BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2015 6:15 pm  #1

Fanlore page

Coming from Ao3, I've just found Fanlore, the Fan-wiki from OTW.
http://fanlore.org/

I was surprised to see that apparently the Sherlock wikipage isn't up to date. And our forum here doesn't even appear on the page with the forum-recommendations... there are people who don't know this lovely place here?

I just wonder - has anyone of you ever had a look at the Fanlore-wiki? Is it good? I've read a bit there because I wanted some information about other fandoms I'm not familiar with. Now, that I've seen that the Sherlock BBC page isn't as well tended as the usual fan-crazyness would account for, I wonder if the other pages are in a similar state. Is Fanlore well-known? Do you use it? I mean, generally the page is informative, I just wonder. Is there also a similar place? Or where do you go for "research" about other fandoms?

here is the sherlock-page: http://fanlore.org/wiki/Sherlock_BBC

I would add the forum to the wiki-list, but I never worked on a wiki and have no idea what is the proper way to change stuff there :-)

Last edited by Whisky (June 27, 2015 6:36 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 28, 2015 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Fanlore page

I've never heard of it before, tbh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2015 2:15 pm  #3

I hadn't heard of it, either. I suppose it's a wiki about all fandoms which happens to have a sherlock page. I'll check it out later today -I'm in a car, and not much battery left. Better do that on a computer, I think!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 8, 2015 2:24 pm  #4

Lilythiell wrote:

I hadn't heard of it, either. I suppose it's a wiki about all fandoms which happens to have a sherlock page. I'll check it out later today -I'm in a car, and not much battery left. Better do that on a computer, I think!

Hope you're not steering yourself

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 8, 2015 7:52 pm  #5

Haha, no, kornmuhme, I was not driving

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 8, 2015 8:15 pm  #6

Right. Creating an account to help them out. And as soon as I can I'll say something about us here! Unless it's already been done, obviously!

July 9, 2015 1:57 am  #7

Hey Lilythiell, that's cool :-)
I don't know, it seemed a good idea, I don't know of other wikis. Also I adore ao3 and just thought if it's from the same source it must be good

eta: actually, I just read the discussions page of the bbc show article. It's in many parts not very nice. Maybe it's not too bad if someone jumps in there who actually likes the show, as it seems there are quite a few people over there who don't like it. (although why they would write an article about it then is beyond me)

Last edited by Whisky (July 9, 2015 2:04 am)

"It is what it is."

July 9, 2015 9:19 am  #8

I think it's there to help would-be fans to get to know the stuff. But I'm not sure at all (humpf) they're doing it right. Sure, it's full of specific lexicon
(Bechdel test? Glad I've learnt something here! Goes like this :
[list=1]
[*]It has to have at least two women in it
[*]who talk to each other
[*]about something besides a man..
[/list]
and they say BBC Sherlock "does not pass step 2", but what about the little exchange between Kate and Irene?), but there are inconstitencies, incomplete data, and little love, there...

July 9, 2015 3:02 pm  #9

I think that would be due to the nature of the show... the leading characters are male, it's all about Sherlock... so naturally the minor characters are used in the story to provide information about the main character. And if that would be a woman, they'd talk about a woman. "Friendship" talk between two women won't happen very often in Sherlock because it wouldn't add much to the story I guess?
I don't find that strange.

But, it is true that the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie film "prepared" the way for BBC Sherlock - because Sherlock Holmes was once again something people talked about, as the article says? Because honestly, I missed the movie completely. I remember watching it way too late on a dvd, and found it boring. I didn't think the BBC Sherlock was building up on the success (was it successful?) of that film. But as this is my personal view I might be wrong. I mean, I didn't even realise the 2009 movie had a fandom...

Last edited by Whisky (July 9, 2015 3:14 pm)

"It is what it is."

July 9, 2015 3:48 pm  #10

Couldn't agree more on the topic of women in Sherlock.
Same here, I didn't realise Sherlock the movie had a fandom. Well, I figured it had (when you search "Sherlock" on AO3, it's kind of obvious. Still...) They escaped me. (and I dare call myself a Sherlockian?) I couldn't say if the movies were successful, but RDJ and JL ... so I suppose that in that sense many people went and saw them in the cinema. As for the stories in themselves...Yeah, it's good. But I do think it was aimed at a mainstream audience. (sounds like I'm belittling the movies, but I'm really not. I just happen to like BBCSherlock more. Couldn't say the same about Elementary. Best not talk about it.)
/Oh crumpets, duties on that wiki are going to be huge^^/

July 9, 2015 4:45 pm  #11

/Oh crumpets, duties on that wiki are going to be huge^^/

Just be careful when taking it apart, judging from the discussion page there might be some who might bite back :D
(although most things aren't wrong per se. They are just unbalanced. I just dislike they take the series apart but don't emphazise the good stuff.  And there is not much on series 3 at all. Oh, and I love that comment somewhere saying "if it's that bad, why has it got such a huge fandom"...)

Last edited by Whisky (July 9, 2015 4:47 pm)

"It is what it is."

Board footera