BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2015 9:56 pm  #1

Hello, everyone!

I live in Oklahoma, and I've been a J.R.R. Tolkien fan for the past few years.  I first became one when The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey came out.  It was when the movie came out on DVD that I was first introduced to Martin Freeman, who I didn't know was also a co-star on "Sherlock."  Until this year, I only knew him as Bilbo Baggins; when I first began checking out the BBC "Sherlock," I also came to know him as Dr. John Watson.

Until this year, I also only knew Benedict Cumberbatch as the voices of Smaug and Sauron; I only came to know him as Sherlock Holmes when I started watching the TV show.

They really are good actors!

July 29, 2015 11:34 pm  #2

Re: Hello, everyone!

Welcome, kgreen20! I hope you enjoy it here.  I would agree, Benedict and Martin are good actors.

Clueing for looks.

August 1, 2015 9:11 am  #3

Hello, Hi and welcome to the forum! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 2, 2015 9:33 pm  #4

Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to have you here.
Tea? Coffee?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 2, 2015 11:23 pm  #5

Cherry Coke, please! =)

August 3, 2015 9:04 am  #6

kgreen20 wrote:

Cherry Coke, please! =)

Here you are :-)! Enjoy this vast amount of cherry sugar *ggg*.
Love this kind of coke, too, but I seldomly drink it - too unhealty :-(.

August 4, 2015 1:04 am  #7

Not if it's sugar-free.

August 4, 2015 9:57 am  #8

kgreen20 wrote:

Not if it's sugar-free.

Not in Germany, unfortunately :-(.

August 4, 2015 4:23 pm  #9

Hiya, kgreen20!!! Welcome to the Sherlock fourm. Hope you enjoy looking around here!

"I like detective stories - and detectives. Brainy is the new sexy." - Irene Adler
"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain....You're on the side of the angels." - Jim Moriarty

August 5, 2015 12:45 am  #10

Thanks!

August 5, 2015 6:39 am  #11

Hi,

If Peter Jackson led you to Sherlock Holmes, thanks to the excellent Martin Freeman, that's a good thing.
Adaptations are always tricky, especially with such a rich work like the one left by the genius Tolkien, but I think Jackson did a very good job.
And honestly, I prefer BBC new show to Doyle's original story (sorry for the fan, it's a bit old, now).

Maybe you should like "Fargo", too, starring M. Freeman (first season: 2014)

Welcome on the forum, enjoy it!

Last edited by BHavers (August 6, 2015 5:03 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 6, 2015 1:15 am  #12

I agree about the work Peter Jackson did in making The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies.  I've read the books and seen the movies on DVD, and I fully agree that he did a very good job.

And he made a great casting decision in choosing Martin Freeman to play Bilbo Baggins.  Now that I've seen Freeman in both roles, it's clear to me that he's a versatile actor.  With that said, I don't know anything about Fargo.

Last edited by kgreen20 (August 6, 2015 1:16 am)

August 6, 2015 5:11 pm  #13

"Fargo" serie is based on the movie made by the Coen brothers -based itself on a true story.
In a quiet town of Minnesota, a serie of murders is committed within a few days.
M. Freeman plays an everyman man who is indirectly responsible for the first murder, and seizes an opportunity to kill his wife. But he let the wolf in the sheephold -the killer, soon joined by other killers- and the situation slips completely out of control.
Here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/

Very good show in my opinion. Enjoy

Last edited by BHavers (August 6, 2015 5:12 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 11, 2015 12:11 pm  #14

Fargo isn't based on a true story really. It has it at the opening of Fargo but the Coen Brothers have said it was actually an untruth.  Film and TV series are brilliant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera