BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2015 6:32 pm  #21

Re: How are we all feeling about the show at the moment?

To be honest I don't understand John being blamed for his nasty behaviour towards Sherlock. What kind of nasty behaviour??? John thought his best friend was DEAD and suddenly he reappears and behaves as if everything's alright with this. Ok, it's Sherlock, he obviously had no idea what this faked suicide did to John, but nevertheless ... I think John has got all the right in the world to NOT forget that. Sure, he forgives Sherlock, finally, but that doesn't mean he forgets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 23, 2015 6:44 pm  #22

I think people have less problems with John's behaviour in TEH than in HLV. The 221B scene where he does not realise that Sherlock's needs medical help, forgiving Mary allegedly without having read the flash drive, an apparent lack of feeling in the tarmac scene. (This does not necessarily reflect my opinions.)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 23, 2015 8:39 pm  #23

kornmuhme wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Sherlock meanwhile, returning from the mission that left him scarred and probably with a case of PTSD

Any evidence for that???

When Sherlock was tortured in Serbian dungeon, his whole back was wet with blood after he was viciously beaten up. I can´t believe this didn´t leave any scars.

Some of Sherlock´s nervous and distracted behaviour (hearing voices in TEH, the glasses falling from his hands and his mind palace visions being overhelming so much so that he has to stop them with self-administered slaps in TSOT etc.) is in such contrast with his former cool and controlled conduct that it could possibly be a result of PTSB. But it´s just my theory - therefore I use the world "probably" in my original post.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 23, 2015 8:48 pm  #24

kornmuhme wrote:

To be honest I don't understand John being blamed for his nasty behaviour towards Sherlock. What kind of nasty behaviour??? John thought his best friend was DEAD and suddenly he reappears and behaves as if everything's alright with this. Ok, it's Sherlock, he obviously had no idea what this faked suicide did to John, but nevertheless ... I think John has got all the right in the world to NOT forget that. Sure, he forgives Sherlock, finally, but that doesn't mean he forgets.

I didn´t say "John´s nasty behaviour", I specified "John´s weird behaviour in HLV". Because it´s in HLV that John, formerly a very principled man who was disturbed by Sherlock´s supposed coldness towards the fate of the victims (like people in TGG of Mrs, Hudson in TRF) and righteously angry with murderers (just read his blogpost about Study in Pink, what he writes about the cabbie), randomly forgiven a person who most likely murdered a bunch of people for money and fatally wounded his best friend and waved her deeds off as if they were not significant. It´s beyond my comprehension how could he do that and why. 

P. S. I also want to point out that John´s weird behaviour came right after TSOT in which we saw Sherlock being very self-sacrificing for his sake. In the eyes of some viewers this sharp imballance could leave an impression, that John doesn´t care much about Sherlock. I doubt this reaction would be so strong if HLV came right after TEH.

Last edited by nakahara (August 23, 2015 9:10 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 24, 2015 12:08 am  #25

I have also seen people point out that Sherlock's reaction to John slamming the table in the restaurant after Sherlock reveals he's alive could be evidence of some kind of post-traumatic stress.  I don't know how well that stands up since you could also argue that he reacted that way because he just wasn't expecting the angry reaction from John at all, but I suppose that that's not the only factor that one could consider.

Clueing for looks.

August 24, 2015 11:52 am  #26

TeaCub wrote:

Hi everyone

So - bit of a silly question for you: what are our current thoughts on Sherlock as a whole? 
x

I guess I´ve moved on.. I can´t quite explain what I did though, it just sort of happened. Everything I saw and heard after the release of the S3 commentary felt less than exciting. I´m not particularly interested in the special, but maybe I´ll start looking forward to S4 when (if?) they actually start filming. I don´t know, we´ll see.. maybe I´ll be back if I can contribute to the positive vibes of this wonderful forum again. 

August 24, 2015 12:23 pm  #27

I get your point, Zatoichi, though personally I'm still alright with hiatus, as it is the first I experience with the other fans here.
But honestly, if I were TPTB I would be worried! I think what you feel -not really being emotionally involved anymore-  is the worst that can happen for the creative team.
I agree though that a couple of bread crumbs would be very much appreciated.
Very much looking forward when you drop by more often again.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 24, 2015 5:45 pm  #28

nakahara wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Sherlock meanwhile, returning from the mission that left him scarred and probably with a case of PTSD

Any evidence for that???

When Sherlock was tortured in Serbian dungeon, his whole back was wet with blood after he was viciously beaten up. I can´t believe this didn´t leave any scars.

Some of Sherlock´s nervous and distracted behaviour (hearing voices in TEH, the glasses falling from his hands and his mind palace visions being overhelming so much so that he has to stop them with self-administered slaps in TSOT etc.) is in such contrast with his former cool and controlled conduct that it could possibly be a result of PTSB. But it´s just my theory - therefore I use the world "probably" in my original post.

Physical scars, yes. Mental scars, well, I doubt. The scenarios you're alluding to don't seem out of behaviour that much to me. Hearing John's voice in TEH seems completely in character to me, becuase unconsciously he misses John, but feels his presence absntmindedly. I think the other scenarios you're mentioning go into a similar direction.

About John's "weird" behaviour (I didn't refer "nasty" to any of the members here, by the way, it just seems common sense among most of the users here). Well, I can totally understand John: He loves Mary - and there's no much more to say about that, as far as I am concerned. I know that most of the users don't share this opinion and I don't want to open another discussion about John and Mary here either, but to me John's behaviour is clear and I'm ok with it.

August 24, 2015 5:56 pm  #29

Sorry, I don't like all these assumptions about what "most of the users here" think or not. I makes me feel like put in a box 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 24, 2015 6:05 pm  #30

Harriet wrote:

Sorry, I don't like all these assumptions about what "most of the users here" think or not. I makes me feel like put in a box

Sorry for that, I just tried to focus on what I've mostly read and found in different threads. Didn't want to insult anyone.

August 24, 2015 6:12 pm  #31

I feel similar, Harriet.
TBH, if fans discuss pages over pages I don't see how nobody opens up?
We have various threads here, for all sorts, feel free to post wherever you feel comfortable, kornmuhme. If you believe in the love story of the watsons, just post in the "Why we love Mary" thread.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 24, 2015 9:17 pm  #32

kornmuhme wrote:

About John's "weird" behaviour, Well, I can totally understand John: He loves Mary - and there's no much more to say about that, as far as I am concerned.

And that´s exactly what I consider to be weird. John wouldn´t love person like Mary the cold blooded murderer of many people. He had issues with much less serious things, he would not forgive such monstrosity. Even Mary is convinced of that.

Board footera