BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2015 2:22 pm  #2021

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

May I point out that this thread is for discussing my thoughts stated at the beginning and the other Mary thread for all other discussions about her character?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2015 3:12 pm  #2022

Swanpride wrote:

In this case, the result shows the intention. If she had intended to kill Sherlock he would be dead. And to me, intention matters. As long as I can believe that she truly loves John (which I do), I can forgive a lot.

Just curious: would you tolerate the reverse - Sherlock hurting Mary grievously - because he loves John sincerely and think Mary and John´s child stand in the way of his love?

If Sherlock killed/disposed of John´s child and Mary for this reason, would you still consider him symphatetic?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 10, 2015 3:16 pm  #2023

Please read Susi's 2191

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

July 10, 2015 3:20 pm  #2024

Harriet wrote:

Please read Susi's 2191

I´ve read it but the post I´m reacting to is still in this thread and since I´m not an administrator, I have no idea (nor have the power) to remove the post No. 2190 into another thread.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 10, 2015 3:20 pm  #2025

You can quote it and copy the text in the box over there.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

July 10, 2015 3:22 pm  #2026

Everytime I try to copy the post of another member that way, the post somehow goes crazy / disappears, so there´s no helping it, sorry.

July 11, 2015 5:37 am  #2027

I have a question: one of the things Sherlock deduced about Mary was "Short-sighted". I think we've talked about possible issues with her vision, but suppose it actually means "short-sightedness"? Meaning she sees short-term solutions, not the long game. That could explain a lot of her actions--she reacts, and acts without really consdering the consequences. 

July 11, 2015 6:24 pm  #2028

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I have a question: one of the things Sherlock deduced about Mary was "Short-sighted". I think we've talked about possible issues with her vision, but suppose it actually means "short-sightedness"? Meaning she sees short-term solutions, not the long game. That could explain a lot of her actions--she reacts, and acts without really consdering the consequences. 

So you think of a double meaning of the word? Interesting ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 11, 2015 6:26 pm  #2029

Harriet wrote:

Please read Susi's 2191

July 11, 2015 7:07 pm  #2030

Harriet wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Please read Susi's 2191

Harriet-- I realize that you now moderate this thread, but I thought I was compliant with SusiGo's original post. Did you read it through? How narrowly are you interpreting things? Just curious-- because my last question had to do with the cloud of deductions Sherlock made about Mary in TEH. How was that non -compliant with your standard of what is allowable, here? Again, just curious-- and a little puzzled. 

July 11, 2015 9:53 pm  #2031

I sent you a PM 

July 12, 2015 10:14 am  #2032

As the existence of three Mary threads has caused some confusion, I am going to close this one. 2,200 posts are an amazing numbers which shows the great need for discussing the character. In order to avoid further misunderstandings, I would suggest this: 

Why we love Mary: I think this is self-explaining
Mary - the subject of discussion: open, controversial but polite discussion of Mary as a character

As for respecting other's opinions: This means that no one should post negative views in the former thread but also that no one should be prevented from discussing negative views in the latter. 

Thank you for all the interesting discussions in here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera