BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2015 12:36 pm  #41

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

Hm.... but didn't he also say they haven't even written the script for S4?
So why does he already know all this? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 10, 2015 12:38 pm  #42

Because he's a genius.
Seriously, he also said that he and Mark basically already know everything they want to do in S4 and what will happen. Now they just need to write it down.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 11, 2015 7:40 pm  #43

SolarSystem wrote:

Because he's a genius.
Seriously, he also said that he and Mark basically already know everything they want to do in S4 and what will happen. Now they just need to write it down.

You know-- that actually worries me-- 

There are all these unresolved questions from TRF, and S3-- I think I'd prefer to be able to think that there was ...well.. more planning? I could be wrong, but-- I worry that we're going to have another season of questions with no answers....

July 11, 2015 7:52 pm  #44

There will Always be more questions!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 11, 2015 7:55 pm  #45

tonnaree wrote:

There will Always be more questions!

It's what keeps this forum going!

July 11, 2015 9:53 pm  #46

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Because he's a genius.

You know-- that actually worries me-- 

There are all these unresolved questions from TRF, and S3-- I think I'd prefer to be able to think that there was ...well.. more planning? I could be wrong, but-- I worry that we're going to have another season of questions with no answers....

I suppose 'planning' can mean different things to different people. Maybe that's the way they've always worked on new screenplays? If I remember correctly they said very shortly after S3 had aired that they already know how the story will continue. And I suppose they didn't get around to writing it up until now mainly because Moffat's main focus lies on "Doctor Who" right now. He did a whole new season last year and is in the middle of doing another new season as we speak - I suppose he simply doesn't have time for "Sherlock" right now. Which isn't something I'm particularly thrilled about, don't get me wrong, it feels a bit as if DW has been more important to him for a while now. On the other hand, Benedict and Martin aren't available in the near future anyway, so I guess it's understandable that Moffat doesn't concentrate on "Sherlock" all the time.
And questions... I'm sure we'll get more unanswered questions anyway, no matter when the scripts will be finished.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 11, 2015 11:40 pm  #47

Two years will be an awfully long time. We'll have to stay strong (yeah. I'm in the mood for "stating the obvious").
And it makes no doubt whatsoever to me that all previously unanswered questions will be answered (well, I say "all". Maybe a couple won't.), but it's fair to say, in my opinion, that many more will be raised. And for that, I cannot wait (as if it were the only reason...).

All this talk about "when" makes me think of Henry Knight, when he comes to Sherlock : "In your own time" says John (parallel with the writers et al. ?) to which Sherlock (the Fandom, obviously) replies "but quite quickly."
This note was absolutely not useful, but I felt I needed to share it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 12, 2015 12:22 am  #48

It's all good Lilythiell!  We're here for you!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 12, 2015 12:25 am  #49

With shock blankets and freezer pops!

July 12, 2015 8:57 am  #50

Aww, guys

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 12, 2015 9:22 am  #51

I'll just leave this little quote here, maybe it helps a bit, maybe it doesn't:
Good things come to those who wait.

July 12, 2015 10:44 am  #52

At least we do  not wait alone.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 12, 2015 5:19 pm  #53

I'm also very glad to be able to share this damn hiatus until season 4 with YOU :-)!
But who knows? Some things come quicker than one might think ... I still hope for 2016 (even it's December!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 12, 2015 10:57 pm  #54

"Good things come"...oh my God what thoughts just popped into my head *hides*

In all seriousness, though, there's never been a reason to doubt the quality of the show (narrative or otherwise), I don't see why I should start now. I KNOW that whatever happens it will be good...
I may find the Wait atrocious, but I'd rather have three episodes every two or three years of that quality than 20, every year but of a lesser quality.

On another note...noticed his curls are growing... (Wimbledon)

Last edited by Lilythiell (July 12, 2015 11:25 pm)

July 29, 2015 7:37 am  #55

Before series 3 aired, there were several comments & teasers from the writers, hinting at a thrilling revelation of how Sherlock did it (which was the question bothering the hell out of most viewers), stuff like "there's a clue everyone's missed" etc. and yet what did we get at the end of all that dramatic build-up? A bloody romance, a romcom/soap opera masquerading as Sherlock. Series 3 was entirely about the whole 'JohnLock' theory, and I'm sure Series 4 will be more of the same. I can see there are a lot of people who will be thrilled by it, but I'm not one of them. To be fair, I like the camaraderie and understanding between Sherlock & John, it is an essential part of what draws me to the show, and it is done far better than in any other adaptation; what I don't like is the writers making that understanding the focus of an episode rather than a nice undercurrent, and milking the hell out of it until it becomes an unrecognisable mass of mush.

July 29, 2015 1:39 pm  #56

Boswell wrote:

Before series 3 aired, there were several comments & teasers from the writers, hinting at a thrilling revelation of how Sherlock did it (which was the question bothering the hell out of most viewers), stuff like "there's a clue everyone's missed" etc. and yet what did we get at the end of all that dramatic build-up? A bloody romance, a romcom/soap opera masquerading as Sherlock. Series 3 was entirely about the whole 'JohnLock' theory, and I'm sure Series 4 will be more of the same. I can see there are a lot of people who will be thrilled by it, but I'm not one of them. To be fair, I like the camaraderie and understanding between Sherlock & John, it is an essential part of what draws me to the show, and it is done far better than in any other adaptation; what I don't like is the writers making that understanding the focus of an episode rather than a nice undercurrent, and milking the hell out of it until it becomes an unrecognisable mass of mush.

Hm, I don't agree with you, to be honest. Although not being a fan of Johnlock either, I don't think this stuff was exaggerated in series 3. To me it was clear and it is still logic that the focus had to be laid on the development of both characters: Two years have passed, Sherlock changed and so did John (I think he did even more).
But where do you see a "romance" between them in series 3?
I can't really say in which way their relationship will be developed in series 4, but I'm pretty sure that won't be everything!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 29, 2015 1:48 pm  #57

There's always the option of not watching the show anymore if it gets too bad for you.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 29, 2015 2:04 pm  #58

And to add information: there is the " Official Johnlock debate " thread. You can discuss your views if it's there or not in there.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 29, 2015 2:05 pm  #59

That, and it's the John and Sherlock show, after all. Seems logical they would bring their relationship (camaraderie or otherwise) out.

July 29, 2015 2:20 pm  #60

"Like all Holmes´s reasoning, the thing seemed simplicity itself when it was once explained. He read the thought upon my features and his smile had a tinge of bitterness. "I am afraid that I rather give myself away when I explain," said he. "Results without causes are much more impressive.""

Thus said Sherlock in "The Stock-broker´s Clerk". And it is also relevant if you think about TRF. The beauty of TRF lay in the mystery of Sherlock´s appareant death and his miraculous survival and the emotions those two occurences awakened in an audience. No solution to this mystery, however brilliant, would actually satisfy the spectators, because it would rob them of this beautiful feeling of the inexplicable, woundrous thing that happened with Sherlock. The mystery explained = the mystery robbed of its charm and finally forgetable, because now it´s "simplicity itself".

I think Moftiss tried to at least partly preserve the mystery of TRF by deliberately leaving the explanation of Sherlock´s survival questionable and thus having the door for the other possible explanations still open, rather than establishing one true solution (which would always be a bit unsatisfactory). Too bad they hyped TEH with unrealistical pronouncements before they actually wrote the episode - the rift between their statements and the real episode is the main source of the fan´s disappointment, I believe. Still, I can understand why they turned their attention to personal drama of the characters rather than mysteries in S3. Sherlock´s fall in TRF created a rift between him and John that couldn´t be just waved over like in the original (it would seem very forced in this version of Sherlock). If Sherlock and John just continued like nothing had happened, we probably wouldn´t buy it either. So in TEH and TSOT they needed to resolve this tension and therefore you find more personal interactions between characters in these episodes than in those which preceded it. In HLV they then returned to classical thriller-mystery. 

It was not an artistic choice to everyone´s taste, but it´s not "turning a show into romance/soap opera" either, I believe.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera