BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2015 4:53 pm  #1

Mark Gatiss to lend Sherlock twist to the BBC Proms

From the Irish Examiner: Mark Gatiss to lend Sherlock twist to the BBC Proms.

If I recall correctly, "Proms" stands for promenades or promenade concerts, and it's a whole series of classical music concerts and related events, and I am totally jealous that we have nothing like it here. (I'm sure any of our British friends can define that better than me, I've only ever seen little bits of it on PBS!) I think it's extremely cool that they're doing a concert based on Sherlock Holmes, and I completely understand why Mark Gatiss wanted to be involved.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

April 24, 2015 5:24 pm  #2

Re: Mark Gatiss to lend Sherlock twist to the BBC Proms

You are right about the proms, REReader.  These proms (at the Royal Albert Hall) are a particularly big event.   They are a series of classical concerts over weeks, and they often play popular classic music and have themed performances, etc.   The fun thing is that there are cheap standing tickets.   On the last night people tend to dress up, wave flags and join in the singing (Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No 1, in particular). 

This looks like a fun programme - I'd love to go!

April 24, 2015 9:00 pm  #3

I would love to to the Proms one day. It looks amazing from what I have seen. "Jerusalem" and all those join-in pieces. And now a Sherlock themed night - wow. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 28, 2015 10:06 pm  #4

We have the time and date - 16th August, 3.30pm.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/egnrzc
I'm going to book tickets tomorrow morning. Anyone interested?

Edit : General booking opens on 16 May.

Last edited by Lilythiell (April 29, 2015 12:29 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 8, 2015 7:33 am  #5

I usually watch "The last night of the Proms" on TV. The Mary Poppins medley last year was so great.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 16, 2015 10:37 pm  #6

I just discovered that the BBC site has the Sherlock Holmes Proms available for streaming. It's in two parts (runs for 2 hours 15 mins) and it will expire in 29 days. Check it out here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b065wxfg

Last edited by ukaunz (August 16, 2015 11:08 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 16, 2015 11:18 pm  #7

It was wonderful...I think I still have stars in my eyes -yes, I am aware that it wasn't the eyes that were actually engaged here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 16, 2015 11:27 pm  #8

Sounds lovely, Lily I'm just listening to the part where they play an extended version of the Granada series theme. Loving it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 17, 2015 6:40 am  #9

Thank you, ukaunz, for posting the link. So far I only heard Mark reading the note from The Final Problem and it was heartbreaking. Now for the music. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 17, 2015 8:20 am  #10

Don't forget to listen to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Remembers, which was played during the Proms interval. "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle looks back at his career as a writer and reflects on the methods and reputation of his greatest fictional creation, Mr Sherlock Holmes."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0663l7x

August 17, 2015 8:32 am  #11

ukaunz wrote:

I just discovered that the BBC site has the Sherlock Holmes Proms available for streaming. It's in two parts (runs for 2 hours 15 mins) and it will expire in 29 days. Check it out here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b065wxfg

Thank you! So wonderful!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 17, 2015 11:49 am  #12

The Sherlockology site has a report on the Proms with photos
http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2015/8/17/sherlock-prom-report-170815

August 17, 2015 7:33 pm  #13

I will have to watch that at some point, it looks enjoyable.

Clueing for looks.

August 18, 2015 12:10 am  #14

It's just the audio unfortunately, but still worth it 

August 29, 2015 1:37 pm  #15

It was a great day out. Lovely music.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera