BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2015 7:29 am  #1

Hello from Karoline :)

Hello, I´m Karoline, I joined because I´m a fan of Sherlock, I study media education and for a analysis I would like to ask some of you some questions It is about the difference between Sherlock the series and Sherlock Holmes from the books

July 1, 2015 9:26 am  #2

Re: Hello from Karoline :)

Hi Karoline and welcome to the forum

I've read quite a few of the Arthur Conan Doyle stories and also watched most of the Jeremy Brett series if that helps too. What sort of questions have you got for us?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2015 10:08 am  #3

Welcome, Karoline. How can we help you? And you may have a look, there are several threads comparing the show and the books. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 5, 2015 9:55 pm  #4

Hello and welcome to the forum Karoline! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 14, 2015 1:57 pm  #5

At frist I´m very very sorry for my late answer
My questions are: What do you think of the books, are you a fan of them too? Do you see a difference between the books and the series?

July 14, 2015 5:27 pm  #6

Welcome to the forum

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

July 14, 2015 5:42 pm  #7

Warm welcome from me as well, Karoline, I like your name 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 15, 2015 5:54 pm  #8

Welcome Karoline!
As for your questions, I'd say there are some differences (the time period not being the only difference), but there are aspects of both characters that are the same in the original stories and in the TV series. Some of them come from The Hound of the Baskervilles.  I like this quote very much, because of how accurate it is it made me chuckle.  It applies to 21st Century Sherlock as well: "One of Sherlock Holmes's defects - if one may call it a defect - was that he was exceedingly loth to communicate his full plans to any other person until the instant of their fulfullment.  Partly it came no doubt from his own masterful nature, which loved to dominate and surprise those who were around him.  Partly also from his professional caution, which urged him never to take any chances.  The result, however,was very trying for those who were acting as his agents and assistants." Sound familiar? This is why despite some changes, I think they've brought the character in essence to the present.  There are some carry-overs that are slightly changed (Sherlock using nicotine patches instead of cocaine, John writie a blog instead of stories in a magaze), as well as different cases that don't exist in teh books or that are sort of combinations of more than one from the original story, but that's only a few of the many examples, which I'm sure the others have already covered in other forum topics.

Clueing for looks.

July 22, 2015 11:35 am  #9

Thak you all! it´s so friendly here

@Yitzock
Okay, thank you very much! that helps me a lot, and can you tell me if there are some particular posts which cover this theme?

Board footera