BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2015 10:48 pm  #1

Sia and Maddie Ziegler

I was wondering if anyone else out there were familiar with the music videoes of Sia. 

I first heard her on the radio and thought she was Rihanna. Then I dismissed her as just another radio pop music thing - until I saw her videoes.

In most of her videoes, a young girl named Maddie Ziegler does some AMAZING dancing. Truly, awe-inspiring dancing.

This is from her very well-known song "Chandelier". Maddie is 11 years old in this video. Eleven! :

Then there is "Elastic Heart", a song from one of the Hunger Games movies. A video featuring - again - Maddie Ziegler and Shia LeBouf. Now, Shia I knew from the lastest Indiana Jones movie. I grew up with these movies, love them to death, and I thought he was a boring, Hollwyood pretty guy. He did this movie and some Transformers movie, playing forgettable parts with a pretty face.

And then I saw him in this music video. And my respect for the guy flew through the roof. Wow, this music video is one of the best things I've see in years. 

These two videos have blown me away. Wow, to see something like this from regular "pop music" makes me so happy. This is the most awesome thing I've seen in years!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 25, 2015 2:47 am  #2

Re: Sia and Maddie Ziegler

They really are amazing music videos. I have heard "Chandelier" on the radio and didn't realise it was Sia, it's so different from her work that I've previously heard. I loved her song "Breathe Me" back when it was used in the finale of Six Feet Under but didn't really go on to follow her music career. However recently I've been listening to her album Colour the Small One (purely because I was reminded of Six Feet Under lately and was feeling nostalgic for it). I think I also heard something about the music video for "Elastic Heart" recently, there was some controversy about it (which I ignored at the time, but just had a look at this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25L_CL6Fqyk to find out more). I'm glad I've finally got around to seeing the videos, thanks for posting them here Vhanja.

Maddie Ziegler is a truly talented girl. In a way, it's not surprising that she's only 11 years old - there is definitely a childish playfulness and energy, although her abilities are obviously as refined as a more mature dancer. She's been dancing since she was 2 apparently. It's a brilliant style of dance, almost like mime - I think she could be a talented actor too. Her facial expressions are just mesmerising. I wonder who choreographed the dances, or did she come up with them herself?

What an interesting lady Sia is. Further reading has led me to discover that she has written songs for/with Rihanna, Beyoncé Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue and Celine Dion, among others. She has also written an Anti-Fame Manifesto, which explains why she doesn't like to show her face in public anymore.

Last edited by ukaunz (June 25, 2015 3:56 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 25, 2015 4:37 am  #3

Oh and if you want to see more Sia videos, check out the avant garde performances of her songs she did live on the Jimmy Kimmel show - and also check out Jimmy Kimmel learning to do the dance from "Chandelier", it's hilarious

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 25, 2015 6:33 am  #4

That was… weird.  And interesting!  Just like you, I'd heard of Sia mentioned around due to her 'Chandelier' hit, but never checked out either, not being sure if she was just another pop music hit.  Similar with Shia… not bad in Indy and Transformers, but not mind-blowing, either.  Those videos, and that girl, though…!!  Thanks for sharing that...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 25, 2015 11:10 am  #5

I'm following Maddie Ziegler on Facebook now, will be very interesting to see where she will be going in her future.

The controversy annoys me. The people talking about "pedophilia" are the ones with the dirty minds. I find nothing sexual at all in the video.

Last edited by Vhanja (June 25, 2015 11:17 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 8, 2016 6:42 pm  #6

I want to follow up this with another amazing song and video from Sia (and Maddie Ziegler): The Greatest. It took me a couple of listens, but now I absolutely love the song.

As for the music video, some say it's meant as a tribute to the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting. It's very, very moving and wonderful, as all her videoes are. 

Last edited by Vhanja (November 8, 2016 6:42 pm)

Team Hudders!

Board footera