BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2015 8:21 pm  #1

After Sherlock saved John

What exactly happened after Sherlock pulled John out of the fire?

We have a scene of Sherlock touching John´s face, John regaining consciousness and then CUT! And in the next scene that plays out between John and Sherlock it is heavily implied that this is the first time they speak about this attempt on John´s life and that they never discussed it before....

So what happened next after John came to? I can´t believe Sherlock was not curious about the details of his kidnap and about his wellbeing.... did John pushed him away again in his wounded pride? Did Mary? How did John feel about the fact it was Sherlock who saved him? How come they did not reconcile right there and then?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 11, 2015 9:20 pm  #2

Re: After Sherlock saved John

Interesting questions. Could it be that it is somehow parallel to the last scene in TSOT? Mary as a nurse starting to care for John and Sherlock feeling superfluous? Or Mary accompanying John to a hospital to get checked? Maybe John was not conscious enough to discuss this. But I think Sherlock walking away would be quite in character, not just because of TSOT but also if we remember that John (in the show) never learns that Moriarty targeted him or that Sherlock (probably) shot Magnussen for John or that Mary said she would kill Sherlock. 
He usually does not talk about his good deeds if they are very personal. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 11, 2015 9:21 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 11, 2015 9:45 pm  #3

It sounds very plausible and in character for Sherlock. I´m just puzzled Mary and John left him to leave like that. But it´s true that John´s state could be bad and he maybe had to be checked in the hospital right away...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 12, 2015 9:10 am  #4

Yeah, that sounds the most plausible explanation. John was in no state to talk, hardly being able to neither move nor speak because of the drug. He was also pretty "smoked" and would probably be off to a hospital to check for any lung damage while sorting out the drug in his system. 

I doubht John would be angry, because he was already on his way to visit Sherlock when he was kidnapped. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 12, 2015 9:16 am  #5

Vhanja wrote:

I doubht John would be angry, because he was already on his way to visit Sherlock when he was kidnapped. 

Yes, that´s true - he probably wanted to reconcile already.

August 12, 2015 10:16 am  #6

Yes, that is true, but we do not know if Sherlock knows. We do not hear Mary telling him that John wanted to visit 221B and Sherlock was probably still out buying fish and chips when John was taken. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2015 12:36 pm  #7

I remember feeling pretty annoyed when I read John's blog and included in the entry is John saying that Sherlock probably did it just so he could save John and get him to forgive him. I know it's meant as a joke, but that's pretty heartless. 

August 20, 2015 12:58 pm  #8

TeaCub wrote:

I remember feeling pretty annoyed when I read John's blog and included in the entry is John saying that Sherlock probably did it just so he could save John and get him to forgive him. I know it's meant as a joke, but that's pretty heartless. 

Yes, that was awful. And puzzling - John, barely conscious as he was, still heard Sherlock bellowing his name in fear. Mary probably told him how they only saved him in time after having to crack the codes that came to them through SMS and how Sherlock tore to the bonfire in panic, trying to dig him out from under it. And yet he made comment like that?

August 20, 2015 1:29 pm  #9

I do not really agree with you. This is just sarcastic John speaking and he adds:

"Set it all up just so he could save my life so I'd forgive him about what he did. Nah, I know it wasn't really."

And further down: 

"But then the whole kidnapping/bonfire thing happened. And he saved my life, of course. And I went to say thanks and... I was hooked. He's like a drug. He told me about the terrorist plot and I was hooked."

So John knows what Sherlock did for him - during the bonfire and before on the roof. And just look at the wording: hooked, drug. 

"It's bloody brilliant. #sherlocklives means #johnwatsonlives."

I personally find this here far more offensive and it throws an interesting light on the park bench scene in TSoT:

I will say, though, she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Sorry, Sherlock  

August 20, 2015 1:34 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

I personally find this here far more offensive and it throws an interesting light on the park bench scene in TSoT:

I will say, though, she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Sorry, Sherlock  

This is written on John´s blog too? Grrr, burn that thing!

August 20, 2015 6:34 pm  #11

To be honest - that BBC guy who writes John´s blog probably never watched the show himself, because he had John all wrong and OOC. In that entry for TEH, John also says about Sherlock something like: "Oh, I know he is a psychpath...." which is bullshit. It sounds as if Donovan kidnapped John´s blog. The man who once headbutted the policeman for calling Sherlock a vigilante would never use Donovan´s scathing remarks to describe his friend....

August 21, 2015 4:31 am  #12

I agree, nakahara. That's why I ignore John's blog most of the times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 21, 2015 10:38 am  #13

Butbutbut, girls. Don't you see?
John equates Sherlock and Mary in their position yet again.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 22, 2015 5:54 pm  #14

There is that, yes!

As for the blog - the moment where I was the most upset was the entry for TGG, when John does say that maybe Donovan is right and that maybe Sherlock is a freak. That was incredibly heartbreaking; the whole point of their friendship is that John was never supposed to say that. Even if he's thinking it, when he's unsure or frustrated with Sherlock, he was never meant to say that. How hurtful. If I'd have been Mycroft and read that I would have purloined John once more and given him a talking to. 

August 22, 2015 6:37 pm  #15

TeaCub wrote:

There is that, yes!

As for the blog - the moment where I was the most upset was the entry for TGG, when John does say that maybe Donovan is right and that maybe Sherlock is a freak. That was incredibly heartbreaking; the whole point of their friendship is that John was never supposed to say that. Even if he's thinking it, when he's unsure or frustrated with Sherlock, he was never meant to say that. How hurtful. If I'd have been Mycroft and read that I would have purloined John once more and given him a talking to. 

That´s why I blame the BBC person who maintains the blog of doing their job without understanding the characters they are writing about.

John´s blog in the show is actually supposed to be read enthousiastically by many followers including the Queen, which means it simply has to have some literary quality and interesting content. The same blog existing in our world is written in a simple, almost neanderthal style and is obviously meant to be only a joke.

And then there´s a psychological side to all this: John as introduced in the show is not the type to smile into somebody´s face, call him his friend and then write nasty things about him behind his back. John is portrayed as a principled, straighforward man who does not hide his friendship or enmity behind such false fasade. If he was angry with Sherlock, he would scream it to his face rather than writing malicious quips about him in secret. His personality and attitude simply does not match with a personality of the writer of John´s blog.

August 24, 2015 9:33 am  #16

that blog is so crappy. I never ever take it seriously. It does seem like the guy, if he's ever watched the show, has done so only once and is writing that thing as if *he* himself was in the show rather than the actual character. There is no depth and no attention to detail. And that 'sorry Sherlock' is just what this guy would say to his mate, not at all how John and Sherlock interact (as proved by TsoT when John effectively goes way past the 'fuckboy' comment and says that Sherlock has also changed his life... Come on, Mary and Sherlock can't even be compared in terms of which is the best, most extraordinary thing that has ever happened to John!)

I just think after Sherlock saved John they went to the hospital and perhaps they even kept John for a few hours if not overnight, and the day after he went to 221b to speak to Sherlock. Seems quite simple to me.

August 24, 2015 1:42 pm  #17

God, yes, I agree that that blog is awful.  Its dates clash so badly with the show.  I can't understand why the show runners don't keep better control of it/provide Joe with enough information that he can be more accurate.

Anyway, back on topic: seeing as the last thing that John had said to Sherlock was, "F...... cough," or words to that effect (!), Sherlock might have felt that he wouldn't be welcome at the hospital once John was feeling better.  Assuming that a still drugged-up John was taken to hospital by ambulance, Mary would have been the first choice to ride with him and maybe Sherlock didn't dare go to the hospital himself. 

Or maybe he got back on the motorcycle with the intention of riding it to the hospital but then realised that he might not be welcome, and instead took it back to its owner who was presumably sitting in Mrs Hudson's kitchen plaintively awaiting the return of his bike!

August 24, 2015 9:35 pm  #18

Ariane DeVere wrote:

Or maybe he got back on the motorcycle with the intention of riding it to the hospital but then realised that he might not be welcome, and instead took it back to its owner who was presumably sitting in Mrs Hudson's kitchen plaintively awaiting the return of his bike!

I´m sure Mrs. Hudson fed the motocycle-owner some cake, poured him tea and soothed him by speaking about Sherlock´s "a little bit impulsive" nature... so he had no time to be plaintive. 

August 25, 2015 4:18 am  #19

Ariane DeVere wrote:

This would be a nice foreshadowing to him leaving the wedding earlier in TSoT. I like that thought.

(Well, "nice" as in "profoundly heart-breaking", of course. It would fit with the way the show is written.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 25, 2015 9:17 am  #20

I honestly think that Sherlock wouldn't give a hoot about not being welcome - I mean we've had SOOOO many instances where Sherlock freaked out about John's wellbeing, of course he would go to the hospital anyway and wait until he knew John was alright!! I mean.... it's Sherlock we're talking about!

Board footera