BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2012 10:42 am  #121

Re: D'you think Sherlock has ever had a girlfriend?

Arya wrote:

I was just wondering why you think Sherlock saved Irene if you don't think he's straight or bi 

Just my thoughts, off the top of my head--

I think Sherlock admired her. I think he saved her at the end of ASiB as one might a precious ruby from a pile of cubic zirconia stones. Or a perfect Siamese cat specimen from an animal shelter full of rescued street cats.

I think he was *amazed* by her. How often did he ever ever ever meet anyone anywhere close to him, not only in smarts but also in sensibilities? Maybe never. She not only "got him", she also challenged him-- and as we've seen, that just doesn't happen in Sherlock's life. Intellectually, she was not one of the adorable ordinaries.

Sex was not necessary-- she obviously offered--  I would have you on this desk until you beg for mercy, twice. And in the Baker Street living room, dressed in a robe, leaning over his lap, her mouth about 4 inches from his, hands intertwined. Blah, blah, on and on. So whether or not he ever took her up on her sexual offer, I tend to doubt it. I don't know that he'd be interested in filling up a vessel that had already been filled up by a thousand others. I don't know that he needed to go there with his little head, when his big head was so damned intrigued and challenged by her already.

She was scary. Maybe he was afraid of being burned. You know, the way HE could burn someone he chose to have a sexual relationship with, maybe even in a way he already had burned someone. Turnabout is fair play and all that.

The possibilities about why he saved her are endless. And I think most of them have nothing to do with his orientation, whatever that orientation is.

August 2, 2012 11:30 am  #122

I've never understood why the notion of Sherlock being affected by self discovery of romantic or friendship attraction is a strict violation of canon yet the LSD dogs, Molly, MI6 Mycroft, eyelash- tinted- Jim and all the rest is ok. Moftiss clearly like the idea that Sherlock may be a master of all things intellectual but is deliciously conflicted as a stunted, naive, in denial man/boy about all things emotional. That notion not only makes for a far better story it is entirely far more realistic than the emotionless robot man.  I am looking forward to seeing further emotional growth from Sherlock as we go forward because he has certainly made noticeable gains in past two seasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

August 2, 2012 11:39 am  #123

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I've never understood why the notion of Sherlock being affected by self discovery of romantic or friendship attraction is a strict violation of canon yet the LSD dogs, Molly, MI6 Mycroft, eyelash- tinted- Jim and all the rest is ok. Moftiss clearly like the idea that Sherlock may be a master of all things intellectual but is deliciously conflicted as a stunted, naive, in denial man/boy about all things emotional. That notion not only makes for a far better story it is entirely far more realistic than the emotionless robot man.  I am looking forward to seeing further emotional growth from Sherlock as we go forward because he has certainly made noticeable gains in past two seasons.

The showrunners are busy creating their own delicious version of a modern Sherlock. The possibilities are endless, the sky's the limit, and I'm happy we're all along for the ride. I have almost no knowledge of original canon, so couldn't care less about that (sorry, all you purists reading this). I think this Sherlock is wonderful, just the way he is, and however the powers that be and Benedict himself want him to grow older is just fine with me. It's all good.

August 2, 2012 12:46 pm  #124

Regarding Sherlock and Irene I always have to think of "The psssition of the car" (quote) 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 2, 2012 1:31 pm  #125

That's really funny isn't it. The way he stumbles over his words. Brilliantly done!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 2, 2012 1:44 pm  #126

Yes. And means SOMEthing... 

August 2, 2012 1:46 pm  #127

It's really comforting to know that there are things that can distract even him!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 2, 2012 8:56 pm  #128

Yeah I love that bit too. I like the idea that SH can get flustered sometimes. Makes him more human.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 3, 2012 12:00 am  #129

I love anything in the stories that makes him seem more human. 

August 3, 2012 11:16 am  #130

What did Moffat say? "Sherlock is a human trying to be god (while the Doctor is a god trying to be human).

I find Sherlock quite human throughout the show though somewhat socially inapt at times.

August 3, 2012 12:00 pm  #131

More human or more humane?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 3, 2012 12:21 pm  #132

lol Davina.
I find it funny that the very reason Sherlock Holmes was ever created to be about is the thing people here want to negate.
He IS different to most people; he DOES think differently than the ordinary person & yet people want to 'make' him ordinary.
Gawd help us all if he meets a girl, gets married & lives happily ever after with no more ventures into detective work, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 3, 2012 12:51 pm  #133

kazza474 wrote:

lol Davina. I find it funny that the very reason Sherlock Holmes was ever created to be about is the thing people here want to negate. He IS different to most people; he DOES think differently than the ordinary person & yet people want to 'make' him ordinary. Gawd help us all if he meets a girl, gets married & lives happily ever after with no more ventures into detective work, lol.

That's because we're all stupid. Vacant. Average. And ordinary. But Moriarty said we were adorable, so there is that.

August 3, 2012 1:13 pm  #134

kazza474 wrote:

Gawd help us all if he meets a girl, gets married & lives happily ever after with no more ventures into detective work, lol.

BORING!!
And after all - I don't want to make him ordinary. I'm fully satisfied with a little, tiny bit shining through here and there....

August 8, 2012 1:00 pm  #135

I don't think anyone would ever want Sherlock to settle down, get a girlfriend, get married, have kids etc. The reason we're all so fascinated with him and spend the majority of our lives thinking/talking/(obsessing) about him is because he's so different and unusual and special and THAT'S what we love about him, right? Right guys?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 8, 2012 4:53 pm  #136

You couldn't be more right, Boss. If he did anything remotely like that he wouldn't be Sherlock Holmes anymore. But I love it when they touch upon and toy with the ideas of love and friendship without becoming too obvious.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 8, 2012 7:17 pm  #137

It would be so boring if they did that But they have to put in hints of emotion, especially affection; Sherlock can't be too unrelatable.

August 10, 2012 4:45 am  #138

He's obviously asexual or something similar to that, so I don't imagine that he's had a serious girlfriend. Ever.

However, in primary and middle school I noticed an observable phenomenon where girls would almost 'adopt' boys with autistic or antisocial tendencies. I could see this happening to Sherlock, perhaps in 2nd or 3rd grade. (That would be Years 3 and 4) So it wouldn't be a girlfriend in the mature, sexual relationship sense, but it would be something of the sort, regardless.

Naturally, Sherlock's childhood is a mystery. More likely than not he's had few truly human relationships in his life. I don't truly believe something like this happened to him, but I'm offering it up for discussion's sake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 10, 2012 4:54 am  #139

Arya wrote:

Ivy and ancientsgate- sorry, I didn't write the last post very well. You English is great, Ivy. I just watched SiB again this morning, and I was still trying to... reorganize my thoughts again, I guess .

I was just wondering why you think Sherlock saved Irene if you don't think he's straight or bi 

IMO, Sherlock's bi. It's the most logical way to explain the end of SiB, and, from a writer's standpoint, it would be too boring to make Sherlock straight after all this time 

I believe Sherlock's relationship with Irene is purely intellectual. If he is attracted to her, he's attracted to her mind, not what's in her pants. To him, it wouldn't matter if Irene was a sexless brain in a box, if she offered a challenge, he's game. Perhaps intellsexual? The reason she's so important in the canon is, yes, because she's a woman. But only because she's the only woman that ever outwitted him. It was the brain that was notable. He would remember her even if she was a man because he's been beaten by a very limited number of people, it's just that her sex makes her stand out in that group.

In the modern era that's less important. Women are barristers, scientists, mathematicians, college professors, etc., so our Sherlock has grown up in a world where it's nothing notable for a woman to be intelligent. The reason she's important is that, as far as we know, she was the first person, male or female, to beat Modern!Sherlock Holmes.

I believe their relationship only took a sexual turn because Irene engineered it that way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 10, 2012 6:31 am  #140

Irene engineered it that way on Moriarty's advice. Remember she says that it was he who told her how to play the Holmes boys- the Ice Man and The Virgin.

Board footera