BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2015 7:47 pm  #1421

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

But if you look at the cases in the news of "medical" serial killers, it actually seems to sometimes take quite a while to catch them, and quite a while to even notice that people are being murdered.  And that's when the murderers are people who are known to have the means and the opportunity.  

Medical killers had it easier than Mary, don´t you think? They were already knowledgable about the daily regime in hospital /medical facility they worked in and they were mostly a part of the staff there (nurses, doctors), so nobody was finding it strange if they injected something into patient´s body. Mary doesn´t have such a advantage.

Liberty wrote:

Catching a visitor committing a single concealed murder would be much harder, I'm sure.  There are loads of people working in hospitals, cleaners, porters, etc., and loads of visitors.  

Loads of people who can see you from the hall when you are trying to hurt a patient.... and as I pointed above, there´s a high possibility of Mycroft´s camera being hidden somewhere.

Liberty wrote:

It obviously wasn't even a problem for Mary to be alone with Sherlock as she manages to do it early on (she wouldn't have been threatening him if John or other people were there).  If they really want us to believe that Mary wanted to kill him in hospital but couldn't - well, I just don't buy it.   

I know where you are coming from, still, I don´t think Mary could kill Sherlock in the moment when she threatened him. She probably promised John to look out over Sherlock for a while - something happens to him now and she is the first one who would be implied as a cause of his death....

I'm agreeing with Nakahara here,  I think there was too much of a chance of being caught for Mary to risk it. 

July 13, 2015 8:02 pm  #1422

Mary took the fall?????

All I have seen is Mary NOT taking any responsibility for anything she has done. Ever. 

July 13, 2015 8:22 pm  #1423

Swanpride wrote:

How? Everybody trusted her and she is a trained killer and a trainer nurse. It should be no problem whatsoever to inject something into Sherlock or manipulate the equipment to ensure that he would collapse later when she isn't in the room anymore. She had hours to prepare for that because Sherlock would hardly be awake immediatly after operation.

I don´t think she had that much time to prepare. In my opinion she came to the hospital in belief that Sherlock is dead an after she found out that he´s alive, she didn´t leave untill she threatened him. She couldn´t allow to leave out of fear that Sherlock regaines consciousness in between and uncovers her secret in front of John.

Which means, she din´t have some poison ready at hand, when she threatened Sherlock. Althrough she was a nurse and they were in a hospital, the poisons of that kind were not cosily prepared somewhere on the table for her. And screwing Sherlock´s equipment so that he would die after she left the hospital was harder than it looks + it was too uncertain if Sherlock would indeed die. Mary´s assault of Magnussen was well prepared, still, it was royally screwed up by stupid chance (or a deliberate set-up by Janine?). To risk another such chance would be stupid on Mary´s part.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 13, 2015 8:40 pm  #1424

Why would Mary need to know hospital routines inside out?  It was clearly easy enough for people to be alone with Sherlock (including Magnussen, if youcount the cut scene).   So if they were trying to show us that Mary was trying to kill Sherlock but couldn't get him alone, then why do they actually show her alone with him? 

If Sherlock had died when he was being resuscitated, nobody would be arresting the people working on him - the truth is that he had a near-fatal injury, which had caused complications, and the death would be seen as a result of that.  If he'd died shortly afterwards, I bet (especially considering that Mary would know how to kill him effectively, and possibly without trace) that it would be initially thought that he died of his injuries and complications and the suspect would still be the unknown assailant rather than one of the staff or visitors at the hospital.  And even if the death eventually looked more suspicious, Mary would not be a prime suspect.   It's a lethal cocktail of an expert in killing, who also has medical knowledge, and a patient who has just been close to death. 

So I think if they wanted us to believe that Mary was trying to kill him and couldn't they needed to put more in.   If she thought that Mycroft had a hidden camera, then why was she threatening Sherlock?  (And why not just shoot him in the head in the first place?).  At least show her making an attempt on his life and being interrupted, even if it's one that Sherlock never knows about.  There might be more of an explanation in S4, but at the moment, I don't think they've given us nearly enough to be certain of it. 

July 13, 2015 8:49 pm  #1425

Admittedly it would be easy to kill Sherlock in hospital   , but how on earth would she get away with it?Surely she didn't manage to get in and out of such a busy and highly observed place without being seen or caught on camera, not to mention that again John also would be a suspect and likely close by. I don't think anyone has suggested Mary had any intention of attempting to kill Sherlock there anyway.
The contention was Mary shot Sherlock to prevent him telling John about her double life etc.But that is not even mentioned until after Sherlock survives.Sherlock says her problem was 'the witness' to her crime.
Indicating she shot Sherlock to cover the crime and escape the scene..... if Mary thought Sherlock knew it was-not tell John- the hospital threat visit would not have been necessary at all.?
Actually in many ways the hospital threat isn't needed at all .Sherlock doesn't need to be told..don't tell my husband I shot you or that I was going to kill Magnussen...thats kinda lol isnt it?
Which makes the whole scene superfluous anyway.
So why did they include it.

July 13, 2015 9:03 pm  #1426

Liberty wrote:

Why would Mary need to know hospital routines inside out?  It was clearly easy enough for people to be alone with Sherlock (including Magnussen, if youcount the cut scene).   So if they were trying to show us that Mary was trying to kill Sherlock but couldn't get him alone, then why do they actually show her alone with him? 

Magnussen was left alone with Sherlock, that´s true, but he was also clearly visible through the hall window and could be seen by many passers-by. It didn´t bother him, because he didn´t want to hurt Sherlock. Which is not Mary´s case - she couldn´t afford to be similarily careless.

Liberty wrote:

If Sherlock had died when he was being resuscitated, nobody would be arresting the people working on him - the truth is that he had a near-fatal injury, which had caused complications, and the death would be seen as a result of that.  If he'd died shortly afterwards, I bet (especially considering that Mary would know how to kill him effectively, and possibly without trace) that it would be initially thought that he died of his injuries and complications and the suspect would still be the unknown assailant rather than one of the staff or visitors at the hospital.  And even if the death eventually looked more suspicious, Mary would not be a prime suspect.   It's a lethal cocktail of an expert in killing, who also has medical knowledge, and a patient who has just been close to death. 

Sherlock´s body would be examined on pathology after his death and it would come to light soon, that he didn´t die as a result of being shot. And John and Mary would be the first ones under suspicion that they killed him.

Why bother killing Sherlock at all, if this would be the most likely result? It would be very unreasonable for Mary to act like that.

Liberty wrote:

So I think if they wanted us to believe that Mary was trying to kill him and couldn't they needed to put more in.   If she thought that Mycroft had a hidden camera, then why was she threatening Sherlock?  (And why not just shoot him in the head in the first place?).  At least show her making an attempt on his life and being interrupted, even if it's one that Sherlock never knows about.  There might be more of an explanation in S4, but at the moment, I don't think they've given us nearly enough to be certain of it. 

Mary must not fear Mycroft´s camera while threatening Sherlock, because the words: "Sherlock, don´t tell John" aren´t incriminating in itself. They may refer to a domestic matter, infidelity, etc. Mary was clever not to use more explicit wording. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 13, 2015 9:38 pm  #1427

Well, a camera would probably only capture Mary´s moves, not her voice anyway. 
And she moved as if she was soothing Sherlock in her "thret" scene - at least it could look like that through the camera.

July 14, 2015 3:49 am  #1428

nakahara wrote:

Well, a camera would probably only capture Mary´s moves, not her voice anyway. 
And she moved as if she was soothing Sherlock in her "thret" scene - at least it could look like that through the camera.

Totally. Easily explainable, whereas putting a pillow over John's head would raise a red flag. 

July 14, 2015 7:14 am  #1429

But why a camera but no bug?  And if they're wanting us to believe in a camera that Mary knows is there, but no bug, then why not be more explcit?

Yes, as I said, it's possible that a suspicious cause of death could be found later if they decided to do an autopsy, but it's certainly not a given (Mary's a killing expert and might know a way that wouldn't be detected).   And at that point, there's nothing to make Mary a suspect as neither Sherlock or Magnussen have told anyone.  In a hospital, there are loads of potential suspects - people working there, people coming in and out.   Oddly, it's the safest place.

The only thing that makes me think that Mary might have been trying to kill him is Sherlock's urgency in setting up the meeting.   But I think that Mary would have killed him even before then if she planned to do it regardless - no point in waiting and increasing the risk that he would tell.  And crucially, I think, she would have shot him in the head in the first place if she'd meant to kill him. 

(For me, the big flaw is that Sherlock flatlined - it's just a bit too close to death for comfort.  That's the bit that needs more explanation in my eyes, not secret cameras, etc.).

July 14, 2015 9:47 am  #1430

A surgery shot (whatever that may be) by a brilliant shooter not meant to kill but going wrong and nearly killing all the same?
Sorry, but this reminds me again of Moriarty saying that Sherlock wants everything to be clever, i.e. complicated. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 14, 2015 10:43 am  #1431

Swanpride wrote:

Well, a surgery shot can go wrong....I simply assumed that it did. Just a milimeter to close to an important blood vessel. Sherlock was bleeding out, right? A shot in the liver has usually a very high survival rate. And it is practically the only part of the body which can recover completely.

Yes, I think you're right, but for me, it would have worked much better if he hadn't been so close to death.   He survived only by a tiny chance.   And we're not really given a proper explanation about why that happened.  (In the commentary, Steven Moffat says that he wishes he'd made more of Mary's aim not being 100% perfect - she hit the coin off centre.   But that's not in the final version, and the liver isn't mentioned).   There's something that just really irks me about it, storywise (and also casts some doubt, I think).  It would have been so much neater if he'd just had the blood loss (which could still have led to the mind palace scene), but not the flatlining.   

Otherwise it comes across as a clue that Mary really did mean to kill him.  But it seems that Sherlock doesn't deduce that, and if he doesn't deduce it then surely we're not supposed to.  And of course it doesn't fit very well with Mary trying to kill him either (because she didn't shoot him in the head, or try to kill him in hospital, and she called an ambulance).   It's a weak point in the story for me.   I suppose it adds to the drama, but at a cost.

July 14, 2015 4:46 pm  #1432

Just pointing out that it is not a confirmed fact that Mary called the ambulance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 14, 2015 6:15 pm  #1433

Liberty wrote:

Yes, I think you're right, but for me, it would have worked much better if he hadn't been so close to death.   He survived only by a tiny chance.   And we're not really given a proper explanation about why that happened.  (In the commentary, Steven Moffat says that he wishes he'd made more of Mary's aim not being 100% perfect - she hit the coin off centre.   But that's not in the final version, and the liver isn't mentioned).   There's something that just really irks me about it, storywise (and also casts some doubt, I think).  It would have been so much neater if he'd just had the blood loss (which could still have led to the mind palace scene), but not the flatlining. 

But it makes perfect sense if you presume Mary really intended to shoot Sherlock dead.

Liberty wrote:

Otherwise it comes across as a clue that Mary really did mean to kill him.  

That´s precisely why I think she intended to murder him. Other things - like who called an ambulance, if there was a hidden camera, the motivation of Sherlock saying that Mary saved him etc. - we only can presume through our headcanons. But this is the fact that we can undoubtedly see on screen - and it really points to the conclusion you just cited.

What would interest me is Mycroft´s role in all this. Sherlock´s words at Lenister Gardens about Mary stealing an identity from a stillborn child can only come from Mycroft. So it seems Mycroft already knows about Mary being a killer of his brother. Yet he is totally oblivious towards her and doesn´t say a word to her during Christmas. Weird...

July 14, 2015 7:09 pm  #1434

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

But it makes perfect sense if you presume Mary really intended to shoot Sherlock dead.

Liberty wrote:

Otherwise it comes across as a clue that Mary really did mean to kill him.  

That´s precisely why I think she intended to murder him. Other things - like who called an ambulance, if there was a hidden camera, the motivation of Sherlock saying that Mary saved him etc. - we only can presume through our headcanons. But this is the fact that we can undoubtedly see on screen - and it really points to the conclusion you just cited.

What would interest me is Mycroft´s role in all this. Sherlock´s words at Lenister Gardens about Mary stealing an identity from a stillborn child can only come from Mycroft. So it seems Mycroft already knows about Mary being a killer of his brother. Yet he is totally oblivious towards her and doesn´t say a word to her during Christmas. Weird...

Aha-- but *is* Mycroft totally oblivious? Or is he staying off Mary's radar? Maybe Mary is just the tip of the iceberg!

July 14, 2015 8:07 pm  #1435

I agree that Sherlock almost dying fits with Mary trying to kill him: and I thought that's what we were meant to think.   But then other things don't fit.   If it's a clue, it's far too obvious a clue for Sherlock to miss, isn't it?   He must have factored that in to his deduction.   (To be honest, I had been hoping that it was a clue, because I find it really difficult to skim over.   But the more I think about it, the less I think it is.  I do think there's still a chance of it being explored more in S4, but I don't think it's in any way a given.  The explanation of the fall in TEH seemed kind of superficial and mechanical - the main questions that I had were left unanswered.   I have a feeling it will be the same in S4 - there's plenty of scope to make Mary a villain still, but I think the details of the shooting will be glossed over either way.  My feeling about it is that the writing is often very clever, but sometimes less clever and more emotional, and I think this was the case here - emotional impact rather than clever, neat detective stuff).

I don't see why Sherlock couldn't find out about Mary's background, though?  He would just need a phone with internet access.  I'm not saying Mycroft wasn't involved (kind of hard to believe that he somehow knew nothing throughout the episode), but I don't understand why Sherlock couldn't get the information himself - he's a detective, after all, and that would be a very simple job for him.

July 14, 2015 8:12 pm  #1436

Swanpride wrote:

Sherlock surviving the shot even though Mary did try to kill him makes to me way less sense than him bleeding out more than he should have after a wound like this. (And we all know why he flat-lined, because it is more dramatic...for the record, I think that the whole dying sequence is way to long and way too overdramatic...I love the episode, but I tend to loose attention whenever this part starts).

That explains a few things--- that scene makes it very, very clear-- that as Sherlock *was dying* that he knew it, and was attempting NOT to become Mary's murder victim. It's stated pretty explicitly throughout that scene--- it shows just how much Mary shooting him shocked and hurt him. It's absolutely agonizing.

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (July 14, 2015 8:17 pm)

July 14, 2015 8:16 pm  #1437

Something else to consider-- we have this idea that Sherlock is never wrong-- so his "deduction" (out right lie) that Mary "saved his life" must be true. But Sherlock (whom I suspect is suffering from PTSD) makes mistake after mistake after mistake all through s3. We Don't Know whether Sherlock is making an assumption about Mary saving his life because he doesn't want to hurt John, or whether it's to make himself less of a threat to Mary (so she won't kill him to death, this time) or-- whether he just can't beleive that someone he called friend would really try to kill him.

July 14, 2015 9:10 pm  #1438

Swanpride wrote:

Sherlock surviving the shot even though Mary did try to kill him makes to me way less sense than him bleeding out more than he should have after a wound like this. (And we all know why he flat-lined, because it is more dramatic...for the record, I think that the whole dying sequence is way to long and way too overdramatic...I love the episode, but I tend to loose attention whenever this part starts).

Really?!?
I love love love love love that part! It is brilliant filming! It is heartbreaking each time I watch it.

And "bleeding out more than he should have after a wound like this" could have been because (assuming you mean his breakdown in the flat) he left the hospital too early, because he needed Mary to tell John what she told him (no, wait, she threatened him) not to do and least but not last: Because Mary kicked that "proof of her shooting skills" towards Sherlock and made him bend down to pick it up.
Oh yes, she really was sorry that she had to hurt him....... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 14, 2015 9:22 pm  #1439

I agree, Mattlocked. The moment when she makes him pick up the coin always makes my hair stand on end.
In HLV I do not find one single moment in which I get the impression that she likes Sherlock, is compassionate or regretful towards him. This is also why the moment at the airport when they are hugging feels completely false to me. It has no connection to the rest of the episode, always provided that Sherlock is being honest. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 14, 2015 9:27 pm  #1440

That's because he sees good things in Mary which we don't see. 

Seriously, I'm still struggling with the "overdramatic dying sequence".

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera