BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2015 1:13 pm  #1

Why did Dr. Frankland come to Dewer's Hollow at the end?

This is a question i've attempted to discuss in other forums but haven't found an answer that really satisfies my curiosity. It does look like a convenient plot twist that has been used to contrive the desired ending. Why would Dr. Frankland come to Dewer's Hollow when he knows Sherlock and John are in Dartmoor and probably in the company of Henry whom they've come to help? And why would he run straight into the minefield, he who has worked most of his life at Baskerville and would know the place well? 
Dr. Frankland's involvement is just a theory of Sherlock's at the moment, there is no evidence against him. If confronted, he could simply deny everything and continue to show concern for Henry, who would then become even mor confused as to whom to trust-Sherlock with his new theory or this person who has had influence over him for the last 30 years? Henry would simply go crazier, and Dr. Frankland could go on living his life as before.
This is overall a well-written episode but doesn't stand up to the detailed analysis that Sherlocked fans myself are bound to subject it to.

July 17, 2015 1:23 pm  #2

Re: Why did Dr. Frankland come to Dewer's Hollow at the end?

I think Dr. Frankland just wanted to check if Henry shot himself dead and if John and Sherlock lost their mind under the influence of the poisons he planted there. A bit weak, but I guess, the only possible solution.

As to your second question: the culprit in the original story knew his way through the dangerous mire. Still, in panic he made a mistake and drowned there. The Frankland minefield scene is a mirror to this: Dr. Frankland possibly knows his way through the minefield so he escapes right there in hope the others wouldn´t dare to follow him. Still, in his panic he makes a fatal mistake, steps on the mine and is killed instantly.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 17, 2015 1:30 pm  #3

From my point of view Dr. Frankland wanted to check and - in case - possibly intervene (to kill Henry). He must have sensed that Sherlock and John have found something out about him (even if he didn't know exactly what it was). So I also think, Frankland was kind of worried - he just had to check that night that his plans develop successfully.
Why he, however, wore this shirt reading H.O.U.N.D. - I still don't understand.
As far as the mines are concerned - Frankland just made a fatal mistake. Running and trying to get away from the men made him incautious, so he accidentally stepped on a mine.

By the way, welcome to the forum, boswell :-).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 20, 2015 7:32 am  #4

Thanks kornmuhme, i think it's just one of those things a fan needs to take in stride, one of those questions not meant to be answered - it's just the way the plot is, they had to end it somewhere
Nakahara, thanks for pointing out this particular connection with the original; now why didnt i think of it before?

July 20, 2015 11:05 am  #5

To me it was obvious that he started the mine intentionally, so that he would not be held responsible for his deeds.

Similar Ariane DeVere in her transcript that is more detailed than my memory and a combination of both: 

"Reaching the barbed wire fence surrounding the minefield, Frankland doesn't hesitate and jumps over. His feet tangle in the wire and he falls to the ground on the other side. He jumps up and runs on a few yards but then stops abruptly as his foot thumps down onto a mine, which makes a distinctive clink indicating that he has activated its pressure pad. He stares down at his foot, shining his torch onto the mine underneath and realising that unless he remains completely still and doesn't lift any pressure off it, the mine will blow. As the others hurry towards the barbed wire, he raises his head, sighs in resignation and deliberately lifts his foot. The others skid to a halt and duck down as a massive explosion rips into the air. As the blast dies down, Henry sinks back against a nearby tree while Sherlock gazes reflectively across the minefield."

(bold is mine)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera