BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2015 10:40 am  #1701

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Vhanja wrote:

Which goes both ways. Some have the need to see the character as inherently bad, no matter what. 

But, and I wonder if I will repeat again, people of this board who see Mary as bad started as seeing her good or neutral. There was no intention whatsoever of judging her in an unfair way right from the beginning. So it's not what you call a "need" here, "no matter what", it's an insight.

Last edited by Harriet (August 29, 2015 10:49 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 29, 2015 4:11 pm  #1702

Harriet wrote:

But, and I wonder if I will repeat again, people of this board who see Mary as bad started as seeing her good or neutral. There was no intention whatsoever of judging her in an unfair way right from the beginning. So it's not what you call a "need" here, "no matter what", it's an insight.

Then it's just as unfair to state that someone has "a need" to see her as good, isn't it? Why can't that be an insight too?

Last edited by Vhanja (August 29, 2015 4:11 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 29, 2015 5:21 pm  #1703

I at least don't know any people here who saw Mary as bad from the start and then turned to seeing her as good. "Both sides" doesn't work here, imho.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 29, 2015 5:33 pm  #1704

I honestly started out as neutral about Mary.  Wanted to wait and see where she went, 

And, I don't want her to be bad now because I hate the character.  I think it would be much more interesting for Mary to turn out to be a true villian and I would love for the story to go there.

Last edited by tonnaree (August 29, 2015 5:35 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 29, 2015 5:45 pm  #1705

I liked Mary quite a bit ... and then she shot Sherlock.

And then, I kept waiting and waiting for her to -well, redeem herself in some meaningful way. What we got instead was her threatening Sherlock in the hospital, stalking him to Leinster Gardens and threatening to kill him again,  not even apologizing to John, much less Sherlock, and actually having the nerve to show up at Sherlock's family home, where they were celebrating that Sherlock was finally out of hospital--with mom still angry about that "bullet in her boy"...and then Sherlock throws his life away, by killing Magnusson, and Mary just acts entitled.

So, I liked her until I was given a reason to absolutely NOT like her at all.

August 29, 2015 5:51 pm  #1706

I don't see that really...look back at the thereads...it's all still there..there was a lot of enthusiam and excitement when we learnt Mary would be in 03 and AA would play her.
When TEH aired more Mary threads started , @most people loved her , but the -something about Mary -thread appeared and suspicions were aired , which grew during TSOT and obviously proved true in HLV.
Thats when dislike of Mary started..in a perfectly normal way..Mary was a professional assasin..had lied to and decieved John..and shot Sherlock..no one needs a 'need' to be appalled by that.
Whats wierd is the fanatical defence of Mary and crapola and inventive excuses to turn a highly trained liar and killer back into a fluffy bunny.
I think a lot of it ( irrational need to defend AA and Mary ) sprang from early sensationalised media rubbish about AA getting death threats from crazy fans..nonsense I found very hard to believe anyone ever took seriously.

August 29, 2015 5:52 pm  #1707

Yes to all that.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2015 6:09 pm  #1708

lil wrote:

Whats wierd is the fanatical defence of Mary and crapola and inventive excuses to turn a highly trained liar and killer back into a fluffy bunny.
I think a lot of it ( irrational need to defend AA and Mary ) sprang from early sensationalised media rubbish about AA getting death threats from crazy fans..nonsense I found very hard to believe anyone ever took seriously.

This is what I was trying (badly!) to articulate, earlier... insight implies looking at the character and noticing something already there-- that might have gone unnoticed before. It's not brainstroming ideas to make the character into what we want that character to be, when all evidence points to the contrary. 

Wishful thnking might have been a better way to put it. 

A "Need", as I called it-- what I actually meant was this: it's a sort of a willful determination to see only what fits our own idea of an acceptable narrative. It gets more interesting when an opposing view feels like an attack on us. But, it happens... 

August 29, 2015 6:13 pm  #1709

Well, perhaps, we WILL find someone who started seeing Mary as bad and got convinced she is good?
So that things are - balanced?

After all, it's not the first time we have this discussion, and I can't remember someone.

August 29, 2015 6:29 pm  #1710

Harriet wrote:

Well, perhaps, we WILL find someone who started seeing Mary as bad and got convinced she is good?
So that things are - balanced?

After all, it's not the first time we have this discussion, and I can't remember someone.

I *do* know people who didn't want Mary in the picture, because it disrupted the John and Sherlock dynamic. Not all of these folks were Johnlockers, either. 

What I'm actually more interested in-- and I ask this with absolutley no guile, no judgment-- what do Mary supporters want to see for her character in coming seasons? (And, no-- I don't think she's dying off in s4.) But, I'd like to know, what do people who want to see Mary continue in the show hope to see? Housewife? Stay-at-home Mom? Part of a crime solving trio? 

August 29, 2015 6:38 pm  #1711

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

This is what I was trying (badly!) to articulate, earlier... insight implies looking at the character and noticing something already there-- that might have gone unnoticed before. It's not brainstroming ideas to make the character into what we want that character to be, when all evidence points to the contrary. 

Wishful thinking might have been a better way to put it. 

A "Need", as I called it-- what I actually meant was this: it's a sort of a willful determination to see only what fits our own idea of an acceptable narrative. It gets more interesting when an opposing view feels like an attack on us. But, it happens... 

So agree with you here.

August 29, 2015 6:55 pm  #1712

I'm not a Mary supporter, but I am somebody who initially thought she was bad and now think she may be more neutral (for now, anyway).  Part of reason for that is that I think they've already done the twist in the tale story of Mary turning out to be an assassin and doing something terrible, AND I don't think they're going to go over the shooting again (I could be wrong, of course).  I feel like accepting Sherlock's explanation, however farfetched (it's not the only far-fetched thing in the show), and then moving on.  I would like to see Mary as a villain, but not just as an assassin - we've already seen that.  If she's going to be evil, I'd like her to be an arch-villain rather than Moriarty's pawn. 

I think I would also be happy for it to go the other way and for Mary to be a heroine.  I have a feeling she needs to save Sherlock (or maybe John) in order to balance things out - at the moment, she is hugely, hugely indebted to him, and relying deeply on his and John's forgiveness, and has not yet  had a chance of atonement or redemption.   And then she could die

I would not like to see the crime-solving trio, and although it kind of makes sense (Mary has skills as an intelligence agent which might be useful, and possibly inside knowledge and contacts), I don't think the writers would be daft enough to go down that route - it has always been about Sherlock and John, and I think it will continue to be.   I don't think they can create a character like Mary and make her a housewife either, so just having her in the background wouldn't work well for me.  I think they have to "do" something with her.   I think it would work best if she's part of the storyline, part of a case.  She has already been a client (as in the original story), so the door is open for her to be a villain or a victim, or perhaps a heroine.

Last edited by Liberty (August 29, 2015 6:58 pm)

August 29, 2015 7:10 pm  #1713

Just to get you right, did you think she was bad from TEH or perhaps TSoT on? Or from the first all in all impression of S3?

August 29, 2015 7:42 pm  #1714

I just think it would be more constructive to debate this without using words as "a need to see her as good" or "fanatical defence" towards those who have a different opinion on Mary.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 29, 2015 8:05 pm  #1715

Vhanja wrote:

I just think it would be more constructive to debate this without using words as "a need to see her as good" or "fanatical defence" towards those who have a different opinion on Mary.

Well, then-- why not talk about what you'd like to see with her character in coming seasons? 

By the way, I apologize, if my comments upset you. I tried to explain what I meant-- but apparently, not very well. :-(

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 29, 2015 8:06 pm)

August 29, 2015 8:05 pm  #1716

Harriet wrote:

Just to get you right, did you think she was bad from TEH or perhaps TSoT on? Or from the first all in all impression of S3?

In my case, HLV. From the point of the shooting. 

August 29, 2015 8:06 pm  #1717

I agree with Vhanja here. It is all right to respectfully discuss an opposing view, to give counter arguments and ask questions, but calling your discussion partner “fanatical” or suffering from “wishful thinking” or an unexplainable “need”, while calling oneself “insightful” is hardly helping the general atmosphere. So I ask you all to keep the tone of discussion respectful towards everyone, even if you don’t agree with them.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 29, 2015 8:10 pm  #1718

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Well, then-- why not talk about what you'd like to see with her character in coming seasons? 

I would like to see her out of the picture as soon as possible, and preferably in a way that would hurt John the less. So I imagine that if she turned out to be evil/bad/traitor of some kind, that would be better than her suffering a heroic death. Because the first part would make John angry, and the second would crush his heart (again). I think anger is easier to deal with than tragic loss, perhaps in particular for a character like John (although it will be painful either way).

Team Hudders!

August 29, 2015 8:12 pm  #1719

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Harriet wrote:

In my case, HLV. From the point of the shooting. 

Oh, sorry, I was asking Liberty, because she said she went from bad to neutral.

August 29, 2015 8:12 pm  #1720

Lola Red wrote:

I agree with Vhanja here. It is all right to respectfully discuss an opposing view, to give counter arguments and ask questions, but calling your discussion partner “fanatical” or suffering from “wishful thinking” or an unexplainable “need”, while calling oneself “insightful” is hardly helping the general atmosphere. So I ask you all to keep the tone of discussion respectful towards everyone, even if you don’t agree with them.

Again, I am apologizing, if I caused ruffled feathers or hurt feelings. Mea culpa. :-(

Board footera