BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2015 12:26 pm  #41

Re: If we assume that Mary lives, how do you think S4 would play out?

nakahara wrote:

I especially hate the thought of Sherlock being reduced to some ridiculous comic-relief for the sake of Watson´s baby....

Where can I sign this?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 4, 2015 12:36 pm  #42

mrshouse wrote:

Oh my... how I would......not like that, neither the first nor the second prediction...

Me neither, but I still think it is very likely, especially the first. You have a TV-show. You have a baby. You have a character that is notoriously challenged in his social interactions. My experience as a viewer tells me where this is going. If they avoid it I would be pleasantly surprised. The second I could deal with, if it is done well (not saying I will not cry for weeks). 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 4, 2015 5:22 pm  #43

Lola Red wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

A reminder: The theme of the thread is "how will the show deal with Mary being present in the next season and with the beby" and not "what is the fastest way to get rid of her without killing her". We have already a couple of those.  

Point taken. While I still think that it is relatively unlikely that Mary and the kid will stay in the show on long term, I’d say that if they stay they both will take a bit of a back seat. Basically because TPTB have said time and time again that this show is a show about a great friendship, a show about a detective (and his blogger). I think it would be hard enough to get Mary to fit in well into the narrative (I think Doyle had the same problem, which is why Mary is rarely mentioned after the sign of the four and eventually written out), but especially the baby I think will be hard to get to fit in story-wise. On the other hand, who would have thought that there could be room for another female character in the Holmes universe besides Irene Adler and Mrs Hudson, and yet many of us (me included) adore Molly. I stand by my prediction that Sherlock and the baby will likely have to stand in for some comic relief and Mary’s past will come back in some way and cause some angst, possibly even the death of a beloved character.

This is something I can sign! At least for S4E1 we will probably see Mary and her baby playing their roles in which way ever. But finally, either slowly or suddenly, they will leave the show. I don't know when and how, but I'm sure it will happen.
For the first episode I can imagine, too, that we'll see a few funny, comic scenes where Sherlock just has to prove his lack of social competence such as handling with a baby and its mother and father ... Well, I don't think this will be too hard to bare :-).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 4, 2015 6:33 pm  #44

Lola Red wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

Oh my... how I would......not like that, neither the first nor the second prediction...

Me neither, but I still think it is very likely, especially the first. You have a TV-show. You have a baby. You have a character that is notoriously challenged in his social interactions. My experience as a viewer tells me where this is going. If they avoid it I would be pleasantly surprised. The second I could deal with, if it is done well (not saying I will not cry for weeks).

I'm still hoping we won't have a baby. I'm sure Mofftiss could find a way to get rid of it before it even makes an appearance on the show, and I really hope that's what they will do.
As for Mary, I can live with her causing angst and pain (which she already did, I know) as long as this brings the boys closer together again in the end.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 4, 2015 7:50 pm  #45

Not just her clothes. The house/flat and the wedding and the car do not seem cheap either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2015 8:06 pm  #46

SusiGo wrote:

Not just her clothes. The house/flat and the wedding and the car do not seem cheap either. 

Well, I guess they pay her well for every little murder she commits... can afford all that stuff then. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 4, 2015 8:30 pm  #47

to be fair, everyone’s clothes seem too expensive for their profession (notable exceptions: Mycroft and Billy)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 4, 2015 8:32 pm  #48

True. But it is not just the clothes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 5, 2015 6:41 am  #49

I don't think that would have worked for Mary.  Which of her guests would have contributed a substantial amount of money?   There was no family there, for a start.

Mary wouldn't be earning much as a part-time nurse, and rents are expensive in London.   John would be earning more as a GP and might have had some money put aside from work with Sherlock and money from the army, but it still seems like a very expensive wedding for them to choose (espeicailly as neither of them have close family to be there). 

I agree about everybody's clothes looking too expensive!  But I wonder if that's just a styling decision rather than meant to show they have a hidden income. 

August 5, 2015 11:43 am  #50

I think that is one of the common problems in television, people always have crazy money management skills and can afford stuff that people in real life with the same jobs can only dream about (see Sex and the City for an extreme version of this). But, to come back to topic, how will their financial situation impact how S4 will play out?

August 22, 2015 5:49 pm  #51

I'm kind of hoping that Sherlock will be suffering from some after-effects of the gunshot wound and that this will come through occasionally; he'll grimace and shift in obvious discomfort when he's supposed to be working. And I'm hoping John will be watching all this, remembering the long-lasting pain that came with his own gunshot wound and will, gradually, fall out of love with Mary when he fully realises the ripples of her actions. 

(I know, I'm terrible).

I'd also like to see Sherlock and John get back to a happy place; hoping that Series 4 will be the calm after the storm. 

August 22, 2015 6:44 pm  #52

TeaCub wrote:

I'm kind of hoping that Sherlock will be suffering from some after-effects of the gunshot wound and that this will come through occasionally; he'll grimace and shift in obvious discomfort when he's supposed to be working. And I'm hoping John will be watching all this, remembering the long-lasting pain that came with his own gunshot wound and will, gradually, fall out of love with Mary when he fully realises the ripples of her actions. 

(I know, I'm terrible).

Why do you apologise? It´s an absolutely normal and valid wish. Plus, I consider it much more honest to portray the consequences of the violence that occured in the previous episodes than to descend into that Hollywood-style reality in which the mortal wounds are healed in two days and leave no scars, no trauma, no fear and thus do not carry any responsibility for the perpetrator.

TeaCub wrote:

I'd also like to see Sherlock and John get back to a happy place; hoping that Series 4 will be the calm after the storm. 

They promised us a dark twist so who knows? But I hope that they would return to the "Sherlock and John are solving cases together, two against the rest of the world" pattern at least, no matter the dark twists....

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 22, 2015 8:37 pm  #53

Thanks for your thoughts. I've realised - through some fanfiction - that Sherlock's bullet wound may have lasting effects. I'd really like to see John worrying about him more and focusing more on that side of it, because we never really saw a lot of that.

My other hope is that John has in fact made a copy of the memory stick and that he is holding out on Mary. 

August 22, 2015 8:40 pm  #54

I don't think they'll show ongoing effects of the bullet wound.  They didn't show any ongoing effects of the torture at the beginning of S3.   I do think violence is kind of trivialised in this programme (the above being an example), but I'm kind of glad of it - I think they've maybe gone far enough down the road of the suffering, Christ-like Sherlock in S3.   Not that I didn't like that aspect - I was totally drawn into it.   But I don't think it can all be about what tortures Sherlock can go through. 

August 23, 2015 9:32 pm  #55

Liberty wrote:

I don't think they'll show ongoing effects of the bullet wound.  They didn't show any ongoing effects of the torture at the beginning of S3.   I do think violence is kind of trivialised in this programme (the above being an example), but I'm kind of glad of it - I think they've maybe gone far enough down the road of the suffering, Christ-like Sherlock in S3.   Not that I didn't like that aspect - I was totally drawn into it.   But I don't think it can all be about what tortures Sherlock can go through. 

Yes, that´s also possible.
I just found an interesting meta that seems to speak exactly about that:

http://just-sort-of-happened.tumblr.com/post/105627795845/realism-vs-absurdity-teh-managing-audience

Last edited by nakahara (August 23, 2015 9:33 pm)

January 20, 2016 6:40 am  #56

Ooh, something to ponder here; has anyone seen The Woman in Green? (a Rathbone/Bruce film)
http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/137671438504/nothing-new-under-the-sun
Quite a few familiar motifs...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 20, 2016 9:09 am  #57

melissak334 wrote:

To me, either you can get rid of both (via death or running away or whatever) or you can get keep both. You can't keep the baby and get rid of Mary, because that means that John is the sole parent for this kid and would be both too angsty and too sitcomy. You can't get rid of the baby and keep Mary, because then it would be more of a story circle than a story arc. John/Mary get married, John/Mary concieve baby, baby dies before birth, John/Mary return to previous state of affairs but with more angst.

So in summary: If we assume that Mary lives, then we must assume that Baby Watson lives.

As far as S4 plotlines go, I don't think very many fans would want an episode that focuses on the birth of Baby Watson, and that's a very difficult thing not to focus on, since it's a major event in all of their lives that would be happening only 4 months after the last episode of S3. So either they skip past the birth entirely or they turn it into something dramatic like "Mary's having contractions while we're chasing down a murderer." or "John is about to miss the birth of his child because he's being held at gunpoint by Moriarty's brother."

I totally agree with your explanation.

Either both are alive or both die at the end of S4. Although let them both die would be horrible for John. But they do said that it would be devastating. Maybe Mary and baby just leave, someone mentioned a witness protection programm.

But I want at least one scene with Sherlock and Baby Watson. Mofftiss said they like to put Sherlock in new and for him unpleasant/awkward situations. I'm sure if Baby Watson survives it will love Sherlock and would follow him like a puppy and Sherlock is highly irritated.

If this were a fanfiction, they would kill off Mary and the baby and John would move to 221B ;)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 20, 2016 3:26 pm  #58

I wonder if Mary would indeed give birth in S4. Her belly was miraculously missing in TAB.

Last edited by nakahara (January 20, 2016 3:27 pm)

January 20, 2016 4:30 pm  #59

I still think a fake pregnancy is a slight possibility.  Not very probable, but possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2016 5:30 pm  #60

I would be more cross about them doing this, than I would be about another fake death.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera