BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2015 8:43 am  #81

Re: Christmas is cancelled at 221 B Baker

And there is of course the theory about the connection to Shakespeare's sonnet 57. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 15, 2015 8:45 am  #82

Yes, I only read about that one for the first time yesterday, and I like that theory (and practically confirmed in a tweet by Mark Gatiss!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 15, 2015 8:51 am  #83

Yes, it is. And I was watching Dr Who recently, the episode where the Doctor meets Shakespeare. Shakespeare tries to hit on him and the Doctor says: "57 academics just punched the air!" Made me very happy.  

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 15, 2015 9:00 am  #84

So it is obviously a meaningful number for Moftiss, they wouldn't put it in the scene without reason

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 15, 2015 9:03 am  #85

It was not a Moffat episode of Dr Who but we can safely assume that he knows the whole show and that he probably knows his Shakespeare, too. 

May 15, 2015 1:12 pm  #86

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, it is. And I was watching Dr Who recently, the episode where the Doctor meets Shakespeare. Shakespeare tries to hit on him and the Doctor says: "57 academics just punched the air!" Made me very happy.  

That is so fabulous I can hardly stand it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 15, 2015 4:36 pm  #87

If you're talking about the episode Smith and Jones, then that's funny because I just watched it this morning.  Although I don't remember that line...57 could be a significan number for the writers, or that they did for fun, but I don't know whether it's jealousy that John counted the texts.  He knows that Irene is related to the case they're on, so the counting of them probably has to do with the fact that it was part of their ongoing investigation and how clues could come from anywhere.

Clueing for looks.

May 15, 2015 5:23 pm  #88

If John thought they texts were part of the case why did he never ask what was in them? 
He's whole attitude seems to be letting Sherlock know that he knows who the texts are from and trying to find out if Sherlock is flirting with Irene. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 15, 2015 5:37 pm  #89

(Just a guess)
Maybe, but it would seem to me that he's puzzled by the way they interact with each other more than anything else.  Why is she so insistent, when Sherlock doesn't seem that swayed? How is this going to relate to the case? If I remember correctly, this is more surprising to John than it is to Sherlock?

Kind of on another note, how do we know that John counted the texts himself? Couldn't have Sherlock have mentioned it to him? Or, couldn't the phone read that there were that many without John having to actually count them? Either that, or he's just counted how many times he's heard the unusual alert sound.

Clueing for looks.

May 15, 2015 6:38 pm  #90

I always thought he counted the text alert sound. I don't think Sherlock would've mentioned it to him as John says that it's 57 from the one's he heard, and Sherlock replies: "Thrilled that you've been counting".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 15, 2015 6:51 pm  #91

Ah, OK.  I didn't remember that.  Then yeah, it's probably that he's counted the number of times he has heard the sound.  I think he's amazed at Irene's persistence.

Clueing for looks.

July 3, 2015 4:41 pm  #92

Gosh, I LOVE this Christmas scene!!! It's so revealing, in many cases! I've just finished reading this whole thread and I can only fully agree with all of you. I just want to add that I really like the scene - the shock in Sherlock's eyes" - when he realizes that Molly's present is for him, and that he must have hurt her very badly. I'm surprised, but very happy that Sherlock gets aware of having hurt another person - and that he cares! Lovely!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 3, 2015 7:07 pm  #93

kornmuhme wrote:

Gosh, I LOVE this Christmas scene!!! It's so revealing, in many cases! I've just finished reading this whole thread and I can only fully agree with all of you. I just want to add that I really like the scene - the shock in Sherlock's eyes" - when he realizes that Molly's present is for him, and that he must have hurt her very badly. I'm surprised, but very happy that Sherlock gets aware of having hurt another person - and that he cares! Lovely!

That whole Christmas bit was one of the best scenes in all of the episodes we've been given so far, IMO. Well-written, well-acted, something to delight fans of all persuasions, especially the johnlockers. Mrs. H, Lestrade, Molly, violin-playing, Sherlock at both his best and his worst, lovely John doing his best to be a friend to everyone, gifts, soft snow falling outside, lights in the windows. I need to get my DVDs out and watch this again!

Last edited by ancientsgate (July 3, 2015 7:09 pm)

July 3, 2015 7:50 pm  #94

@ ancientsgate: Maybe you should wait until Christmas time to get the FULL Christmas feeling .
By the way, I found all of your thoughts you expressed about this scene very convincing. It's a pity that I would only repeat you and the others to say what I felt when watching this scene ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 3, 2015 11:47 pm  #95

I love Ben's comment about this scene: "This might be the first time when people actually lose the sympathy with Sherlock".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 4, 2015 12:19 am  #96

kornmuhme wrote:

@ ancientsgate: Maybe you should wait until Christmas time to get the FULL Christmas feeling .

We're only a few days past the halfway-to-Christmas point in the calendar. And every day is a good day to see that show at its best!

By the way, I found all of your thoughts you expressed about this scene very convincing. It's a pity that I would only repeat you and the others to say what I felt when watching this scene ...

Feel free to discuss further, if that would be fun for you. I'd love to hear your take on some of the finer points, so as far as I'm concerned, go for it, if you want.

July 4, 2015 12:21 am  #97

Vhanja wrote:

I love Ben's comment about this scene: "This might be the first time when people actually lose the sympathy with Sherlock".

Yes, he certainly was a horse's ass in that scene. But there was (to me) something vulnerable and likeable about him, too, showing his humanity, flawed as it was. Don't we all have people like that in our lives, who are brilliant but lacking in social graces, and who you'd like to blacken their eye but also kiss them, right at the same moment?  lol

July 4, 2015 1:16 am  #98

I still don't get why he would go as far as comment the size of her "mouth and breasts", though. Sherlock can be rude because he lacks social grace and patience, but is very rarely consciously mean. And that final comment was just absolutely horrible.

Team Hudders!

July 4, 2015 1:42 am  #99

Vhanja wrote:

I still don't get why he would go as far as comment the size of her "mouth and breasts", though. Sherlock can be rude because he lacks social grace and patience, but is very rarely consciously mean. And that final comment was just absolutely horrible.

Weird that the writers wrote that comment for him to say, IMO. Weirder still that Ben's Sherlock would actually say it, so I agree with you. Maybe in the early episodes, both the writers and Ben were still experimenting with exactly who their Sherlock should be, how he should act, etc.

Board footera