BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2015 4:49 pm  #1

Tension between Sherlock and John at the beginning

What is your take on the situation at the beginning of the episode, when John and Sherlock have just found out that Moriarty is back and that they have to go and testify in court? When they're getting ready, they're so tense, and while it would be justified by the circumstances, John seems angry with Sherlock and Sherlock acts kind of guilty. John behaves as if what happened is Sherlock's fault and seems quite short with him.

What are your thoughts?

July 24, 2015 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Tension between Sherlock and John at the beginning

I think John is mainly worried because Sherlock has become so famous. Of course it was due to his blogging but he is probably aware that this might become dangerous. I think the scene when they leave the house before driving to to court is a sort of foreshadowing of the oncoming darkness. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 24, 2015 7:25 pm  #3

The last time John saw Moriarty, he was stuck in a semtex vest, so of course he is tense immediately after the news about Moriarty´s return. It doesn´t seem to me like he is angry with Sherlock. He is rather scared and intimidated by Moriarty´s sudden reappearance (therefore a bit more cross than usual) and he thinks laying low, not bringing attention to themselves, would deflect Moriarty´s unhealthy interest from Sherlock and himself.

Sherlock, on the other hand, understands Moriarty better and knows very well that this will not be enough to stop obssessed Moriarty from bothering them. He probably senses right away that this will end badly and this knowledge causes him to be quite sad and contemplative very early in the episode. Maybe that´s why his behaviour seems guilty to you.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 25, 2015 12:50 am  #4

I think there have been theories on other threads that right from the start Sherlock was deliberately putting himself out in front of the media by solving all those high profile cases we see at the beginning of TRF in order to lure Moriarty out into making his move.  In other words, it was all part of his and Mycroft's plan to get the ball rolling toward the endgame of destroying the Moriarty network.

John is kept in the dark (as usual) and is tense because he knows what Moriarty is capable of and knows from the pool scene that he has threatened to kill them.  He wants Sherlock to behave at court so that Moriarty will be put away for good.  Sherlock, on the other hand, knows what's coming and what it probably means for both of them. The look he gives John in the mirror while they are getting ready foreshadows Molly's, "You look sad, when you think he can't see you." From that point on you can see him go very inward and self-contained in order to concentration on what's coming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera