opposing view, to give counter arguments and ask questions, but calling your discussion partner “fanatical” or suffering from “wishful thinking” or an unexplainable “need”, while calling oneself “insightful” is hardly helping the general atmosphere. So I ask you all to keep the tone of discussion respectful towards everyone, even if you don’t agree with them.

Again, I am apologizing, if I caused ruffled feathers or hurt feelings. Mea culpa. :-(

No harm done here 

Oh, good. I can be a bit passionate at times.

August 29, 2015 9:07 pm  #1724

Harriet wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Just to get you right, did you think she was bad from TEH or perhaps TSoT on? Or from the first all in all impression of S3?

In my case, HLV. From the point of the shooting. 

Oh, sorry, I was asking Liberty, because she said she went from bad to neutral.

Bear in mind that I came to the series late, so I already knew that she was going to shoot Sherlock.  I was suspicious of her from the beginning.   

August 29, 2015 9:08 pm  #1725

Swanpride wrote:

And then they twist came and I liked her even more. Because beforehand Mary was nice, but also a little bit boring (which was more than I expected). But allowing her to be as complicated as the main characters of the show was, in my eyes, a clever move.

I agree with the last part. But when I watched again TEH and TSoT some things fell into place for me and convinced me that there were hints to her true nature in these episodes as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2015 9:43 pm  #1726

Swanpride wrote:

I started out worried. Because Mary is a character which is so easy to get wrong. And then I saw The Empty Hearse and she was in a lot of ways the best part of the episode. I just fell in love with the easy banter between her and John. Those two just felt like they belonged together, and I was really pleased that they didn't portray her as a barrier between John and Sherlock.

And then they twist came and I liked her even more. Because beforehand Mary was nice, but also a little bit boring (which was more than I expected). But allowing her to be as complicated as the main characters of the show was, in my eyes, a clever move.

So what would you like to see for her character in the coming seasons?

August 29, 2015 9:44 pm  #1727

With respect I disagree and defend my right to use the word fanatical and also others rights to be free to think and say whatever they like..give us controversy and entertainment and fun and wit and satire.. I encourage all  to be creative and interesting and amusing and please...please!..save us from nice and dull and a deadly bland...what kind of fascist hell would that be!

August 29, 2015 9:49 pm  #1728

Mod's note: Lil, I am for passion and lively discussion anytime but please let us not terms like fascist in this context. Seems a bit over the top to me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2015 9:45 am  #1729

lil wrote:

With respect I disagree and defend my right to use the word fanatical and also others rights to be free to think and say whatever they like..give us controversy and entertainment and fun and wit and satire.. I encourage all to be creative and interesting and amusing and please...please!..save us from nice and dull and a deadly bland...what kind of fascist hell would that be!

lil, you are of cause free to express your thoughts and opinions, but to willingly hurt other peoples feeling for no other reason than having an opinion different than your own is far from “controversy and entertainment and fun and wit and satire” or “creative and interesting and amusing”. Having respect for other people and their feelings is in no way “nice and dull and deadly bland” and could not possibly be further away from a “fascist hell”.

August 30, 2015 11:03 am  #1730

Lola, I wonder what we are supposed to write here. We are not to mention the name of the actress who said something important about her character, and you also apparently didn't like me to explain why I think that my opinion is indeed not wishful thinking after it was alleged again - and you don't want us to use certain words, no matter what the context was. (The last refers to your #1819, and only to it, not to any other note or comment following that.)

Well, for me I will keep saying here what I think is important from time to time.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2015 11:33 am  #1731

Harriet, apparently I have to defend or explain myself for asking people to be respectful and polite to each other and to not extend their dislike of a character to the actress who plays it. This is something I find difficult to understand, but I will attempt to clear things up. As I wrote in my opening post for this thread, this is a place for discussion about the character of Mary Morstan, but I will not have any negativity towards Amanda and I asked people to be polite to each other even when opinions differ. Until now, by far most of the people seemed to accept those rules and had the most diverse discussions about the character. If someone unintentionally crossed a line, things where usually sorted out quickly and no lasting harm was done. But now some seem to find it unacceptable to not be able to call a fellow forum member “fanatic” or suffering from “wishful thinking” for having an opinion different from their own.

If you find it important to ridicule, belittle or personally offend other users (or Amanda) then I politely ask you to do that elsewhere, not in this thread. If you want to state your opinion about the character of Mary Mostan and have discussions about it in a respectful manner you are more than welcome to do so here.

Of cause I am nether a Mod nor an Admin, so I can only voice requests, if you follow those is entirely up to you.

August 30, 2015 11:44 am  #1732

Lola, I cannot remember seeing that anyone has written anything negative or offending about Amanda in this context. And everyone should have the right to mention that it was her tweet. I really do not see why this statement should be treated as if it had happened in a vacuum. She chose to tweet this in a public medium so we should be free to discuss it. 

And please remember that this forum is moderated. I have commented upon the "fascist" remark because IMO it went to far. If people had insulted Amanda, I would have intervened as I have done in other cases before. 

August 30, 2015 11:51 am  #1733

As I said when we discussed the tweet in the first place, I did not see anything out of line concerning Amanda; I was just as a precaution asking people to leave her out of a discussion that was getting heated again as far as possible.

August 30, 2015 11:55 am  #1734

I think we all are aware that this thread is not the place to discuss the private person Amanda Abbington nor the forum in general is the place to spread negativity against real life persons. You can be a fan of them or you simply are not.
But @Lola, just a little aside and then I will leave it at that because of the above mentioned reasons: You are aware that it is actually AA herself who keeps "mixing" things from real life and the show? I remember a tweet where she had a minor row ( in the end it showed that it wasn't even a troll after all and they reconciled) saying something about being married to Martin in real life and the show.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 30, 2015 11:59 am  #1735

Wow, Lola, that were quite a lot of insinuations in one post.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2015 12:05 pm  #1736

mrshouse wrote:

But @Lola, just a little aside and then I will leave it at that because of the above mentioned reasons: You are aware that it is actually AA herself who keeps "mixing" things from real life and the show? I remember a tweet where she had a minor row ( in the end it showed that it wasn't even a troll after all and they reconciled) saying something about being married to Martin in real life and the show.

Amanda’s "mixing actions" on twitter for me are quite unrelated to the character she plays. If she raises a point that might be interesting (e.g. Is Mary a psychopath?), then I am happy to discuss the point in question, but I will not discuss her person in the process, because a proper, multi-sided discussion is bound to raise negative points and that mixed with the passion surrounding the character she plays on Sherlock I find a very dangerous mix that can quickly get unfair. Can you see where I’m coming from?

August 30, 2015 12:07 pm  #1737

Absolutely! I'm also not keen to discuss her, it is just my impression that she sometimes seems to fuel things herself...Anyway, that should be it for me...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 30, 2015 12:23 pm  #1738

Harriet wrote:

Wow, Lola, that were quite a lot of insinuations in one post.

I’d rather not play a guessing game when it comes to written communication, which is so easily misunderstood. If you could be more specific about the things you feel I insinuated (I had hoped to be quite clear in my former post) I could tell you if I indeed meant them the way you interpret them. If you feel this is not the place for it we can also do that via pm, if you feel this should stay public I am fine with that, too.

August 30, 2015 1:25 pm  #1739

We seem to have drifted far afield here.  I would like to respectfully ask that everone step back, take a breath and resume discusion of the show and not each other.  I will strip to my knickers and start throwing glltter if I have to!

TOPIC!   What the hell is up with Mary?   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 31, 2015 5:52 am  #1740

tonnaree wrote:

We seem to have drifted far afield here.  I would like to respectfully ask that everone step back, take a breath and resume discusion of the show and not each other.  I will strip to my knickers and start throwing glltter if I have to!

TOPIC!   What the hell is up with Mary?   

GLITTER!!!!!!!

Errr. 

Well, that's a darned good question. What *is* her agenda. 

Board footera