BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2012 7:03 pm  #21

Re: The first scene with Sherlock craving for a smoke/a case.

Apologies for typos in last post!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 12:10 am  #22

I was thinking of this (and, ha, I'm trying to translate this into French, I keep forgetting I don't have to XD) but I couldn't remember which story it was in. It's definitely a very horrific passage!

I think I read somewhere (screw it, I'll just get the book!) that the position on drugs was generally favorable. Freud actually recommended it to his patients, and began treating himself with it in 1884. He even wrote a monograph, Uber Coca, singing its praises, but by 1887 he backed off. He still maintained that it had medical uses after that.

Physicians believed that alternating use of morphine and cocaine would lessen the addictive and physical effects of each, and that's probably why Sherlock does this.

In the introduction to the Bantam Classic editions of the canon, Loren Estleman notes:

In his objection to this habit Watson was ahead of his time, for with the drug only six years on the market the advertising industry stressed widely the curative properties of a substance then obtainable over the counter...Watson anticipates later findings concerning its effect on brain tissue and threat of addiction...

So, yes, Conan Doyle was being a bit cautionary with the beginning of Four. He wasn't wrong, though, as we know very well now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

May 29, 2012 1:14 am  #23

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but your mention of :

the position on drugs was generally favorable. Freud actually recommended it to his patients, and began treating himself with it in 1884. He even wrote a monograph, Uber Coca, singing its praises, but by 1887 he backed off. He still maintained that it had medical uses after that.

reminded me of a poster I saw the other day. In my job I visit many of our major hospitals & I was in a staff lift in one building. Now they have a lot of old memorabilia around to show how times have changed.
Anyway, this poster from I think it was 1930 or 40 era had a picture of a mother & baby & a caption similar to these words:

" Just one drink of Cola every day can have positive effects on your growing child's health"

Amazing how much we have learnt since.

*please return to normal transmission now*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 31, 2012 8:18 pm  #24

To Moderator/Big Mouth.

If you recall in episode 1 series 1, Sherlock is covered with nicotine patches. Says they help him think. Probably by taking his mind off severe craving cigarettes. Some people are really hooked. Some people need self-medication. 

Doyle's Sherlock he used cocaine.

There was a slight mention by John of Sherlock having had a druggie background. "You? Of all people?"

Sherlock is borderline 'mental' and manic behavior is exaggerated in people with bipolar or OCD.

BTW, S's only beginning to act "human" because John is helping him with socially acceptable behavior...'say thank you', 'just put the hat on'...

WIthout cigerettes and nicotine patches Sherlock is also displaying his emotions. I.E., caring about people, asking for help, feeling sad or afraid before he jumps (relying on people?) and most of all anger.

So no I don't think he was over doing it in that scene... the director told him to too.

I find some scenes like the bloody spear scene and the scene where he tries on a yellow slicker to be comedy elements. Funny wrapped up in crazy, intelligence vs. emotions. I like ironic humor. Most people don't get it. Oops. Feeling superior to ordinary people like S. and M. 

HmmmI never caught that...S (sherlock) and M (moriarty).  S & M.

July 31, 2012 8:52 pm  #25

Even more of a slight mention by Sherlock to John saying, 'You might want to shut up now! ' during the drugs bust when John is trying to tell Lestrade how ridiculous it is to search Sherlock's  flat for drugs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 9:02 pm  #26

Now that you put it back up here I can tell you my opinion about this "over-done" scene.
I'm (unfortunately still) a smoker and I really can get nervous when I don't find cigarettes because I forgot to buy some.
Well, I never reacted as Sherlock did, though.
But still I liked this scene and didn't think it was too much. IMO it's the combination of "I NEED A CASE!" and "GIVE ME SOME (cigarettes)!"
Extremely bored, no new good (!) case + lack of nicotine = for Sherlock a normal reaction.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 1, 2012 1:38 am  #27

What strikes me every time I watch this scene is how Benedict can keep tapping his fingers so quickly and for such a long time, all the while doing other things with his body.  I mean that as a compliment.  All the physical twitching he does here I find amazing to watch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 1, 2012 7:44 am  #28

If you watch the video of him trying to solve puzzles in real life he does the same. I'll try to find the link, if I can.

August 2, 2012 4:09 pm  #29

That's the link showing Benedict solving puzzles

Benedict Cumberbatch Sunday Times Interview 2010

Very bright and modest with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

August 2, 2012 4:15 pm  #30

And there are those crinkles over the nose again.....  1:22- 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 4, 2012 4:10 pm  #31

Regarding Sherlock's drug habit in the canon I've been wondering how he could handle three cocaine injections a day for weeks (as mentioned in Sign) and then suddenly stop resp. not become a real addict whose life was totally dominated by drugs. I'm no expert but three injections per day seem very much to me. I'd like to know if it's really possible to switch this habit on and off by sheer determination or discipline. I'm able to smoke a cigarette one evening and then don't touch a fag for weeks but this is not really the same, is it?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2012 7:05 pm  #32

I guess that cocaine probably wasn't as strong in Victorian times as it is now so it probably wasn't as addictive. He seemed to only take it when he was bored and had no mental stimulation so obviously wasn't a proper addict, otherwise he'd be doing it all the time even when he was on cases and wouldn't be able to just stop.

As to cocaine addiction in general...it's not physically addictive in the same way that something like heroin is. The addiction is more a mental one. You get addicted to the feeling it gives you and want more of that feeling. But that's why it is possible for people to have casual cocaine habits eg. just having some at the weekends when they go out. Of course that doesn't work for everyone, it depends on your  personality type whether you let it become a main feature in your life.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 4, 2012 7:16 pm  #33

Thank you, Boss, for the explanation. I didn't know that the physical effects are less strong than in heroin or other drugs. However, in Nicholas Meyer's novel (and the film adaptation) "The Seven-Percent-Solution" the withdrawal symptoms seemed to be quite agonising. But then Sherlock was depicted as a real addict, not as an occasional user.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2012 10:29 pm  #34

Just want to say: Thanks, Morton, for the link to the video.  I really enjoyed it, and hearing Benedict discuss his other roles in addition to seeing the finger-tapping and nose-crinkling.  His insistence that the globe represented To the Ends of the Earth was quite funny.  He must be very proud of that series (as well he should be)!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 5, 2012 5:07 am  #35

"For years I had gradually weaned him from that drug mania which had threatened once to check his remarkable career. Now I knew that under ordinary conditions he no longer craved for this artificial stimulus, but I was well aware that the fiend was not dead, but sleeping"

(Watson in Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter)

August 5, 2012 8:43 am  #36

The Doctor wrote:

"For years I had gradually weaned him from that drug mania which had threatened once to check his remarkable career. Now I knew that under ordinary conditions he no longer craved for this artificial stimulus, but I was well aware that the fiend was not dead, but sleeping"

(Watson in Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter)

Reading this quote, I couldn't help but instantly replacing "fiend" by "Moriarty"...
At least, Sherlock was kind of addicted to him, wasn't he?

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 5, 2012 6:27 pm  #37

Thanks very much for the quote, Doctor, that's very revealing. It shows clearly that even Sherlock can't just use it for recreational purposes and stop taking it when he feels like it. And, Tobe, you're right, his relationship to Moriarty is similar to an addiction. It's a mixture of fear and fascination and I'm sure he wouldn't be able to stay away from the temptation that Moriarty represents.

August 6, 2012 5:43 am  #38

As is Moriarty's addiction to the presence of Sherlock.

August 6, 2012 7:57 am  #39

Yes, the addiction is definitely mutual. So one of them had to go.

September 6, 2012 4:48 pm  #40

kazza474 wrote:

I thought I would mention this. Nothing wrong with it and no clues to anything in it.
Let me remind you of what I am talking about, it is after he comes in all covered in pig blood with his harpoon.
He looks for smokes, can't find them etc.

*oh BTW* Do you realise this scene proves Sherlock to be a liar in 'Scadal'?

He begged John for some smokes .......... TWICE!!!!!

Anyway, back on track here.
When Sherlock sits down and starts stamping his feet, twiddling his thumbs, did anyone else find that a bit 'over the top'?
I know, as an on again/off again quitting smoker, I can be pretty on edge when I can'y have a smoke and I probably could carry on that way a bit. But for Sherlock I just thought it was a bit 'over the top'. Whenever I rewatch it, I try to skip that part because it just REALLY annoys me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just caught this! The begging twice is hilarious, especially if one is a smoker. I paused and came straight here to see if anyone else saw it. Yes, the twitching is OTT; not tearing the flat apart, I've done that, but there was something wrong with the spastic bit, more Three Stooges than Sherlock. The begging twice sort of makes up for it, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

Board footera