BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2015 10:24 pm  #641

Re: Benedict to play Hamlet on stage

Found this interesting article about the reasons why actors would want to take on the role of Hamlet...

http://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-actors-want-to-play-Hamlet

And as well here is a six minute BBC Radio 4 Broadcasting House excerpt trying to answer the question... "What is the attraction of Hamlet for actors like Benedict Cumberbatch?"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02z4wg2

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

August 13, 2015 10:38 pm  #642

Oh great! Thanks, Val

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 14, 2015 5:33 pm  #643

Lilythiell wrote:

Oh yes, his Hamlet was very good! Very emotional. If you're interested in watching it -or just a part of it ("to be or not to be soliloquy) as you're not a fan of Hamlet- you can do so on Youtube.
While not being obligatory, playing Hamlet will certainly crown an already talented actor's career -and we can be sure that Ben's performance is just very, very good.

Thanks!! I looked at him. Not bad, that guy, too (Tennant). Look forward seeing official videos of BC, and meanwhile, there are plenty of photos and articles, and this thread

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 16, 2015 4:54 pm  #644

I read yesterday that some residents near the Barbican are complaining that the BC fans screaming too loud whenever he comes out for autographs.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 16, 2015 5:51 pm  #645

lol I can understand why they might, but I doubt that the theatre will do much other than perhaps advise people to me mindful of what they are doing, but the same thung happens when people stage door at Broadway theatres, so there's not much you can do.  I doubt they want to stop having Benedict come out to sign autographs, since a lot of people like that.

Clueing for looks.

August 17, 2015 3:34 am  #646

Yitzock wrote:

the same thing happens when people stage door at Broadway theatres, so there's not much you can do.

Most of the Broadway theaters, though, are amid other theaters, offices, and hotels--there aren't a whole lot of apartments right there (although there are some, for the theaters a bit farther west).

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 21, 2015 10:41 am  #647

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 21, 2015 10:43 am  #648

Such a lovely, playful man!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 21, 2015 10:48 am  #649

I'm a bit worried TBH. I've seen several SD pics now and he looks thin and exhausted. I just hope he can manage with his powers. And as much as I would love to see him there in octobre and maybe get an autograph I'm not quite sure it was a good idea to start doing it despite him saying he wouldn't last year. I think he's such a sweetheart that he just doesn't want to dissappoint anybody.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 21, 2015 10:51 am  #650

I cannot imagine that he is exhausted just because he's doing the stage door.......

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 21, 2015 10:54 am  #651

I think the rocky start got to him. And he has a baby, how do we know how much sleep he gets?
And maybe one should not underestimate being on stage under full electricity for three hours.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 21, 2015 11:02 am  #652

I think it is a combination of all those things. Also the pressure regarding the media is enormous. And if you add that he probably knows what some deluded people have been publicly writing about him and his family for months … You have to be very strong and grounded to deal with that which he hopefully is. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2015 11:06 am  #653

Plus, Hamlet in itself is a play loaded with high emotions and depression. Acting as a main character in such a production and repeat those high emotions day-to-day must be especially exhausting for a perfectionist like Benedict.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 21, 2015 11:24 am  #654

Yes, nakahara, exactly my thought. A little baby at home, high pressure and emotions on stage seven times a week, that combination surely exhausts him.
I also can't imagine that he will continue doing the stage door night after night until October. But from time to time... Wondering how much time he spents at the stage door every evening. 10... 20 minutes?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 21, 2015 11:57 am  #655

I don't care how much stamina you have, anyone would be exhausted after playing Hamlet!  And sweating under the lights can even have caused him to drop a couple of pounds.  Even as tired as he must be you can still see how happy he is.  He's face is just alight with the excitement of it all.  I wouldn't worry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 21, 2015 12:10 pm  #656

Well said, tonnaree. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2015 2:09 pm  #657

I love the fact that he seems so happy to greet the fans.  Not like he's being forced into it all grumpy or somthing.  Having said he wouldn't do it at first he's obviously doing it now because he enjoys it.  He's happy to share this experiance with us. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 21, 2015 3:58 pm  #658

I couldn't agree more!
He definitely looks happy, and he wouldn't keep on doing it if he didn't enjoy himself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 21, 2015 4:10 pm  #659

Guys, I think you all got me a bit wrong here.
I never wanted to say he does not look happy. I'm not one of those dillusional sceptics. And I think he looked bloody fantastic when he left through stage door on opening night.
All I was saying that nowadays he looked a bit exhausted, that's all. And that I hoped he knows about his powers.

August 21, 2015 5:25 pm  #660

Understood Mrshouse.  We all just love Benedict and want the best for him. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera