BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2012 8:06 pm  #81

Re: IOU and it's potential meaning(s)

I was actually thinking this theory and was looking for specific references to when the IOU's appeared before stating it but I found this blog entry that perfectly (and more eloquently) summarized my thoughts.

http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/17193514038/i-apologize-if-this-has-been-answered-before-but-the-i

To me, the IOUs were more Morirarty's messages to Sherlock that a move has been made in their game that led to the solution of their Final Problem. They occur throughout the episode as an indirect dialogue between the two players.

I think Holmes says IOU when looking through the microscope to continue the dialogue between him and Moriarty and indicate that he has a move now as well to make, and that's the move that enables him to survive the fall. This is the clue to the audience that he has a plan when meeting Moriarty on the rooftop.

Last edited by Lupin (July 29, 2012 8:08 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 29, 2012 8:58 pm  #82

Ahhh yes, I see what you're trying to say. There are three IOUs - one on the apple, one outside the flat on the wall and one on the windows opposite Scotland Yard.

So, are you saying that the one on the apple is a warning for John, because it was left IN the flat, the graffiti for Mrs Hudson (it's possible that it may have been visible from her ground floor flat window) and the Scotland Yard one for Lestrade, and that was how Sherlock knew the third sniper was for Lestrade and not Molly, as Molly would have been the far more obvious choice.

Interesting and fun theory, I like it a lot, even if it's not right I think it's a nice idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 29, 2012 9:32 pm  #83

I don't know whether Moriarty would have see Molly as a more obvious choice. He had only seen Sherlock treating her very badly in the lab when she introduced him as her boyfriend.

Also, would the writers have achieved the same level of tension/internet gossip if when Lestrade had asked "what do you need?" in a darkened room and Sherlock had replied "You"  (OK ~ perhaps it would!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 30, 2012 2:08 am  #84

"By confronting Molly with "IOU" Sherlock wants to find out whether Molly has got or seen an IOU recently as well"

gosh, that's why I love this forum. That's brilliant!

July 30, 2012 7:03 am  #85

The Doctor wrote:

"By confronting Molly with "IOU" Sherlock wants to find out whether Molly has got or seen an IOU recently as well"

You see that is one bit I find laughable, not 'brilliant'.
Molly is not too fast on the uptake when things are right in front of her; Sherlock knows this only too well & yet he is obtusely 'confronting' her about this supposed 'message'?

I'd sooner swallow the bible theory with the apple, etc.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 30, 2012 7:23 am  #86

But consider this:

IOU carved into the apple - John would ask Sherlock 'what did you do that for?' after finding it in the flat.

And an IOU graffiti opposite 221 Baker Street would have been noticed by Mrs Hudson, who would have bickered about it to Sherlock ('vandals, couldn't you find them and hold them responsible" etc

And Molly would have indeed said, 'funny you should say that as...".

I am, however, the first to admit that our discussions and ideas are pretty much a bit out there by now. It is a wonder we are not any more bonkers seeing how long we have already been waiting for more episodes

July 30, 2012 7:27 am  #87

We all know it rots the brain!

July 30, 2012 10:13 am  #88

To me Sherlock mutters 'IOU' under his breath because he is pondering what Moriarty means by it, what challenge it poses and how he can plan accordingly. It is a subconscious muttering that Molly was not supposed to hear because he was oblivious to her being right beside him at the time.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 12:09 pm  #89

Fair enough.. but it would be SO CLEVER if it would have been more than that. Or as it was said 'you want it to be too clever'?

July 30, 2012 3:33 pm  #90

kazza474 wrote:

The Doctor wrote:

You see that is one bit I find laughable, not 'brilliant'.
Molly is not too fast on the uptake when things are right in front of her; Sherlock knows this only too well & yet he is obtusely 'confronting' her about this supposed 'message'?

I'd sooner swallow the bible theory with the apple, etc.

Oh silly me forgot that you are the one who knows a lot more than the rest of us, Kazza!
I've been under the distinct impression for some time that you might be Mofftiss' ghostwriter.
Anyway, I'm always happy to be of service to you when it comes to having a good laugh over ridiculous theories. (No offence!)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 30, 2012 11:03 pm  #91

It seems a bit stretched since these IOUs were seen by Sherlock, not by the victims. Sherlock only mentions the apple to John (Moriarty only touched an apple in the flat) or the grafitti to Mrs. Hudson. The IOUs are not sent to the victim. Even if Molly had seen an IOU somewhere, she wouldn't have known it was something she should remember seeing. I doubt Sherlock would trust Molly to be as observant as him in seeing these signs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 30, 2012 11:59 pm  #92

Ouch, Molly is not that numb. A mortuary technician is by nature pretty independent and used to paying attention in line of their work.

Remember , we are supposed to see her emotional clumsiness but she is surely an exceptional professional!

July 31, 2012 12:04 am  #93

An exceptional professional at her job of being a mortician, not at being a detective, especially when she's oblivious to what's going on with Moriarty. She doesn't know about their game until Sherlock brings her in when he asks for her help. I don't think muttering IOU would trigger someone to say "Oh wait, I saw an IOU spray-painted outside the hospital today. What do you think it means?" Plus, for all Sherlock knows, the apple IOU is meant for him, not John. There's no reason to believe he would link IOUs to murdering his friends, since Moriarty gave NO indication this was part of his plan before the fall outside of John.

Also, Sherlock looks down on everyone else for their deductive reasoning. It seems unlikely he'd expect Molly to pick up on a subtle cue. I'd imagine he'd outright ask Molly if she'd seen an IOU. The knowledge of IOUs doesn't put Molly in danger if she hadn't seen one.

Last edited by Lupin (July 31, 2012 5:25 am)

July 31, 2012 7:45 pm  #94

I haven't got an inkling as to what IOU means. It's baffling and I don't think there are any red herrings.

There are many forshadowings and repeated images. The most obvious is the clues leading to "fake suicide".

There are also dozens of links to TRF from all the preceeding episodes. More like Forsyth Saga than Inspector Lewis. I tell people to be sure to watch Sherlock series from the beginning.

I have a weak idea what IOU means: Moriarty owes Sherlock for creating him (Moriarty) as a notorious, going-down-in history master criminal. He found an equal intellectual and was finally able to match wits against him. A real rival finally after being surrounded by boring ordinary people.

But then why was he surprised at the end to find out Sherlock was him, listening intently and saying yes, you are me.

IOU could mean a lot of other things but I'm unable to unravel them to find out what.

Also IOU for something Sherlock did to him and he wants revenge. But what?

Maybe he thinks Sherlock stole the affection of Irene and Molly from him and that's why he takes Kitty away from Sherlock. (allegiance nor love I would say.)

Or Sherlock ruined his career as not only master criminal in charge of things in London and the world. Plus Sherlock ruining his career as a TV storybook man for children? That may be how he scared the children to scream when they saw Sherlock. Putting Sherlock as the villian/ogre in a fairytale. "Every story needs a good villian...

IOU has something to do with The Final Problem element?

Or the painting Sherlock recovered The R. Fall. Was Moriarty also an art thief and Sherlock twarthed him? By the time he comitted suicide he'd given up on caring about anything...too boring and mundane. Sherlock was the Final Problem to him. Not only did Sherlock make him a famous criminal, Sherlock then took that away from him. He wanted to return the favor. IOU means IOU for making me a notorious criminal and IOU for taking that away from me by the end of the show.

It may relate to Doyle's story more directly. Did Holmes kill Moriarty or did Moriarty kill Holmes?

I don't think any element in a good screenplay is insignificant. Everything is there for a reason. But the screenwriters have a penchant for explaining everything very simply (cliffhangers with simple explanations).

We're taking this all way too seriously. It's entertainment and fun. And I love it.I hope it runs as long a Poirot.

July 31, 2012 7:49 pm  #95

I think the "ash" theory of IOU is wrong. Or maybe a puzzle for super-intelligent people (on the level or Sherlock and Moriarty) to uncover on a deeper level. That might be all it is and not a "clue".

July 31, 2012 9:02 pm  #96

In effect in the original story they both died. That is how the original story was written and that should have been the end of Sherlock Holmes. HOWEVER, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was forced by pressure from the readership to resurrect Holmes. Therefore he had him surviving the fall at Reichenbach through the mysterious use of a martial art baritsu. Finally therefore it was just Moriarty who died at Reichenbach. One should conclude form this that Moriarty IS dead.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 1, 2012 4:51 am  #97

Interestingly enough, Conan Doyle later was happy he resurrected Holmes. He wrote that he thought he was restricted as a writer by sticking with Sherlock Holmes stories but later found that he could explore what he wanted to as a writer within the context of Holmes. I think this led to his two stories told by Holmes in first person, The Blanched Soldier and The Lion's Mane, as well as the Mazarin Stone told in 3rd person, that gave him the opportunity to experiment with narrative. I take inspiration from him as a writer myself. One need not feel trapped within a series or genre. There's always opportunity to innovate and reinvent.

I agree that until The Empty House, Holmes was dead, yet Sherlock as a tv show benefits from the hindsight of the whole canon. I believe it would be safe to assume it followed the canon in its entirety, and that Holmes survived while Moriarty died. I emphasize this parallel to the canon when thinking about theories of the fall. In the canon, Moriarty falls and dies and Holmes does not.

Last edited by Lupin (August 1, 2012 4:55 am)

August 1, 2012 1:16 pm  #98

Lupin wrote:

An exceptional professional at her job of being a mortician, not at being a detective, especially when she's oblivious to what's going on with Moriarty. She doesn't know about their game until Sherlock brings her in when he asks for her help. I don't think muttering IOU would trigger someone to say "Oh wait, I saw an IOU spray-painted outside the hospital today. What do you think it means?" Plus, for all Sherlock knows, the apple IOU is meant for him, not John. There's no reason to believe he would link IOUs to murdering his friends, since Moriarty gave NO indication this was part of his plan before the fall outside of John.

Also, Sherlock looks down on everyone else for their deductive reasoning. It seems unlikely he'd expect Molly to pick up on a subtle cue. I'd imagine he'd outright ask Molly if she'd seen an IOU. The knowledge of IOUs doesn't put Molly in danger if she hadn't seen one.

Agreed. and if these IOUs were supposed to warn the people involved, John never saw the apple. It would have been more likely that Mrs H saw it than John. I doubt lestrade would look out the windows of his office often & there would have to be someone there to turn the lights on & let him read it, IF he noriced it at all. I agree that I doubt 'the game' would rely on these three ordinary people being observant enough to notice & understand the graffitti etc.
They were simply in places where Sherlock would see them, forever taunting him. Near where his 'friends' were? Possibly but really that is more coincidence than anything, he really doesn't regularly visit any more places than these three, lol.
You can rely on him being in his flat & seeing the apple; you can rely on him leaving his flat & you can rely on him being at the police headquarters.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 1, 2012 2:15 pm  #99

I agree that they seem to be part of the mind games with Sherlock. Is the eye graffiti near the end of TBB part of this? I am watching you...

August 5, 2012 9:38 pm  #100

I noticed that John echoed the sentiment at the very end, when giving his little heartfelt funeral speech. Significant? I have no idea.

Board footera