BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2015 10:59 am  #61

Re: Mycroft Holmes

That's not how I understood it. Magnussen wants to have Mycroft under his thumb and certainly hope he will by entrapping Sherlock ( I guess Magnussen didn't really want the laptop, as he seems to know that being caught with the laptop would be compromising for him). But Mary being way to reach Mycroft doesn't mean she compromises Mycroft.

June 23, 2015 11:00 am  #62

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

It's a real probability IMO, that S4 revolves around a dark secret from Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes 's past.
But given that I don't like the idea of Sherlock Holmes being his brother's puppet, I think I'll stay away from M theory ( moreover, I don't wish the show turning to a complicated thriller scenario).
I can imagine some ways Moriarty is still alive, but Mycroft knowing it and agreeing that his brother is away, miserable and tortured for two years while the center of the network he wants to dismantle is still in activity, is too vicious for me.

I think if Moriarty is still alive, than Mycroft has to know, or at least suspect. While only Sherlock and Moriarty knew what happened on the roof of Bart's, it seems implausible that Sherlock would not have told his brother the one surprising thing that happened there: that Moriarty committed suicide. But if Moriarty is still alive, Mycroft would have failed to discover his body on the roof (so would the police when they investigated the place from which Sherlock jumped into his “death”). The police would not have suspected a body on the roof, but Mycroft would. The question then would be: If Moriarty’s body vanquished, why didn’t Mycroft tell Sherlock?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

June 23, 2015 11:11 am  #63

Maybe Mycroft can suspect it ( that's how we can see the scene in "the empty hearse" when he asked Sherlock if he's sure the whole network has been dismantled) but if he knew it for sure, he guess he would have told Sherlock, and certainly not letting him sent away.

June 23, 2015 11:17 am  #64

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

That's not how I understood it. Magnussen wants to have Mycroft under his thumb and certainly hope he will by entrapping Sherlock ( I guess Magnussen didn't really want the laptop, as he seems to know that being caught with the laptop would be compromising for him). But Mary being way to reach Mycroft doesn't mean she compromises Mycroft.

It would fit with CAM’s MO wouldn’t it? Take a bit of truth and twist it until one of the great has fallen. Mycroft, who is the British government personified, the British secrets service and the CIA on a freelance basis, associates himself with an undercover assassin who went rouge on his American friends. That should be enough to turn those friends against him and bring him down, shouldn’t it? Though I think CAM did not plan on cashing in on Mycroft for a long time, as long as he did not do too much harm (=anything that Mycroft would have deemed more important than his own fate), he was under Mycroft’s protection, that was far more valuable than seeing Mycroft down and CAM was, after all, a businessman.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

June 23, 2015 11:28 am  #65

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

Maybe Mycroft can suspect it ( that's how we can see the scene in "the empty hearse" when he asked Sherlock if he's sure the whole network has been dismantled) but if he knew it for sure, he guess he would have told Sherlock, and certainly not letting him sent away.

so the questions are:
Is Moriarty still alive? (Remains to be seen, if we take the after credit scene into account, very likely)
If yes, did Mycroft know? (Everything else would be OOC or Mycroft finally has an opponent who isn’t a goldfish)
If yes, why didn’t he say so?

I love it!

June 23, 2015 11:43 am  #66

If Magnussen wanted Mycroft compromised directly through Mary, then he had all the informations he needs before entrapping Sherlock in Appledore. Moreover, Mycroft is not, according to what we know, a public person ( he is the british governement undercover, but he's a civil servant ocupying a minor place in the public eyes) so it's doubtful that Magnussen can use newspapers against him. I think magnussen needs to trap Sherlock to have a direct and private access to Mycroft ( by threatening him of revealing Sherlock's been caught giving/selling confidential informations)

June 23, 2015 11:46 am  #67

Lola Red wrote:

so the questions are:
Is Moriarty still alive? (Remains to be seen, if we take the after credit scene into account, very likely)
If yes, did Mycroft know? (Everything else would be OOC or Mycroft finally has an opponent who isn’t a goldfish)
If yes, why didn’t he say so?

I love it!

I love it too   And that's why I hope S4 will put Mary's story aside 

June 23, 2015 12:47 pm  #68

So do I. But I suspect that they will not show us an idyllic marriage where John solves cases with Sherlock while Mary looks after the baby. Or even worse, with Mrs Hudson looking after the baby while we get a crime-solving trio. 
I get the impression that Mary's story is far from over. Which does not mean we do not get an interesting Mycroft story arc as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2015 12:55 pm  #69

My biggest issue with M Theory is that I DO NOT want Moriarty to be alive.  If he is it will be the greatest dissapointment.  I feel like it will invalidate a lot of the emotional journey of TRF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 23, 2015 12:57 pm  #70

SusiGo wrote:

I get the impression that Mary's story is far from over. Which does not mean we do not get an interesting Mycroft story arc as well. 

We might even get both at the same time, a story arc which includes Mycroft AND Mary, together. We have mentioned it before, it's very hard to believe that Myroft didn't know about Mary. So we might get an explanation why that is... or why he knew about her and didn't tell Sherlock nor John.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 23, 2015 12:59 pm  #71

tonnaree wrote:

My biggest issue with M Theory is that I DO NOT want Moriarty to be alive.  If he is it will be the greatest dissapointment.  I feel like it will invalidate a lot of the emotional journey of TRF.

For me it would depend on how this is presented and explained. It would have to be a very good and convincing explanation. And I'm afraid I have my doubts if Mofftiss would be able to make this more convincing than, let's say, the explanation for the fall.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 23, 2015 1:08 pm  #72

I get the feeling Mycroft and Mary are hard to seperate. We're talking Mycroft in the Mary thread, and Mary keeps coming up in the Mycroft thread. I don't mean anything by it, but it has some significance, no? There's something......

If Moriarty is alive, I shall turn absolutely monstrous. Well, tbh, simply that we're discussing the possibility, is already hurting my TRF feels. I'm totally with you there, tonnaree.

I rewatched HLV and suddenly could see why some see Mary as not-the-villain. For a moment, I could even imagine she won't play a big role in s4 anymore. But everytime I watch any of the episodes, I feel a need to get to know more about Mycroft. That's why I'm also sure there must be some storyarc for Mycroft ahead. He is one of the few bigger characters who is still very much in the dark, imo.

Yes, I also cannot see how Magnusson has actual power over Mycroft. Which kind of government secrets has he? How would he publish them without s.o. questioning his sources? And even if he did, why would they put pressure on Mycroft only?

Also, the last scenes in HLV show that Mycroft isn't a lone wolf in governmental questions. He clearly has people who trust him, and he apparently shares information with them, even explaining his reasoning. Makes blackmailing him not so easy.

"It is what it is."

June 23, 2015 1:08 pm  #73

True. It would have to be a very good explanation and I am sure they know it. And there is still hope that it was a trick. But alive or not, they managed to make Mary the true cliffhanger, didn't they? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2015 1:10 pm  #74

SusiGo wrote:

So do I. But I suspect that they will not show us an idyllic marriage where John solves cases with Sherlock while Mary looks after the baby. Or even worse, with Mrs Hudson looking after the baby while we get a crime-solving trio. 

It may be impossible in the long run, but, if S4 takes place just after the end of S3, with Mary close to due date, we absolutely can imagine she'll stay away from the Moriarty case.

June 23, 2015 1:12 pm  #75

Maybe. Still, I cannot imagine them keeping her in the background for a whole series without further developing her character. 

June 23, 2015 1:19 pm  #76

Whisky wrote:

If Moriarty is alive, I shall turn absolutely monstrous. Well, tbh, simply that we're discussing the possibility, is already hurting my TRF feels. I'm totally with you there, tonnaree  

Why? Because Moriarty wouldn't have been really suicidal?
Because, if he "just" tricked everyone, it doesn't change things a great amount.

Whisky wrote:

I also cannot see how Magnusson has actual power over Mycroft. Which kind of government secrets has he? How would he publish them without s.o. questioning his sources? And even if he did, why would they put pressure on Mycroft only? 

I guess he want the possibility to pressure Mycroft, so that he gives him confidential informations.

June 23, 2015 1:24 pm  #77

Whisky wrote:

I rewatched HLV and suddenly could see why some see Mary as not-the-villain. For a moment, I could even imagine she won't play a big role in s4 anymore. But everytime I watch any of the episodes, I feel a need to get to know more about Mycroft. That's why I'm also sure there must be some storyarc for Mycroft ahead. He is one of the few bigger characters who is still very much in the dark, imo.

Mycroft just seems to play himself more into focus with every rewatch, doesn't he? The more I see of him, the more I ask myself what game he is playing - or, maybe, I'm just not cut out for 2-year hiatusses and start seeing things that are not there...

June 23, 2015 1:36 pm  #78

I just had a look at the final scene of ASiP - in which Mycroft is compared to Moriarty (criminal mastermind) and people like Mary (working for the CIA on a freelance basis). Of course he is not exactly like either of them but his dealings have always seemed a bit shady. So I would not be surprised if he was in some way blackmailed or under pressure or compromised. I do not think he is a villain, far from it, but he might be not be omnipotent after all. 

June 23, 2015 2:19 pm  #79

I hope M theory is wrong .
I think there is/was a government official behind Moriarty and I think it is Sir Edwin.Tim Mcinnerny who has recently taken the role looks like every picture of Moriarty drawn and fits the canon description to a T .
A positional rivalry between he and Mycroft looked likely and taking down a 'bad guy' in a position similar to Mycrofts would be difficult and mean a long watch and wait game.
Moriarty and Sherlock maybe were being used by their elder brothers , Mycroft and Sir Edwin who are playing political power games.
Perhaps Mycroft was manipulated into punishing the other one and now they are trying something similar with Sherlock.
I thought M Gatiss saying Mycroft was based on Peter Mandelson was hilarious and some government can also be the bad guys trashing seems canonish and Sherlock style.

June 23, 2015 2:28 pm  #80

You think Moriarty's Brother is behind the broadcast? In a way, it would suit the canon, as Colonel Moriarty published a letter to defend the memory of his brother.

Board footera